It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fish with human-like teeth turn up in Arizona lakes

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Link to AzCentral and News Video

Arizona's lakes and ponds, ordinarily home to trout, bass and catfish, occasionally become the dumping grounds for more exotic species such as pacu, a native of South America and a cousin of the piranha, known for its oddly human-like teeth.

How do they get there? Basically, owners with pets too big to flush opt instead for Arizona lakes. It's called aquarium dumping and getting caught in the act can cost owners their fishing license and financial damages.

Ordinarily, it's just pet goldfish, but every once in a while Arizona residents such as Susan Aavang, an Ahwatukee angler, catch one of the more exotic aquarium pets, said Scott Gurtin, community fishing program manager for the Arizona Game and Fish Department.

Game and Fish has heard reports of pacu caught in Saguaro Lake, private lakes and SRP canals, along the Indian Bend wash in Scottsdale and a canal in Yuma; however, it doesn't doesn't have a database of aquarium animals in Arizona lakes, Gurtin said.

Nonetheless, Gurtin assures residents there's nothing to be concerned about. Pacu have little impact on local fish populations, don't ordinarily reproduce in Arizona habitats and don't bite people, he said.

"Pacu usually get people's attention because it's a relative of a piranha," Gurtin said. "Pacu are actually quite a bit different though."

Unlike piranha, pacu have flat, rounded teeth (like humans) that are more suited to feeding on vegetation, fruit and nuts than eating flesh. Though the fish can grow up to 55 pounds in their native environment of the Amazon basin, they ordinarily weigh one to two pounds in Arizona lakes.

Aavang, however, was lucky enough to catch a 3.5 pound pacu, which Gurtin said can be pretty tasty.

Aavang told azfamily.com she used a piece of hot dog as bait while fishing at an HOA lake near an Ahwatukee elementary school last weekend.

Does anyone find it funny that the fish was caught using a HOTDOG?
(read title of video)

Ok, it's official now, I am not going swimming in anything other then a swimming pool for now on. I get these don't bite humans but just the way this thing looks - no way! I'm done.
I'm even considering throwing away my fishing poles!

Sad how this has been a common issue with feral species these days. From pet alligators turning into sewer lurking behemoths in NYC to 28 Ft. reticulated pythons in the Florida everglade outskirts. I even did a thread a week ago on a runaway albino cobra!
We need to stop thinking these pets are a good idea to bring into our homes. Like kids they are real cute when they're little, but wait until they grow up!

Jaw's is still the king though. . .

AB

Add: There is a previous post from 2006 regarding the animal itself being spotted, now it seems things have gotten just a little bit worse since then.
edit on 9/14/2014 by AnteBellum because: add

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 02:13 PM
link   
Is that thing real? I've never heard of or seen a fish with like teeth like that before.

That's kinda creepy....

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 02:33 PM
link   
I bought 2 Pacus the size of a silver dollar for a 55 gallon aquarium many years ago. Within a couple of years, they were over 1 pound in weight and kept growing. We fed them meow mix cat food. Yes, they do have human like teeth.

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 02:37 PM
link   
a reply to: AnteBellum

I remember seeing these on River Monsters!
Weird fish!

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Does anyone find it funny that the fish was caught using a HOTDOG?

A True American!

Peace

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 02:45 PM
link   
You'd be surprised, or maybe appalled is better, at the number of fish that are sold as common aquarium fish that get way too big for the average tank. Pacu are just the tip of the iceberg. Most catfish will easily outgrow your tank as well as will the common plecostomus which is commonly sold as a must-have algae eater to just about everyone.

And, yes, pacu really do have teeth just like that.

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Where are the creationists on this fish??

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 03:09 PM
link   
Thanks for the nice glass of nightmare juice.

***shudder***

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 04:34 PM
link   
The false teeth industry could use these babies....maybe we can grow them in the human jawbone with proper implanting.......suddenly develop a taste for kelp though....

link   
The false teeth industry could use these babies....maybe we can grow them in the human jawbone with proper implanting.......suddenly develop a taste for kelp though....

link   

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 04:35 PM
link   
I wonder if they are good eating?

Like a crappie on steroids!

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 04:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: boncho

Where are the creationists on this fish??
the same place we are with everything....

Right

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Double up

But while im here

Doe this according to e olution

Mean we shared a common ancestor with fish that happened to have human teeth

Lol
edit on pm920143004America/ChicagoSun, 14 Sep 2014 16:43:38 -0500_9u by Another_Nut because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 04:58 PM
link   
the fishermen here in denmark also caught one last year, they are supposed to be south American living only and vegan, i think they have the nickname nut eaters after an episode with a brazilian fisherman !!!

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 06:07 PM
link   
Ok, so my quest to find out if they are good eating led me to some interesting facts about this fish!

All from Wikipedia..lol

First, how common is finding one of these in the US?
I guess it happens more than we know!

Discoveries in the United States have been reported in Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas,California, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Iowa, Idaho, Illinois,Indiana,Kentucky , Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan,Minnesota, Missouri,Nebraska,New Hampshire, New Jersey, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio,Oklahoma,Pennsylvania, South Carolina,Texas, Utah,Washington,Wisconsin, and Wyoming.

State wildlife authorities typically advise home aquarists who wish to get rid of overgrown pacu to cut the heads off the fish and dispose of them as garbage.[40] However, Habitattitude, a U.S. national initiative led by the Aquatic Nuisance Species (ANS) Task Force, recommends humanely disposing the fish through a veterinarian or pet retailer, returning them to retailers, or donating them to a local aquarium society, school, or aquatic business.

They have been caught here in MN! I'll have to look into that one deeper for personal enjoyment..lol

And to answer my own question!
Are they good eating?

Theodore Roosevelt wrote of catching and eating pacu in his book Through the Brazilian Wilderness. He described them as "good-sized, deep-bodied fish," and noted, "They were delicious eating."

If Teddy says they are delicious, I bet they are!

en.wikipedia.org...

So then I went looking around for recipes just in case I ever catch one!

This delicious traditional Brazilian recipe for roast, stuffed, pacú works equally well with any number of alternative fresh water or salt water fishes. I have made it in Fortaleza with a red snapper variety named pargo, and I'm sure it would work equally well with bass, salmon or other species of fish - which is good news, as it's unlikely one would find pacú available outside Brazil.

Fish:
1 whole pacú or other fish, approx. 7 lbs. (3 kgs.), scaled and cleaned
1/2 cup fresh lime juice

Marinade:
1 large onion, finely chopped
2 Tbsp. lime juice
4 cloves garlic
1 cup water

Stuffing:
6 Tbsp. neutral vegetable oil
20 leaves of kale (or collard greens), rolled and cut into thin shreds
1 small onion, grated
2 cloves garlic, crushed
2 cups farinha (manioc flour) - (in unavailable, substitute equal quantity of dried bread crumbs)
salt to taste

Full recipe is here:
flavorsofbrazil.blogspot.com...

Sounds good to me!

Ok so to add to this, I was curious about where in Minnesota this was caught and easily found a news article.
Apparently it was caught in the Mississippi river here in MN.

What came out of the river looked a little like a piranha - but without the pointed teeth.

"It had teeth that looked almost like a human's," Nelson said. "The bottom teeth looked like our back molars.

Jake's dad, Todd, is La Crescent's police chief. Todd went to Fred Meyer, retired director of a U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service fisheries lab. "Todd came to my house with a pail," Meyer recalled, "asking if I knew what it was. ... I took a look and told him ‘It's a Pacu.'

Pacu fish snagged in Misssissippi

Crazy!
edit on 14-9-2014 by Darkblade71 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 06:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kalomar
the fishermen here in denmark also caught one last year, they are supposed to be south American living only and vegan, i think they have the nickname nut eaters after an episode with a brazilian fisherman !!!

It isn't because they have been known to grab the testicles.

They actually do eat nuts and seeds that fall into the water. That's what those teeth and overdeveloped jaws are for.

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 11:17 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Makes sense. Those molars are built for crushing shells and hard parts.

Also I have to say what beautiful teeth. All those natural plant-based foods

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 11:41 PM
link   
Well you see I was in the lake and I was really lonely....One thing led to another.....Oh wait its a Pacu....Uh never mind what I was saying.......

How does a fish even develop teeth like that. Besides man fish love scenarios that I know nothing about lol. Anyways I am sick of these illegal fish taking jobs from good ole American fish.
edit on 14-9-2014 by karmicecstasy because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 12:35 AM
link   
ALERT!

It is the fish know for taking a bite in a nudeswimmers testicels..
I would skip skinny dipping there.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join