It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: EPA "Censored Warnings Against Bush Road Plans"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 12:27 AM
link   
The Government workers group PEER has accused the EPA of stifling opposition to the Bush administration's plan to allow road building in national forests. The plan would reverse a Clinton era rule that protected 58 million acres of forest from road building.

www.reuters.com
"No public expression of dissent is allowed in the federal government now," Jeff Ruch, executive director of Public Employees for Environmental Responsibility known as PEER, said.

An EPA staffer wrote that building roads through swaths of land previously untouched would deteriorate the qualify of water in streams and have an impact on public drinking water.

Ruch said that EPA employees related that Steven Shimborg, a political appointee at the EPA, dismissed the staff draft as a "rant" and ordered the objections stricken from the EPA comments.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Knowing this administrations history with environmental legislation I wouldn't find this surprising. Environmental protection falls way behind corporate interest with these guys. The implication that the suppression of dissent by this administration is so far reaching and increasingly seems to be becoming the norm is more worrying.

Related News Links:
story.news.yahoo.com

[edit on 12-7-2004 by Zion Mainframe]

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 04:38 AM
link   
IF the story is true then one of those public employees needs to file a complaint with the Office of Special Counsel. Not much will happen except outing the supervisor that ordered a doctored report will now be 'on the record' and congress can order the GAO or one of the congressional committees to intervene.

American government may be a silent place now for opposition, but the laws are still there and the avenues exist.

Also, with employee union involvement I&I (impact and implementation) negotiations could strengthen any employee movement to adhere to laws that are being bypassed.

join