It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rand Paul Moving Away From Tea Party

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 01:41 PM
link   
www.newsmax.com... edium=widget&utm_content=542&utm_campaign=widgetphase2

Kentucky Sen. Rand Paul has been shifting his position on a number of issues, moving him from one-time libertarian ideologue to become "a politician, like everybody else," The Washington Post said.

In an article Sunday by David Fahrenthold, the newspaper said that the potential 2016 GOP presidential candidate risks damaging his image as "an authentic non-politician who is unafraid to stand up for his beliefs."

Interesting development!

On Medicare, he had previously backed a proposal to replace it with subsidies for seniors to buy coverage from private insurers. Now he is developing a new plan which may attempt to preserve the old Medicare system.

And on same-sex marriage, he previously opposed it but later suggested that the Republican Party back away from the matter and "agree to disagree" so as to welcome a broader cross section of the public into the party.

I liked hearing Rands alternative message buy I never really bought that he would abandon the GOP and run on a 3rd party ticket.
I'm sure there are plenty of disappointed conservatives that feel Rand sold out.

To me it just demonstrates what a stranglehold the 2 party system has on the political landscape. And thats a damn shame. The people need a voice but it looks like the Corporate oligarchy will continue to call the tune and we will dance to it.
edit on 15-9-2014 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 01:45 PM
link   
But the new stance on same sex marriage IS more Libertarian than the Republicans want. Libertarians would be against the state having anything to do with marriage in the first place and would therefore side more with the Democrats than the Republicans on that issue. Just saying. Though, to be honest, neither side adequately represents the Libertarian ideal (so either way could be argued)
edit on 15-9-2014 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 01:47 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

I liked hearing Rands alternative message buy I never really bought that he would abandon the GOP and run on a 3rd party ticket.

Probably because if he did try and get on the GOP ticket he would be denied just like his dad?

Thats a tough choice for him… the Devil or the deep blue sea.

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 02:03 PM
link   

No such thing as the "tea party" it was all a scam to keep republicans from jumping ship to the libertarian party. They saw there was going to be a max exodus and it was a threat to the two party joke so they came up with a fake party within a party. So that way they can keep there 50/50 presidential elections.

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 02:16 PM
link   
" Rand Paul Moving Away From Tea Party "

Sounds like He's getting serious about running for President.

I bet he keeps some of the Libertarian thinking though.

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Hmmm is it something to do with his ideas being in conflict with the Tea Party's ideology which is disturbingly close to the Taliban's?

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 02:49 PM
link   

The Tea Party was ruined as soon as they allowed Sarah Palin to talk on their behalf....

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 02:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: starwarsisreal

Hmmm is it something to do with his ideas being in conflict with the Tea Party's ideology which is disturbingly close to the Taliban's?

Wow now that's an insult...care to back up your claim that they are disturbingly close to the Taliban? Or are you just looking at youtube videos and taking what they say as fact...just curious...

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 02:54 PM
link   
a reply to: chrismarco

Well many of the so called members like Ted Cruz for example. In fact one of the problem with some these members was that they often bring God into politics like Ted Cruz's dad for example.

edit on 15-9-2014 by starwarsisreal because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Good, RP should back away from the Tea Party.

What began as an honest movement to create a new party outside of the Left/Right paradigm has become a collection of hardcore neoconservative partisans.

The Republican party is slowly breaking in to many different camps, most of whom would vote for RP if he did step away form the pro-life/anti-gay marriage platform and worried about fiscal....rather than social issues.

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 04:02 PM
link   
a reply to: sheepslayer247
Yeah, neocons hijacked it for the most part, most of us moved away from the tea party when palin etc started showing up.

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 04:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: chrismarco

The Tea Party was ruined as soon as they allowed Sarah Palin to talk on their behalf....

Couldn't agree more, Although I would have used "inflitrated" versus "they allowed".

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 09:26 PM
link   
Good for Rand Paul. It's smart politics, it makes me like him more too. The tea party started out with great ideals but became hijacked pretty quickly, currently their top people are a bunch of ultra conservative theocratic thinkers.

They have been unbelievably horrible on social issues and their financial competence is pretty ridiculous as well with such amazing ideas as anything Paul Ryan or Ted Cruz has spewed or the Penny plan.

The only good thing I can come up with in regards to the current day tea party is their insistence on us doing something about the border problem.

I don't know if Rand Paul would make a good president or not, it really comes down to what sort of campaign promises he makes but I do know that right now he's on the short list that I would consider voting R for opposed to third party.

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Agree with above. If Rand is seriously considering a run at the Presidency, he has to make the moves now to appear palatable to the swing vote. He has to, in effect, pander to moderates who are the voters most needed to win a Presidential election. He can't do that if he's associated with the Tea Party. he has to at least appear to have an appealing stance on social issues. Something Romney utterly failed at, last election.

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 12:27 PM
link   
What? Rand Paul moving away from the Tea-Party. Oh no, voters moving away from rand Paul.

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 12:05 AM
link   
I don't blame him for moving away from them. If he wants to have a chance at presidential election, he would be smart to distance himself from the abject buffoonery the Republican Party has spiraled into.

new topics

top topics

join