It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Aggressive police take hundreds of millions of dollars from motorists not charged with crimes

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 12:45 AM
link   
It is not unusual for international travelers (or someone going someplace to buy a car/boat/etc etc for cash) to have sums of money they are carrying that would fall into the confiscation parameters that some of these departments are using. Anymore if something can be abused or has a legal loop hole beware. Both articles have videos. Know your rights we hear all the time...good luck unless you have mucho money to throw at the so called legal system..

The second linked article says the Canadian government official sight is warning Canadian's about the possible scam..

•There have been 61,998 cash seizures made on highways and elsewhere since 9/11 without search warrants or indictments through the Equitable Sharing Program, totaling more than $2.5 billion. State and local authorities kept more than $1.7 billion of that while Justice, Homeland Security and other federal agencies received $800 million. Half of the seizures were below $8,800.

www.washingtonpost.com...

Equitable Sharing Program..... What a nice sounding name for something .... Kinda like affordable health care... GTSP (Government thieves and scoundrel program) is what it should have been called.

Sounds like going to a Third-World country. American police are targeting their northern neighbors, according to a travel warning from the Canadian government. State and federal law enforcement officers are reportedly shaking down Canadians visiting the US, illegally confiscating legally carried cash. Over 61,000 of these incidents have occurred since 9/11, resulting in $2.5 billion being seized, according to The Washington Post.

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 12:55 AM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

We need to take our country back. Back from whom? Well, the lawmakers ie our "representatives".

We literally need a Ron Paul in every fact of government in order to undo decades of damage.

"Highway robbery". Police seize $50,000 via asset forfeiture "laws".

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 01:01 AM
link   
This is what happens when a country is going broke.

Everything and everybody gets real desperate.

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 01:05 AM
link   
a reply to: gladtobehere

Threads like this one and the one you linked ... have me very close to violating the T&C of this site.

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 01:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: Snarl

Threads like this one and the one you linked ... have me very close to violating the T&C of this site.

calm down and word it nicely so to speak....

it is hard to deny the fact that cops are the biggest most corrupt gang on the planet

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 01:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: gladtobehere

We need to take our country back. Back from whom? Well, the lawmakers ie our "representatives".

We literally need a Ron Paul in every fact of government in order to undo decades of damage.

"Highway robbery". Police seize $50,000 via asset forfeiture "laws".

Unless Ron Paul could have transformed himself into some kind of super human Rambo he would have been assassinated before he even made a dent in all the stuff that has been fermenting in ours and other countries for god only knows how long ?

The drug war has let so much evil prevail that you have to wonder if the drugs are as bad as the cure ?

I personally no longer wonder.... after some of the asinine B.S. the government carries out, that we read about, on what seems a weekly basis either for the children, or the war on so and so.. The fatherland/motherland homeland security when the frigging borders are open !

Give me one transparent thing I can believe in when they open their pie holes. I Must be jaded and abused from all the lies over the years... sorry....

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 01:10 AM
link   

The black boxes on new cars that record our every move will be countered by scramble-tech that can be bought like radar detectors and then the real war over our car-control will begin,...but by then all other forms of nanny-state tech will be in place so we the sheeple will probably just put up with it...

There will come a time when what is left of us will have flip phones that make phone calls only and we drive "old-fashioned" cars that don't have tracking tech in them... of course all of us now will be dead by then and it will be up to our children to continue the fight for liberty and "freedom"...lol...

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 01:16 AM
link   
If they really think they can target Canadian, International travelers, etc., they must really have the guts to not think that they will be suspects. Nothing short of corruption. Or as one might counter that, You know we're in deep trouble in this economy if it's gotten that bad that authorities must feel they have to do such. As many know, PD corruption is nothing new, with certain events such as taking the confiscated drugs to resell for profit.

I've heard cases in the past of money being confiscated by those arrested. Often those didn't have the means to bring it up, such in court, about what happened. It's apparently now, the norm. Good that it's being discussed now.

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 01:22 AM
link   
When I was a kid mg first time seeing something like this was Robin Hood when the sherif of Nottingham was shaking down a local land owner. And I asked my mum why could he do that? And she said that was back in feudal days you had to pay money to people to be safe. And then I studied feudal times in school and I asked my mum, so people had to pay taxes to royalty and to use their things? And she said yeah, and I asked if it was like modern day tax and she said no. And she always told me "don't worry son we don't live in the dark ages stuff that happened back then and in movies doesn't happen today"

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 01:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: boncho
When I was a kid mg first time seeing something like this was Robin Hood when the sherif of Nottingham was shaking down a local land owner. And I asked my mum why could he do that? And she said that was back in feudal days you had to pay money to people to be safe. And then I studied feudal times in school and I asked my mum, so people had to pay taxes to royalty and to use their things? And she said yeah, and I asked if it was like modern day tax and she said no. And she always told me "don't worry son we don't live in the dark ages stuff that happened back then and in movies doesn't happen today"

but what is worse is that these cops are doing this to promote themselves through the system,and in doing so are just making the quotas larger...the old sheriff was just a greedy pig as were the barons in the day

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 01:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: Snarl

Hey Snarl glad to see you dropped by... Sorry for the blood pressure spike the articles must have given you (me to) but knowing your circumstance and mine at least we do not have to look over our shoulders expecting this kind of crap to happen to us in our present locations.

The wife and I purchased a new car not to long ago and we had almost 1 million in the local currency (which is a fortune around here) to purchase the car... I was never concerned especially about the local authorities wanting their fair and equitable share of our hard saved money out of the brown paper sack the money was carried in...Equitable Sharing Program my %ss.

Checks are not used around here and credit cards have a 3% charge in addition to the amount ... Most people just use cash even at a new car dealership...

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 01:36 AM
link   
WTF man.

One of those firms created a private intelligence network known as Black Asphalt Electronic Networking & Notification System that enabled police nationwide to share detailed reports about American motorists — criminals and the innocent alike — including their Social Security numbers, addresses and identifying tattoos, as well as hunches about which drivers to stop.

Many of the reports have been funneled to federal agencies and fusion centers as part of the government’s burgeoning law enforcement intelligence systems — despite warnings from state and federal authorities that the information could violate privacy and constitutional protections.

MIGHT violate privacy and Constitutional protections?

Someone help me with math here:

There have been 61,998 cash seizures made on highways and elsewhere since 9/11 without search warrants or indictments through the Equitable Sharing Program, totaling more than $2.5 billion. State and local authorities kept more than $1.7 billion of that while Justice, Homeland Security and other federal agencies received $800 million. Half of the seizures were below $8,800.
Only a sixth of the seizures were legally challenged, in part because of the costs of legal action against the government. But in 41 percent of cases — 4,455 — where there was a challenge, the government agreed to return money. The appeals process took more than a year in 40 percent of those cases and often required owners of the cash to sign agreements not to sue police over the seizures.

I feel like 40% of 61,998 isn't 4,455. I've been a little slow today though.

So it would seem prudent to NOT consent to a search EVER. The examples cited all seemed to consent. DO NOT CONSENT TO A SEARCH EVER. I don't get why people do. I'm very cooperative but I won't consent to a search. I used to get pulled over rather frequently but this never came up. Never been asked by a cop to search my vehicle.

Law is being abused here and it's high time it changed. I got a Cashiers Check when I went to go buy my car, but pretend I hadn't and took out cash or something. Over $30k gone without rhyme or reason.

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 04:15 AM
link   
This wp investigation have been posted several times by now, here is one

www.abovetopsecret.com...

The one I read was older but could not find it

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 09:24 AM
link   

Isn't it funny that the only reason this is even possible is that THEY have a gun and YOU don't? This is simply armed robbery. If they weren't armed, a lot of this cash would stay with its rightful owners.

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 09:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: Urantia1111

Isn't it funny that the only reason this is even possible is that THEY have a gun and YOU don't? This is simply armed robbery. If they weren't armed, a lot of this cash would stay with its rightful owners.

A gun and the backing with the full force of the local police, judges, and prosecutors it would appear in many cases. Oh, an since the feds get their fair and equitable cut we should not leave them out too; join the party !

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Oh absolutely, but at the time of the warrantless search and subsequent grand theft, there's no other way people would sit still for this. Nothing short of being shot is going to allow someone to just abscond with tens of thousands of dollars of someone else's hard-earned cash.

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 01:49 PM
link   
What surprises me is the lack of interest this thread and one I authored - Equitable Sharing, highway interdiction, 400 seizures from 17 states examined

Strange

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 02:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: LDragonFire
What surprises me is the lack of interest this thread and one I authored - Equitable Sharing, highway interdiction, 400 seizures from 17 states examined

Strange

It's just another "It will never happen to me" scenario and people are getting used to it now. Conditioning.

An then it WILL happen to them because not enough people spoke out.

Too little, too late as usual.

Peace

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 02:42 PM
link   
a reply to: jude11

Indeed, it's a rare thing for most of us to need to travel with thousands of dollars in the car, but when we do we should have the right to do so without being robbed at gunpoint by our supposed protectors and servers. Then it's on US to PROVE we got it legally??? Guilty until proven innocent? That is absurd.

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Jon Stewart did a piece on this on the daily show a couple of months ago, it literally is daylight robbery and harks back to the days of the old wild west. Mental that this goes on in the year 2014.

thedailyshow.cc.com...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join