It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"New" to ATS, and I need advice/help.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 01:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Nosollar

Well, I think your Mom was in a state of shock from having no idea of all of your beliefs that were different from hers (and different from what she thought yours were!) Sort of like a 'culture shock' on a family level. Some people need to hear it in little bites, instead of the whole cake at once.

After all, if she is to believe you are right, then that challenges HER whole belief system.

Play it down for a bit, if she brings it up again, and maybe she will be more open to consider your ideas, a little at the time, in the future?

Good luck!

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 01:52 AM
link   
Welcome! I am sure you will find your groove here soon with some very like minded folk.

As for your partner - honestly, I wouldn't see a future there. You're talking at the end of the day about your beliefs vs hers. They don't align, and if she is going to act like yours are 'crazy' and try to conspire with your parent to 'get you help' purely because they are different - well, I'd just cut my losses now. My husband doesn't really have a strong opinion on much, he thinks the news on TV is always sensationalised, and has noticed how they don't show the bigger issues. He knows I love this site, and it's a place where I feel comfortable - and if he ever tried to tell me what I personally believed in was wrong, well, cya mate.

You shouldn't have to change, or pretend, or hide who you are to please the people closest to you. Those are the ones that should love you regardless.

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 02:01 AM
link   
a reply to: bkaust

Good post! I agree with You 100 Percent!!!

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 04:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Nosollar If you had have regurged anything about Project Crapalot I don't blame them for thinking you've lost it.

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 04:17 AM
link   

because I need some advise and wisdom and guidance.

Imo, no you don't. Your awareness and questioning posture about things is what real people do. The fearful, timid ones not only stopped questioning but will challenge that in others because it causes inner conflict with the programming that keeps them in line. They can't have that in or around them.

Just go on self teaching and dismiss it to others when they "become concerned". Laugh, say okay yah sure, I agree and change the subject. You will find they can't want to change the subject to something frivolous and whimsical.

If your girlfriend is that disturbed by you "reading stuff" then maybe its time to rethink that relationship?

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 06:54 AM
link   
If all the terrible things you read about were 100% true, what would you do? Nothing. You'd be like the rest of us and "know" but stay quiet.

The conspiracy stuff is fun. Some of it is real. There really are people who run the country that you don't see or hear. Proof? nope. But knowing that, how does it affect your future? If you don't let it, it wont.

Trust me, you can get too deep into this stuff. I'd say your estimate of 50% is a bit high. Surely some of it's true. But don't let conspiracy get in the way of your life. You have to play the game to get through to the end. Most folks know nothing. Not even 1%. And they are happy. Enjoy what you have, enjoy what you do. Save for the future and find a way to make money doing something you enjoy. Then you will have beaten the system.

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 07:14 AM
link   

Welcome to the party and do not forget to have fun

and remember life is for living do not get drawn in enjoy as we only live once

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 08:38 AM
link   

Welcome.

Architect from NJ, overall bi*ch.
Show them little things at first and ask them to decide what they think:

Building 7 trade center:

How to get fired from Fox News in 5 minutes:

Media Brainwashing:

If you are getting paranoid or anxiety from these topics that is a different subject all together, they are worried about your health and mental state - she's your mom. Calm down, take a deep breath and don't let these things bother you, if anything you should feel relief from the new found freedom information such as this provides.
But I too had difficulty trying to reach people at times and it's best to just let them decide what they think for themselves. Most of my family was concerned at first also but after I presented certain things, people will slowly change. Planting the right seed is the hard part, for each person is different. My father is still to this day resistant but a year ago when I showed him the Building 7 video knowing that I am an architect and I did it at my office with other architects around, I've seen his eyes opening up a bit more now.
This is how our world works right now. The people such as your mom and gf are just trying to look out for your well being, but ironically it is you that must look out for them. The blind need the sighted to guide them through the darkness.

Ttys, AB
edit on 9/15/2014 by AnteBellum because: Add

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 08:51 AM
link   
Not everything on the web is the truth. Some of the claimed truth is lies and some truth about lies are lies.

If you trust too much of one flavor your are probably missing the truth.

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 09:13 AM
link   
Welcome. You seem to like Robert Anton Wilson and McKenna, so take their advice and have fun. Wilson didn't believe anything 100 percent, it was one of his life lessons (the 'Maybe' philosophy). And he also said that a conspiracy is what you and your friends are doing, just a matter of who your friends are. Not all conspiracies are conspiracies, and if your girlfriend is more concerned about how much money you'll make for you and her than about things that captivate you (including her), and encourage you in your interests, well, there are more fish in the sea (or at least there used to be before the Japanese quake and overfishing). Your mom and girlfriend may also be buying into the media making 'conspiracy theory' a negative when in truth it is a neutral statement which depends on the facts and the data for its validity. So toss Mom a hostess cup cake ("Ma, remember what size these were when you were a kid? Look at them now, you can hardly see them. That's an ongoing conspiracy to make things tinier and more expansive"). Conspiracy is in the eye of the beholder, and to me some of them are fun (I still enjoy reading about Abe Lincoln assassination theories) and some are just ignorant ("Human never went to the moon", "there were no planes on 9-11"), and even the Building 7 theories have been shown to be likely incorrect on www.abovetopsecret.com... a great thread by ATS member OtherSideOfTheCoin.

Anyway, a wall of text welcome, and enjoy your adventures here.
edit on 15-9-2014 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 10:04 AM
link   

Welcome to ATS. Here is my advice to you:

Make the best of your opportunity to get an education. Take classes that will help you build your critical thinking skills. Take a class in journalism so that you will learn to distinguish legitimate journalism from propaganda on the one hand and wild eyed fantasy on the other. You will also learn how media works, so you will not be fooled either by media lies or the fantasies of people who do not understand how media actually works. Cherish your girlfriend; a single live human being is more important than the entirety of the World Wide Web. If she says it's time for bed, go to bed!

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 10:44 AM
link   
a reply to: BELIEVERpriest

If you are seeking the truth, then believe that Jesus died for your sins,

Why would anyone in their right mind choose to believe that ? The OP has clearly got a brain and has made it clear that he's not up for indocrtrination so I find it highly unlikely that he would consider joining your death cult delusion.

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 11:01 AM
link   
You have to find a balance between the reality we live in and the hype we all follow. At least that is what I found in myself. I have been seeking truths for 12 years now and sometimes I wish I never started. When everyone around you is following the hype, any reality you try and inject will feel like a dark cloud to people around you and it will hurt your relationships.

Eventually you are going to feel tired from the constant battles. It is hard to imagine in your 20's but eventually you are going to go back to the hype because it is easier and less fighting. Mortgages, credit cards, bumper to bumper warranties, all the things we know are just material and not worth jack are actually what you will use to define yourself at a certain point in life.

Don't do what I did and fight everything in your life till you have a mountain of problems between you and a "normal" life.

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 11:11 AM
link   
You're looking "for the truth" for so long already and likely watched all kinds of YT videos and visit all kinds of conspiracy sites, right?

So, why did you not find the truth already? Is it MAYBE because all those sources who claim to sell you "the truth" did not succeed in convincing you that what they say is actually really "the truth"?

This alone should put a red flag up for you.

EVERYONE has an agenda. The MSM and the "officials" have as much an agenda as the random conspiracy site or the guy who operates a channel on Youtube selling you "the truth". Sometimes, THEIR agenda might even be more sinister than the agenda of the MSM.

I advice you to look at those things that are important in your life. Don't sacrifice your life, relationships and your sanity. Most importantly don't just blindly trust anyone, ESPECIALLY not those who tell you they know "the truth".

If your GF etc. is concerned...there may be something to it. THIS should be more important to you right now.

edit on 9/15/2014 by NoRulesAllowed because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 11:46 AM
link   
You are learning about the world and the nature of reality, I could have done with more of that at your age.

If you are seeking the truth then that is the greatest path and sees those that are truly truth seeking are put on the right path in life.

You don't need to talk about conspiracies to people, or even mention being on ATS, if there are things you are knowledgeable about then there isn't anything wrong in being knowledgeable.

I guess, like anything, a lot of life is about behaving appropriately, if you think it isn't the place to talk about your learnings and truth seekings then it might not be.

Use your common sense, if you are aware that a percentage of the population are intentionally or otherwise ignorant to reality, then know how to talk to them, know how to behave if surrounded by them and I guess choose how you want your lifestyle, do you really want to be surrounded by those that also are truth seekers, or don't mind that some aren't and might never be.

I guess truth seeking also includes knowing the truth about people and that some are more 'bubble' types, and cannot handle reality. Some might take some time to realise, some might never.

It might not be your 'calling' to educate them but it might well be part of your journey to educate yourself.

I commend that you are truth seeking.
edit on 15-9-2014 by theabsolutetruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 12:08 PM
link   
There's some people who choose to be oblivious just so their little world remains "safe". I know people like this. All you can do is give little slivers of information and HOPE that at some point, they open their eyes and see beyond that fog that they've surrounded themselves with.

If you go hard core on them and start trying to push a bunch of ideas on them, they will see you as crazy. Just be moderate about it all. Maybe show them, ONE CASE AT A TIME, the 33 conspiracy theories that turned out to be true. Or let them live in oblivious land. Either way, they see you as crazy now. I've been in the same boat but I've opened a lot of eyes. I really have. I've had people thank me before years after showing them something.

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 01:40 PM
link   
Well that was quite the introduction

And welcome to ATS
I'm Cody one of the avatar artists here, I've been around for nearly ten years, if you want ATS related help I'd be happy to attempt to assist you, the mods are very good at giving advice.

If you'd like a custom made avatar ( No charge ) then just click on my signature strip where it says Avatar Creations and will take you to our thread, just let us know what you'd like and we'll do our best to make something up for you.

Here at ATS we are very much a family and like all families we have our quarrels, but, over nearly 10 years if I've learned anything it's that when the need arises ATS will rally around and help you out.

Welcome to family

Try not to end up like this

And remember

Cody

top topics

<< 1   >>

join