It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Desecrating objects of veneration.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 12:48 PM
link   
weird

The law provides, A person commits a misdemeanor of the second degree if he: (1) intentionally desecrates any public monument or structure, or place of worship or burial; (2) intentionally desecrates any other object of veneration by the public or a substantial segment thereof in any public place; … Definitions. — “Desecrate.” Defacing, damaging, polluting or otherwise physically mistreating in a way that the actor knows will outrage the sensibilities of persons likely to observe or discover the action.

Check out the link as I have not yet figured out how to post pics. (Will look into it when I have more time) Would this be considered desecration of a venerated object as it applies to #2 up there? This of course is in response to my other thread Charged for desecration of a jesus statue

Just wondering

here are some other things too

Please join in by posting pics that break this law but are protected by freedom of speech
edit on 15-9-2014 by theyknowwhoyouare because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 01:03 PM
link   
a reply to: theyknowwhoyouare

Crazy right? The first 3 are fine. They are basically saying you can't piss on or graffiti the Lincoln memorial or something. Fine I'll accept that. But it ends with the broadest possible "doing anything somebody could feasibly offended by". Somebody should find some ceremony with a religious monument that they can find any offense in and sue. If bj Jesus pic is worth two years in juvie surely there's a sweet payout the other way.

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 01:17 PM
link   
In my mind the problem is thing worship, not thing "desecration". Desecration is only possible if you worship things in the first place.

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 02:09 PM
link   
I don't hold with burning the Koran or the flag, but I constantly get overruled. I think there are things that people should simply respect because other people find them to be symbols of things that are deeply emotional and/or sacred.

There is a place where people need to stop the idea of freedom of speech out of respect for others. You can still say what you need to say without being a blatant d-bag.

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 06:59 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

A blatant d-bag or making a profound statement?
It is rather subjective, don't you think?

Flag burning, Qur'an burning....etc etc....It is a statement (many times) and a profound one at that. It is akin to using obscenities to "drive a point home".

.....imo

Though, I stick with ole George Carlin on this one. "Leave the symbols to the symbol minded"....

new topics

top topics

join