It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

In this Chinese city, phone addicts get their own sidewalk lane

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Hi,,,, Not my Home City of Harbin in China, But it is a change for people, you'd think it would be a Bike Lane

Nope it's a Cell Phone Lane!!!

So, do we need this in America? Actually, from what I've seen, most of America's side walks are not that Wide,,, But I think it would be a good Idea.
Let the cell phone users get in each other's way and stay out of mine!

Some places have lanes for bicycles, others for motorcycles, but there's a place in mainland China that boasts a different type of lane altogether: one for phone addicts glued to their screens. According to a Chinese publication, the cellphone lane above was spotted along a place called Foreigner Street in Chongqing city, one of the five major cities in the country. The sidewalk was most likely painted on for everyone's safety, because, hey, if there's distracted driving, there's also distracted walking, as perfectly demonstrated by the woman in this video. If the idea sounds familiar, it's because the National Geographic did something similar back in July as an experiment. The society stenciled "NO CELLPHONES" on one-half of a DC sidewalk and "CELLPHONES: WALK IN THIS LANE AT YOUR OWN RISK" on the other half. The result? Well, among other things, they found that the people actually glued to their phones didn't even notice the markings at all. Typical.

Linky

edit on 14-9-2014 by guohua because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 03:06 PM
link   
a reply to: guohua

That's pretty damned funny. Do they get a ticket if they're in the phone lane without their phone?

edit on 9/14/2014 by OptimusCrime because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Phone zombies..
Strange how phones are supposed to be all about connecting people,yet most seem oblivious to the world around them when they are "plugged in."

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 03:30 PM
link   
This shows how interconnected we all are. But it shows how disconnected we are to our environment.

One problem I see with this is people zigzagging and not even following the lane. Similar to the results in DC.

Now, if it had a way to alert the user to the fact that they're outside the zone, it would seem more feasible. Of course it sacrifices privacy, you're typing along and suddenly the alert pops up on screen.

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 03:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: OptimusCrime
That's pretty damned funny. Do they get a ticket if they're in the phone lane without their phone?

You know, I Don't Know the Answer.
but I think they Should. We've giving them their own lane to be a Pain In The A## to their Own kind, Now if they Wonder by into the Land Of the Living,,, yes, Ticket their Butt!!!

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 03:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Silcone Synapse
Phone zombies..
Strange how phones are supposed to be all about connecting people,yet most seem oblivious to the world around them when they are "plugged in."

That's the truth, You're So Connected, you and the Bumper of That Car moving at 40 MPH are Connected For EVER!

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 03:56 PM
link   
The only thing good about this would be if the entire "Cell phone" lane opened up periodically throughout the day like a trap door. To oblivion!

Cell phones and their use (in particular the hard core use, users that would die without it) are a major contributing factor to the overall stupidity and ignorance of the masses today.

~People texting each other from 6 feet away.
~Babies starving or getting into no good cause Mom's too busy updating FaceBook with the useless fact that she "Needs coffee!"
~Accidents, pedestrian, vehicular, etc...
~Kids can no longer spell or speak properly.
~Companies wasting huge amounts of natural resources to put out 15 styles of phone every 6 months.
~You could probably ad onto this list almost endlessly and yes some of it is exagerrated but you get what I'm getting at I think.

I think it's created a far less social world than most people think. Yeah they talk to strangers and people all over the world, but they don't say much in person.

Forgive me for getting up there in age and being stuck in my ways but, I hate cell phones and the hard core users I often see make me almost angry at times.

On a side note though, they have also brought a fair bit of good to the world too. So it's not all bad I guess, but this cell phone thing? We really don't need this.
Leave them on the sidewalk with the rest of us and let Natural Selection do it's job!

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 03:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Silcone Synapse

As a Halloween zombie, I find that offensive.

they are not rotting and craving for the flesh of the living.

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 05:55 PM
link   
It's a good start. I would like to see an entire highway/road grid developed for them, that way there could be ten cars ahead of me at a red light, when it changed to green I'd still get through the light.

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 07:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: minkmouse
It's a good start. I would like to see an entire highway/road grid developed for them, that way there could be ten cars ahead of me at a red light, when it changed to green I'd still get through the light.

Haaaaaaaa, So, True,,, Or when they all cost through that Red light, their only hitting each other and their Insurance Rates Go UP!

I like the way you think

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 09:07 PM
link   

Madness.....People are too damn stupid so they need their own lane.. Smartphones = dumb people.
Fire

edit on 14-9-2014 by FirePiston because: (no reason given)

edit on 14-9-2014 by FirePiston because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 07:31 AM
link   

Only two things to say:

This is ridiculous!

What waste of time and money. There are people starving and dying of water shortages in parts of the World and some idiot comes up with this idea.

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 12:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: TruthxIsxInxThexMist

Only two things to say:

This is ridiculous!

What waste of time and money. There are people starving and dying of water shortages in parts of the World and some idiot comes up with this idea.

I'm Sorry you're so Upset, What are you doing to Help these Poor Starving people?
In China, no one is Starving and the Paint is from the local Government, which got the paint for free from the Central Government and the Labor are unemployed people who need to earn some monies for extra food.
The local city has the street marked and then the unemployed are employed.

I would think if people are starving all over the World, maybe their Governments need to be Held to the Task of taking care of their peoples.
I know America gives and gives and gives to countries and we're still Hated.
I know China supports the local Government and populations in the countries it currently has interest in, they have built hospitals and schools and sewer and fresh water systems and housing for the local workers and their families.
There are other countries that help also, So, Maybe by building a Cell phone only lane, they will safe the life of the Next Genius That Solves The Worlds Food and Water Shortage Problem,,,,,,,,,,,,
And You Have a Problem With That?
Grow Up and Open your Eyes,,,,,, You Believe to Much of the Propaganda Doom and Gloom your being Spoon Feed!

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 04:50 PM
link   

What? Whats growing up got to do with anything?

You need to grow up and open your eyes to much more important things.

You think these 'phone lanes' are more important than an Epidemic?
edit on CDTMon, 15 Sep 2014 17:22:14 -0500u3005x114x1 by TruthxIsxInxThexMist because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join