It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: Gunfight Erupts Near Baghdad U.S. Embassy: Five GIs Killed In Pipeline Attack

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 12:29 AM
link   
Gunfire erupted in central Baghdad near the heavily fortified U.S. Embassy and the interim Iraqi Government headquarters. In another attack, 5 American troops were killed in an oil pipeline attack. Initial reports indicate that the attack in Baghdad was countered by American troops, but Army officials say none of their forces were involved. One Iraqi was killed. These attacks come on the heels of a wave of violence in Iraq over the weekend that claimed over 70 lives.

story.news.yahoo.com
BAGHDAD, Iraq - A heavy gunfight broke out Monday on a dangerous street in central Baghdad within blocks of the country's most fortified facilities, including the U.S. Embassy and interim Iraqi government headquarters. Five more American troops were killed in the volatile Anbar province.

A dawn attack on a domestic oil pipeline supplying fuel from northern Iraq to Baghdad and clashes that killed three militants in the country's turbulent west underlined the security difficulties ahead of Jan. 30 national elections.

Heavily armed insurgents have been emboldened by a spate of attacks across Iraq that have claimed more than 80 lives in recent days, mostly Iraqis working for the coalition or Iraqi national security forces.

On Baghdad's Haifa Street on Monday, witnesses said gunmen killed an Iraqi employed by coalition authorities not far from the Green Zone, a heavily guarded compound where American and Iraqi forces protect government officials, diplomats and private contractors

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The insurgents are getting bolder in their attacks as the elections loom. The Green Zone seems to be a target and the numbers of attack seems to be increasing in frequency. Im curious as to the post election strategy for Iraq. Do people actually believe that these insurgents will go away? Will we try to surround the Sunni Triangle with a big wall ala Escape From New York? I really am not seeing the post election plan here. Wolfowitz really need to be replaced before its too late if not already.

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 01:35 AM
link   
I believe as long as U.S. troops stay in Iraq there will be attacks. Election won't change anything I guess, and I cannot imagine Bush will admit that this is no win situation and will withdraw American soldiers....

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 03:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by jazzgul
I believe as long as U.S. troops stay in Iraq there will be attacks. Election won't change anything I guess, and I cannot imagine Bush will admit that this is no win situation and will withdraw American soldiers....

We should not be in Iraq but since we have removed Saddam from power we can't stop now. The risk of Muslim extremists filling the void left by Saddam's removal is too great a threat I feel. We're in there for the long haul with in my eyes no quick and painless remedy to the situation. The Jan 30 elections are not going to cause this violence to end magically.

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 05:07 AM
link   
The logic of these idiot insurgents destroying the oil pipelines, which are the lifeblood of the Iraqi people, continues to escape me.

Of course, that's most likely the problem - I'm trying to apply logic to the situation.

On Baghdad's Haifa Street on Monday, witnesses said gunmen killed an Iraqi employed by coalition authorities not far from the Green Zone, a heavily guarded compound where American and Iraqi forces protect government officials, diplomats and private contractors

Why is this area so vulnerable? I think it is time to examine where the insurgents are getting their funding. Syria? Iran?

new topics

top topics

join