It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is humanity in the macrocosm of infinity?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 11:15 AM
link   
Well?

What is it?

What are in the the infinite expanse of everything?

Do our actions really matter?

Do we matter?

Do politics matter?

Am I a nihilist in this post ?

I have nothing more to add I simply pose the question I don't have any answers to.

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 11:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion
Well?

What is it?

A life form that evolved through natural processes dictated by the universe at large.

Yes. If you imply infinity by the way, then there are also an infinite number of life forms that we'd call humans evolving independently throughout infinity.

No.

Do we matter?

Probably not.

Do politics matter?

Definitely not. Politics and power games (what politics really are) are all a distraction.

Yes, but pretty much any other out look requires assumptions that we don't have evidence to prove (yet).

I have nothing more to add I simply pose the question I don't have any answers to.

No one does. Agnosticism.

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 11:28 AM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

Microsocm / macrocosm IMO.

Reach into your consciousness and ask yourself if each action matters, if each of humanities actions matter, if combined nations actions matter, if the actions of those on continents matter, if actions of the globe matter.

Consider the galactic and intergalactic vibrations, do you consider humanity part of those?

Is humanity not made of stars like everything else.

Is humanity not part of the greater whole.

Is humanity not part of and subject to the absolute energy of creation that permeates all.

Yes, I say, humanity is part of the greater whole and as such part of the energy of the Universe and multiverse and therefore subject to the absolute and infinite creative energy.

The subatomic particles of everything resonates with that absolute infinite energy.
edit on 15-9-2014 by theabsolutetruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Do we matter?

Every single one of us humans is singularly unique in all the Universe. There are no two alike. Unlike any other, here or anywhere.

In other words one of a kind.

How precious is that?

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Well?

One more bit of life in a vast universe and possible multiverse.

What is it?

A species that is prone to viewing itself as superior to all else on this planet and applies such speciesm on the entirety of the known universe.

Just one more spot of life in the universe which is likely to be as deaf to us as we are to it.

In the entirety of the universe? Probably not. It's pretty huge and we aren't even a significant speck within it. Our sun? Maybe as systems develop based on the interactions of those contained within. While what we do on earth may not matter, the sun, which is also a tiny speck, has more of a cosmic effect.

However, we do matter to this little pocket of the universe and in that sense, our actions always matter. Our behaviors determine how habitable this planet is for all that live upon it and when I say habitable, I do not just mean in ecological terms but societal as well.

Do we matter?

To the universe? Probably not. Super tiny insignificant specks, we are. On this planet? Absolutely.

Do politics matter?

See the answers above.

Asking questions without statement of opinion does not a nihilist make. Heck, I'm not even sure that I'm a nihilist as I state that our position and role as a species is both ridiculously unimportant and important at the same time.

It's okay. You're in good company. I hold that I could be wrong on any of the above answers and, as such, they are what I simply perceive as being most likely at this time based on the knowledge and experience that I currently have at my disposal. Ask me again in a few years and some of the answers may have changed.

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 11:59 AM
link   

What is humanity in the macrocosm of infinity?

Do we matter?

Without humanity there is no Infinity

What is it? What are in the the infinite expanse of everything?

Infinity is an abstract concept

Abstract concept is something formed in the mind

Do our actions really matter? Do politics matter?

No, wont effect an Abstract concept

edit on 15-9-2014 by Moondoggie because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 12:08 PM
link   
"All rivers lead to the oceans, but do the oceans lead to the rivers?"

Kind of fitting.

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Other than the Icelandic unpronouncable lake monster and some kid teabagging a Jeebus, threads have been pretty deep today...

Just Be.
And Be Well.

All of You.

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 02:35 PM
link   

We are what we always have been. Just take a look. Describe what you see, and there is your answer.

If there is indeed an infinite expanse, that means there is no whole, for a whole implies a boundary. There is no "everything", no greater good, no boundary within which everything is contained into some cohesive unit. If there is no whole, we are thus not parts of any whole.

Do we matter? Do we matter to what? Do politics matter? Do politics matter to what? These are incomplete questions. If we matter, we must matter to something.

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 04:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope

We are what we always have been. Just take a look. Describe what you see, and there is your answer.

If there is indeed an infinite expanse, that means there is no whole, for a whole implies a boundary. There is no "everything", no greater good, no boundary within which everything is contained into some cohesive unit. If there is no whole, we are thus not parts of any whole.

Do we matter? Do we matter to what? Do politics matter? Do politics matter to what? These are incomplete questions. If we matter, we must matter to something.

If there is an expanse, it means there must be a boundary. There is no need for a concept of expansion if there is no boundary. Expansion means that the boundary itself is pushed. So, there is a whole, but it is ever changing at the speed of the expansion.

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 04:34 PM
link   
humanity is the macrocosm and the macrocosm is humanity.

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Well?

Do we matter?

Do politics matter?

Whether or not things matter can only be determined subjectively. Objectively, nothing matters. The world could blow up and the only people who would care, the only people it would matter to, would be gone.

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 09:20 PM
link   
a reply to: gosseyn

Very good point. I have to agree. But then it wouldn't be infinite. The idea of an infinite expanse is therefor contradictory, and another choice of words will have to be used.

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 01:17 AM
link   

What is it?

The human race is just another synonym for sentience. What makes us different--and more dangerous perhaps--is our ability to identify our own awareness and compare it to similar organisms. Superiority complex results and exploitation of every other living being follows. Were I to wax hopeful with no small sense of trepidation, I would speculate that mankind is on the long evolutionary ladder to godhood. The only trouble: if gods we become someday, then by that achievement alone we will not realize our godliness. Unless perhaps we discover a much more primitive sentient race willing (or terrified enough) to worship us.

J.A.F.O.

Just Another Fu..ing Observer. We are only what we mean to ourselves--both as a race and to each other individually. We observe. Philosophy. Hard science. Watching each other in bars and on the street. We watch and we learn. We move in and take over. Might makes right for those who have the power. For those without power appeasing those who do is priority number one. But no matter who we are the circle completes. We are just observers.

Action reaction? Cause and effect? "Do what thou wilt," says Aleister Crowley. To which I respond but be ready to face the consequences. Our actions matter to our families and all other people in our circles of existence. Beyond that, commit a crime, invent something, write a best seller or whatever and possibly your actions will matter to many others. Does the Cosmos care about what we do? If so, it has yet to speak up.

Do we matter?

See above. We matter to each other and ourselves. If you believe in souls and their eternal stint in either paradise or hell, then you can likely answer the question better to suit your own anticipations.

Do politics matter?

In the infinite expanse of the universe? Probably at least not until we can sail across light years. It's all about where you live. On Earth, in America 2014 it benefits us to be in the know but sometimes also to bury our heads in the sand.

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 12:46 PM
link   
The Universe needed you. Thats why it created you. Otherwise you would not be here.

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Well?

What is it?

Do we matter?

Do politics matter?

We've all puzzled the same question. Some people have found some answers in work and family and religion and relationship and elsewhere. I don't think anybody ever ends the question completely, but some people might have it more than others, depending on things only God may know.

My opinion, and my opinion alone, is that all of the suffering we experience ourselves and the suffering we see others experience, leaves us to conclude this MUST have a reasonable explanation. Why fight so hard? Why hurt? Why struggle? Because it's worth it, we hope, or trust. We're building up to something big or important. It's our lineage or our society or our species or a future species or something even greater still for which we suffer.

To have lived a life of much turmoil without a reason or purpose or higher aim is not a pleasant reassuring thought. Even naturalism tends to put us in the framework of a larger more meaningful evolution from small simple lifeforms to complex ones. Many great years from now intelligent species may look upon us as a building block towards their own existence. Even we're the product of past generations of life which has expired. Naturalism also casts us as the director of the universe, the brains. Carl Sagan or someone like him said we're the universe becoming aware of itself. It's a higher purpose than inanimate matter. So our purpose then is to be building blocks for future species and to become aware of the universe.

Naturalism isn't the only guide we can use to answer our question. I already stated work and religion and family and relationships as possibilities, but there're almost surely many others. People find reasons all the time.

Our fondness for remembering the past is a way to further define who we're and to grasp for a kind of immortality. This fondness for defining ourselves and attaining immortality doesn't just go backwards, it also goes forwards into the future. Children and wondrous achievements are an attempt by us to reach into the future beyond our own death.

Why do we desire to define ourselves and attain a pseudo-immortality? Maybe because we're in effect asserting I AM, defiantly, in fact. Amidst a hectic universe where definition can be blurry, we want to stand out. Even religious people strive hard to remember their past and to have children and achieve great things, despite their having a divine answer for everything. Isn't the divine answer enough? Doubtful, or most would be happy dying as a young poor person with no children, as Jesus apparently was.

So yes I just said our desire to know history and to live BIG is our desire to greater define ourselves and to attain a pseudo immortality, and hence, to somewhat resolve the 'question' which riddles us. I guess when you cut away the outside layers of this quandary, what you're left with is US. Does the answer to our question involve US? Being a building block to a future species isn't really US, is it? It sort of is, but it sort of isn't. By getting ourselves more involved in hte past and future we're making our purpose more intimate and less abstract. Maybe this means there's no answer, only immortality, of which we're unlikely to ever truly acquire.
edit on 16-9-2014 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join