It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Icelandic government commission announces legendary sea monster exists .

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 11:27 AM
link   
I love this stuff! OK ATS'ers real or hoax?

A government investigation carried out by the Fljotsdalsherao municipal council in Iceland has ruled that a legendary sea serpent named Lagarfljotsormurinn, which is rumoured to inhabit Lake Lagarfljot, actually exists. According to the Discovery News, the commission ruled that a 2012 video of what is claimed to be Iceland’s most famous lake monster is authentic.

www.ancient-origins.net...

news.discovery.com...

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 11:32 AM
link   
I remember this. Wasn't that video just showing ice flow? It really looks like a lake surface that's almost completely frozen over and the serpentine shape is simply where the ice has fractured and wave or wind motion is churning the water, along with some ice chunks, through the crack, like a river flowing through a canyon or valley.

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 11:43 AM
link   
I'd like to see what made them decide it's factual.
I sure hope this isn't the deciding picture. LOL

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Man it gives me a headache even attempting to pronounce Icelandic words!

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 11:51 AM
link   
a reply to: nighthawk1954

municipal council in Iceland has ruled that a legendary sea serpent named Lagarfljotsormurinn, which is rumored to inhabit Lake Lagarfljot, actually exists.

Could be good for tourism. Look what Nessie did for her county?

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 12:00 PM
link   
It's not moving anywhere, the current makes it seems to move forward.

My guess is that it's a piece of rope or like that got stuck in the ice somewhere then floated downstream until it got stuck in the place of the video, sea monster not so much.

+9 more 
posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 12:04 PM
link   
It could be a huge unclassified type of oarfish living in the area or some kind of weird looking shark that is extremely large also. It could just be some other species that has existed that we have not classified yet also.

I'm sure there are a lot of creatures in the sea we do not know of. It is the deniers that make something like this a conspiracy. Why are they denying some creature we know nothing about exists when there is some evidence that it does exist. Why are they getting away with this denial, that is not science at all. It is like saying asteroids do not exist if we have not picked them up with our satellites or telescope. When one hits the earth, you don't automatically deny it was an asteroid without evidence showing it was something else. Yet people do it all the time because there is no proof other than eye witnesses. No scientifically verified evidence does not mean it is not real.

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 12:14 PM
link   
a reply to: NWOMGWTF
I am Swedish and I have problems too.

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 12:45 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Thankyou! If they were true scientists they'd look into it instead of denying it. Like Sasquatch, I don't buy the random lab test on TV or "It's bear hair, of course you should know that being a hunter/trapper for 50 years."

Too many people have encountered lifeforms that conventional science cannot explain. As humans we must hallucinate an awful lot, regardless of age or position in life. Because somehow many people run into things that can't be explained, and they're often the same as others (Sea serpents, Sasquatch, aliens).

Now this video could have been authenticated to stimulate tourism and the economy, or it could have been a lifeform that was captured on video. Given the area is icy, a sea serpent would have to be very flexible and highly durable.

Because it would have to twist its way through icy surface waters, maybe the icy land around the water. That's difficult enough for a human, so this looks like it has adapted to that tough environment. Anything that can survive in icy waters has to have tough skin.

The head reminds me of a snake.

Also, other countries aren't afraid to speak up and discuss "legendary beings" like the US.

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Theres more evidence for Asteroids (or Mickey Mouse for that matter) than Big foot or any other heretofore "unclassified" mythical monsters. We look back at Greek mythology and others that believed in this and that and we laugh. But our crypto mysteries are real… okay.

Forensics are the difference.

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 01:44 PM
link   

We are talking about a country that officially called off a construction of a proper road that goes through the center of the island... because of... are you ready? drum roll...

This will disturb the peace of the invisible elves residing there.

Not that I have something against elves, I like the fact that they include these kind of magic stuff in their decision making. Just take whatever comes from that country with a grain of salt.

Disclaimer: I absolutely love Iceland.

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 02:17 PM
link   
I like this part of the discovery news article

It’s not clear whether the “truth commission” was originally a serious study or a tongue-in-cheek stunt, but in the end it doesn’t matter. The local government paid out about $4,000, but it’s a tiny fraction of the money that monster tourism will bring

Which in the end is the only thing that matters, truer words have never been said, bring the $$$ cryptozoo lovers

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 03:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Mianeye

A snake?

Hmm...

Not a monster though.

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 04:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Shuye

Or it means they're not frightened to admit we share our existence with beings the majority of the West is told can't exist?

I know they reroute roads to avoid disturbing elves.

Non-Americans are less hesitant to admit that they don't know the entire planet despite what they've been taught.

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 05:22 PM
link   
i call real ,look at the wake the head creates its what cuts the ice to allow it to swim through

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 05:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: network dude
I'd like to see what made them decide it's factual.
I sure hope this isn't the deciding picture. LOL

NETWORK DUDE !!!

you found NESSIE

Party

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Sceince cant yet admit it doesnt have all the answers.

This "Snake" cut through the water, moved against the current and swam, wasnt moved with the water but moved the water. It had a substantial amount of weight.
Real or animatronic is the question.

In my local river we have/had a "river monster" legend. A big serpent, round as a football and about 10 meters long.
Many dont believe it, an old man was once telling me about it. He described it as a very-very large eel.
because science hasnt documented it, well its just a fake story.

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 06:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mianeye
It's not moving anywhere, the current makes it seems to move forward

True, it is not moving forward - if it was moving forward why did they stop filming before it reached the shore?

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 08:11 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Well, asteroids ARE real... and so is Micky Mouse, in a sense, as he's a real fictional character.

It is odd that the same creatures are seen ... we don't hear about totally random monsters... rather, we hear about the same suspects... over and over.

People really don't hallucinate like that... much of this crypto stuff is based on something... even though the supposed creature makes little to no biological/evolutionary sense, as far as we know.

The 6 inch tall humanoids recently investigated comes to mind... they are not constructs, but odd bio specimens.

Of course there are novel lifeforms on this planet that haven't been cataloged yet.

But as far as that video of Iceland's alleged sea serpent, that video looks like flotsam to me... not to say that a long fish or serpent doesn't exist there...just that that video looks like a mis-ID to me.

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 08:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shuye

We are talking about a country that officially called off a construction of a proper road that goes through the center of the island... because of... are you ready? drum roll...

This will disturb the peace of the invisible elves residing there.

Not that I have something against elves, I like the fact that they include these kind of magic stuff in their decision making. Just take whatever comes from that country with a grain of salt.

Disclaimer: I absolutely love Iceland.

On behalf of all elves everywhere...believe me, you don't want a bunch of angry invisible elves running around...its just not healthy...they'll crumble your cookies if your not careful...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join