It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Minecraft to Join Microsoft

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 11:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom
a reply to: eriktheawful

I'm 31. I spent my weekend building Legos...

I like having something physical I can touch and manipulate with my hands...

Well, one thing I can say about Minecraft survival mode is that it has terrorist. They are called "creepers" they sneak up and blow up your stuff. Sometimes it's the weirdest things that resonate with the deep subconscious fears of humankind.

Notice his bro tries to talk him out, but doesn't go anywhere near the danger. The kids particularly identify with the power of the creeper, to startle and to cause fear. They are confronting their fears in this game. 21'st century fears.

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Its just another money making scheme. it will all be over with by next summer.

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 11:56 AM
link   
a reply to: mikegrouchy

LOL. I have "terrorist" Lego minifigures, complete with grenades and RPG's. I'm putting together my own terrorist Lego army...

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 11:58 AM
link   
I could see Minecraft being good for developing countries where kids can't afford Legos, or teaching a kid that wants to be an architect about CAD-type software at a young age.

I dunno, I like to make my own games up and physically touch stuff. Besides, Minecraft looks really ugly to me. Way, WAY to blocky.

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 12:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: wlasikiewicz
Its just another money making scheme. it will all be over with by next summer.

Microsoft has acquired the 3D operating system interface of the future. They just don't realize it yet. None of the young kids growing up with it have started coding operating systems yet.

Mike Grouchy

edit on 15-9-2014 by mikegrouchy because: format

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 12:11 PM
link   

a reply to: KingIcarus

Ain't nobody got time for that!!

Just driving to Toys R Us or waiting for an order from Amazon with my Legos is a pain!

Heh. Each to their own - I find it oddly satisfying to expand my mine and made endless underground passages, secret tunnels, escape routes etc.

That said, I do like actual Lego too. Have you seen the Architecture Studio sets? Man they look fun.

Lego Architectural Studio

You'll have to save your pennies though - it sure is pricey.

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 12:16 PM
link   
I can't play Minecraft. The point of view, mixed with the large pixels give me migraines, and 'motion sickness.'
My guess is that anyone who wanted Minecraft on the PS4 should probably buy it soon. Once Microsoft gains rights to anything, they monopolize it. I would be willing to bet that Minecraft on any other Sony consoles won't happen.

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 12:30 PM
link   
a reply to: KingIcarus

I picked up the White House this weekend -- I haven't put it together yet though. I did the Empire State building a while back.

I'm not really a fan of them though, they look so plain and blocky -- kind of like Minecraft.

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 01:38 PM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

Damn Mystik!
You're going to have to do another LEGO thread soon with pictures.

Finally read about the purchase. It was too much for Notch. To be that kind of symbol for a worldwide phenomenon like Minecraft. Since he and a few others are leaving Mojang, I wonder what will happen to Scrolls? Yes, they were working on another game...kind of like Magic or Hearthstone. I was looking forward to it on Android. Maybe now there will be an Xbox version.

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 01:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Lyxdeslic

Microsoft just paid 2.5 BILLION...they aren't going to pull support for all versions other than their own. Yet. They claim the purchase cost will be recouped by the end of the next fiscal year. Look for a vanilla copy of it to be part of Windows 9 next year.

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 02:07 PM
link   
I wonder what this means for the odds of Minecraft to ever come out on Wii? I heard they weren't planning on it before, and maybe this just seals the deal.

I love Minecraft. It is one of the few video games I allow my 6-year-old son to play - although I never let him play online or on servers, just solo. He's played it since he was 5 and I am amazed at the structures, worlds, and scenarios he has built. Great for the imagination, for problem solving, etc. In his limited screentime, I feel Minecraft is a better than a television show. He is definitely into Legos and erector sets as well, so the appeal seems obvious.

I'm happy this game has been so successful. It deserves the success.

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 02:10 PM
link   
2.5B...

It would be hard to say now. I'd like to think I would say no, just to be a pain in the butt to MS.

I probably would cave and sell out though. Private islands are pretty expensive!

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Microsoft bought out facebook and turned it into worse hell.
Now with them buying Minecraft, I can see that game going to the #ter. they better still allow mods to be created. they better still allow people who have already bought it to not have to buy 'their' version. They better allow free upgrades, better not anything.

I think this shows greed on both ends. Creators and devs of MC wanted tons of $.
Microsoft, as someone pointed out earlier, wants to get their talons into anything making tons of money on the pc.

Makes me never ever want to dev anything indy that can be played on pc. They'd just move in and buy it then corrupt it to get more money. Nasty. I hate mac but crap like this makes me want to move to Mac.

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 02:21 PM
link   

2.5B...

It would be hard to say now. I'd like to think I would say no, just to be a pain in the butt to MS.

I probably would cave and sell out though. Private islands are pretty expensive!

Yeah. I don't blame him. He'll see at least half being majority stockholder. And he can fade into obscurity now as soon as the ink is wet on the papers.

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 02:22 PM
link   

2.5B...

Your own island of the Mushroom.

Mike Grouchy
edit on 15-9-2014 by mikegrouchy because: format

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 02:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: sarra1833
they better still allow mods to be created.

This^ A hundred times this^ Say it louder!

originally posted by: sarra1833
they better still allow mods to be created.

The mods are one of the best things about it. No longer do we have to wait on gigantic corporations to get-around-to-it when it comes to development or advancement. People are making the game into the vision they want.

The following picture is from a fully functional mod of minecraft. It's not even that recent.

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Well this doesn't make me happy... Once Microsoft gets something its all downhill from there

BtW... You people that don't get minecraft are batz!! LOL

Its one of the greatest most diverse games ever made... and theres literally thousands of ways to play...

Don't like the graphix... change em...

Don't like the game play... change it...

I fear for the games future in the hands of Microsoft though

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 02:35 PM
link   

the second picture is fake...

and the bottom one isn't a mod, its a texture pack... a really good one

edit on 15-9-2014 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 02:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Akragon

the second picture is fake...

and the bottom one isn't a mod, its a texture pack... a really good one

Thank you for the corrections!

Mike Grouchy

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Microsoft aren't going to mess with the cash cow that is Minecraft. I think they're smart enough to realize that the reason the game has remained relevant for the past five years is the modder community. At least for me vanilla Minecraft gets pretty dull pretty fast. I need my Thaumcraft, Mekanism, and Applied Energistics.

I think what will be more interesting to see is how Microsoft interact with the YouTube community. There are tons of people out there that make a living just by playing Minecraft. Just look at the YogsCast. They created an Internet juggernaut just by playing Minecraft. So will Microsoft try to find a way to get a piece of that pie or will they just let the thousands of users out there making money off their game be?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join