It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Minecraft to Join Microsoft

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 02:44 PM
link   
a reply to: mikegrouchy

I don't mean to be a prick lol...

Just saying, you can tell by the orientation of the bed in the second pick, and the fact that the steve seems rather relaxed...LOL

there is a mod that you can place items like swords on the ground though...

The bottom pic is a realism texture pack... Probably Misa... some of them are fantastic!!

And you are right... the mods are the best part of the game... Most people don't even know they exist...

BUT... there is a mod for everything.... want dinosaurs? theres a mod...

Wanna go to space... theres a mod...

genetic engineering... RPG... Guns... The walking dead... Pokimon....

I could spend days just naming the different mods.... the list is endless

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 04:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254
Microsoft aren't going to mess with the cash cow that is Minecraft. I think they're smart enough to realize that the reason the game has remained relevant for the past five years is the modder community. At least for me vanilla Minecraft gets pretty dull pretty fast. I need my Thaumcraft, Mekanism, and Applied Energistics.

I think what will be more interesting to see is how Microsoft interact with the YouTube community. There are tons of people out there that make a living just by playing Minecraft. Just look at the YogsCast. They created an Internet juggernaut just by playing Minecraft. So will Microsoft try to find a way to get a piece of that pie or will they just let the thousands of users out there making money off their game be?

Yeah, the YogsCast crack me up. Soooo, British, soooo Scottish (too soon?). If I had to guess I would say that Google owns Youtube, so Microsoft won't touch it.

Mike Grouchy

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 04:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Akragon

I either play strictly vanilla survival or I go all out with the mods. I have one single player world going with over 130 mods LOL!!

My biggest fear with Microsoft is that they will introduce paid upgrades and charge by the month for online play. I sure hope they don't put a stop to the community-based projects like mods and youtube videos, and private servers.

The reason it got as big as it did is because of the community. MS isn't stupid and probably knows this well, so they'd be shooting themselves in the foot if they try to change the way we play. I myself will not pay for upgrades, unless they're super cheap and even then, they'd have to be substantial. The best part of Minecraft is all the free stuff that goes with it, not just the updates.

I'm going to keep an open mind and be hopeful that with MS's acquisition, it will only get better. I'm realistic though.

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 04:47 PM
link   
a reply to: CoherentlyConfused

I tend to visit mods and mod packs to see if they're interesting... quite the survivalist myself actually...

I never play vanilla though... but When I did, I was always looking for deathban servers

Lately I've been trying to get to space in Voltz.... still haven't made it there LOL

Never been a fan of the PVP, if I wanted to battle other players I would have stuck with Warcraft...

Its all about the PVE to me, the more threat from the world the better...

You might want to try TerraFirmaCraft IF you're into real survival... but it comes with my personal warning... TerraFirmaCraft will ruin minecraft and all other mods for you... Every other version of the game becomes far to easy after playing TFC... I had to take a 3 month break from minecraft all together... but I will say, TFC is the best mod ever made even though it still needs some things... Personally I think it needs dungeons, more mobs, and tier'd bosses... but that's me

I do hope MS doesn't screw the game up... I figure with the amount of money that company has they could give the game some serious updates... which would be awesome... there hasn't been a major update since the last overhaul when they buggered up the world... which is why I don't play vanilla btw

We shall see what Is to come

edit on 15-9-2014 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 04:51 PM
link   
At 43 I'm a huge fan of Minecraft, and my family too. Sometimes we all connect through Hamachi ( 3 PC in the house) and play on our own server; most of the time I play solo, for the fun of it. There's no end to the fun you can have with this game; I never have enough time to do all I want with it.
I don't care about Microsoft and I would definitely not pay them a cent. The game is perfect as it is now, with all the mods and textures I want.
Hope they won't mess the game but even if they do they will be the one to lose.
Beside that, minecrafters are soooo inventive... I trust them to always find a way.

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Learn me this..how does this impact my 11 year old?
LOL!

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 04:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: kosmicjack
Learn me this..how does this impact my 11 year old?
LOL!

Creepers will now try to sell you something before they explode in your face...

Tell him to say clear

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 05:01 PM
link   
I just dont get it, in my day we used to spend weeks and weeks learning to make levels for games in UnrealEditor and Hammer for steam. We were always pushing the limits of GFX capabilities to make the most awesome worlds ever seen.

Mine craft always seemed like such a huge step backwards for me. I guess its perfect for young kiddies and the console generations.

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 05:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom
I never got Minecraft. The graphics looks really bad, and if I want to build something with blocks, I'll stick to my Legos.

Imagine this...in creative mode, it's like unlimited legos. I hope MS doesn't screw it up.

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 05:04 PM
link   
a reply to: PhoenixOD

Uhm... I think just as many adults play minecraft as kids...

Look at the members replies...

Im 35... Been playing for 4 years... and have no intention of stopping

There are no limits to minecraft and its mods

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 08:34 PM
link   

I never got Minecraft. The graphics looks really bad, and if I want to build something with blocks, I'll stick to my Legos.

Players can customize the game if they like - there's a market for custom mod's for textures and effects.

But the gameplay is more important, being able to dig through and build different types of block. Then you can combine them; water, fire, oil, coal, rock, gold, silver ... And there are the different types of critter.

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 10:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: PhoenixOD
I just dont get it, in my day we used to spend weeks and weeks learning to make levels for games in UnrealEditor and Hammer for steam. We were always pushing the limits of GFX capabilities to make the most awesome worlds ever seen.

If you are a modder I can explain this.

The learning curve was too steep for Unreal. People with a head full of ideas, but not much experience or talent, quickly found out that their stuff didn't look good. In fact it looked bad. And they would give up before they logged the thousands of hours required to make great art. But with minecraft any youngster can edit their character to look like something different. And because the world, character, and items are already so blocky their lack of skill is not a barrier. Any kid can begin to get positive results from their first attempts at art.

originally posted by: PhoenixOD
Mine craft always seemed like such a huge step backwards for me. I guess its perfect for young kiddies and the console generations.

It's not the resolution that is the appeal it's the limitlessness. It is a well known phenomenon in the gaming industry that players will always find any invisible walls, boundaries, forced choices, or limitations of any kind. And they will chaff against them. Like magic somehow the players know, go right to the invisible barrier, bump up against it, and try to glitch through to the other side.

Minecraft on the otherhand is limitless. Take this flyover video for instance. The world just keeps going and going and going....

Those two things, low barrier to creating your own art, and limitless environment with no restrictions are just side effects of the larger event. The sandbox game, where everything is square represents a first move in a major paradigm shift. One where art is less important than playability. Other games with thousands of polygons per character, railroaded quests, and fixed objectives.... they just get old. Fast. In the article linked, and in the announcement video on the first page, Microsoft correctly mentions that Minecraft continues to show the most player hours logged. Long after people have purchased the game, and long after they have quit playing other games.

Oh, and it brings families together. Across generations. Something no other game has done. To this extent.

Mike Grouchy
edit on 15-9-2014 by mikegrouchy because: incomplete thought

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 11:31 PM
link   
a reply to: mikegrouchy

Very well said...

One thing I will mention though... the world isn't actually limitless... but I highly doubt anyone has ever reached the edge of a minecraft world...

Its quite literally about 2x around the earth... 10 to the 7.9

You'll find it here on the scale of the universe... Right beside Neptune & Uranus

64,000km squared... and approx. 130 quadrillion blocks total LOL
htwins.net...

edit on 15-9-2014 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 11:41 PM
link   

but there you have it exactly, it literally is just digital legos,

and damn are legos expensive, look at it that way, infinite legos for free (cost is only for multiplayer)

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 12:38 AM
link   
Seriously? 2.5 Billion? You could build a Mars colony for 2.5 billion. ugg.

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 06:17 AM
link   
Long-time Minecraft fiend here...

Anyone who hasn't yet seen the writing on the wall before this:

1) Realms

2) EULA "crackdown"

3) This acquisition is the grey writing on the other gray wall.

1.8 is the end of Minecraft.CurrentDevelopment

4) Pay for Minecraft 2!!!!

5) Be disappointed.
edit on 9/16/2014 by TycoonBarnaby because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 06:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: mikegrouchy

Call me an age-ist, but that just means you are old. My parents didn't get computer games "at all", but those same games took over the world. The gaming industry makes an order of magnitude more money than all of Hollywood. And it has done so since about 2004.

This is a 2.5 billion (yes billiion with a B) dollar acquisition.

Mike Grouchy

I don't think that's it at all. Why are they playing what looks like even worse graphics than what we had in 1986 and not something with the smoothest, most amazing graphics ever?

Is what I wanna know.

It's not ageist, it's just that.

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 06:30 AM
link   
My very first impression of MC was "eew, what's with the crappy graphics?" But once I started playing, I didn't even care. Now, for me anyway, they are what makes Minecraft Minecraft.
They're really not bad, and if you don't like the 16bit textures, you can download a gazillion high resolution texture packs until you find one you like.
The lower resolution the graphics are, the better the game runs if you have a not-so-great computer. I personally like 64bit texture packs, I've seen some as high as 256 and 512.

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 06:34 AM
link   
a reply to: BasementWarriorKryptonite

My counter-question is why are graphics the one-and-only make-or-break for games? (And maybe you don't feel this way....)

I admit that I enjoy the latest/greatest (latter being subjective) games, but I also enjoy many games that do not require the top-of-the-line PCs.

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 08:57 AM
link   
a reply to: TycoonBarnaby

Dunno, but it just seems to me as though the last 30 years of improvements are being thrown out the wind ow.

I swear to god this friggin site shts me sometimes, can't even type that word. WTF

edit on 16-9-2014 by BasementWarriorKryptonite because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join