It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MIT's Electric Cheetah

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 02:15 PM
link   
I'm sure you've seen footage of the Cheetah that MIT has been developing over the years. Now they have let the Cheetah loose and it's now electric powered. In the video, the Cheetah is only taking baby steps of about 10 mph but it will be running much faster in the near future. It can also recognize an obstacle and leap over it!

We've seen MIT's super-fast four legged Cheetah bot sprint on a treadmill many times, but it seems that the team at MIT is finally ready to let the thing outside. Now, quadrupedal bots traversing hill and dale are nothing new, but the Cheetah's doing so using a new algorithm and without the benefit of an internal combustion engine or hydraulics. That algorithm determines the amount of force the bot's custom high-torque electrical motors deliver, which in turn controls how fast the robot runs and how high it leaps. Using this force-based approach, the Cheetah is more stable and agile, according to the boffins at MIT, and it can maintain its balance as the speed of its gait increases. Not to mention that the electric motors are quiet, so instead of an exhaust note, you only hear the pitter patter of robot feet. This all adds up to a robot that can silently bound across uneven ground and even jump over obstacles. It's not as fast as its furry namesake... yet, but you can hear from its creators and see its bounding baby steps in the video

These robots are both amazing and terrifying. Imagine being tracked by one of these Cheetahs in the future. Truly right out of a sci-fi movie.

Sometimes we need to take a step back and survey the technological wonders before us. We are truly living in the future. Just think of how much farther ahead technology would be if we didn't waste so much on wars and politics.

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 03:03 PM
link   
a reply to: jtrenthacker

Impressive little guy so far. He's got a ways to go to hit actual cheetah velocity though. Seems like an airborne platform would be much more maneuverable. I'd be interested in what applications they have in mind for the thing. Or is it just to see if they can replicate nature?
edit on 15-9-2014 by Urantia1111 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 03:17 PM
link   
That is neat and all, but I don't see this thing working to well on uneven terrain having multiple obstacles at the same time to encounter....also, just push it over.....I haven't seen anything about this robotic cheetah being able to right itself like a cat. Can't really conceive of any military use this thing would be good for other than very flat environment recon missions.

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 03:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Urantia1111

The tethered version has actually hit 28.3 mph. If they can even come close to this without a tether, that would be pretty amazing. I'm not sure how they would get it to corner at that speed without wiping out. I feel we are still in the infancy of these types of robots. As for purpose? Well, I'm sure the military will be taking a look at technology used for these things. I'm sure there will be some discoveries along the way that will benefit domestic robotics as well.

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Reminds me more of how a sheep moves, though, especially when it jumps.

Very neat, but a long way to go before it's truly a robotic cheetah.

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 03:22 PM
link   
a reply to: jtrenthacker
Scale that up x100-Mecca city Stomper.
Fight for New York between Mega Electric Cheetah VS Mega Big Dog from Boston Dynamics.
Both armed to the nuts with uber freq weapons.

This is in our future folks.

This I prophesize.

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Oh....don't forget that Google also owns this company now....they bought Boston Dynamics a while back. Their head of robotics, Andy Rubin, has a vision for robotics.

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Legendary! Now throw a saddle on that bad boy and we can stop using cars

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 03:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vasa Croe
That is neat and all, but I don't see this thing working to well on uneven terrain having multiple obstacles at the same time to encounter....also, just push it over.....I haven't seen anything about this robotic cheetah being able to right itself like a cat. Can't really conceive of any military use this thing would be good for other than very flat environment recon missions.

Boston Dynamic's Big Dog seems to do ok over rough terrain. It also can pass the "kick" test. There is also footage of the "Wildcat" version galloping and cornering at a pretty good clip. I'm sure they could incorporate these algorithms and mechanicals in future versions of the Cheetah. The thing I like about the Cheetah is the fact that it is electric. One of the biggest negatives of untethered robots such as the Big Dog, is the annoyingly loud gas engines used for the power source.

edit on 15-9-2014 by jtrenthacker because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 03:37 PM
link   
I, for one, would like to welcome our new Electric Cheetah Overlords.

I could imagine that thing made out of polymer and being undetectable. Sent out into the desert to keep an eye out on our enemies.

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 03:42 PM
link   
a reply to: grey580

Would be pretty good sentries for border patrol I would think.

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 04:02 PM
link   
2019: Officer Howell activates his K9.2 and yells "Sick em' Tallica!"

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 05:22 PM
link   
It won't be long now that can retire the bounty hunter. just put a nuclear plant in that thing and you'll have to run all night and day to get away because it will!

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 05:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: grey580

I could imagine that thing made out of polymer and being undetectable. Sent out into the desert to keep an eye out on our enemies.

If it had the stealthy sneaky crawl/pounce gait that cats use, along with some HD stereo cameras, that would be awesome.

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 06:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: stormcell

originally posted by: grey580

If it had the stealthy sneaky crawl/pounce gait that cats use, along with some HD stereo cameras, that would be awesome.

Heck yeah. Makes me think of the Gen 1 Ravage transformer when I was a kid. We are getting closer!

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 06:46 PM
link   
They still have not understood what the paws are for.

It needs its paws and the ankle joint.

It is like asking a human to walk on two bloody stumps where the feet should be.

How can they not see this problem.

P

posted on May, 29 2015 @ 06:12 AM
link   
It can make autonomous running jumps now using an obstacle sensing laser and "fast" algorithms to calculate solutions to real time environment variables.

I would bet that within 10 years there is a "Robot" that could pursue and capture 99% of the population on foot.

Twinned with a drone side kick that launches from them and feeds them additional environmental intel, they could fulfill multiple high risk roles both in Combat and Law Enforcement.

posted on May, 29 2015 @ 04:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Jukiodone

Saw this last night and was going to post on here. They are becoming more capable by the month. Scary.

new topics

top topics

join