It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Syria rebels, IS in 'non-aggression' pact near Damascus

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Well this is awkward, at least for Obama and his new coalition of the willing in the planned attacks on Islamic State fighters in Syria. Looks like those "moderate" Islamist rebels we were hoping to use as cannon fodder supporting our upcoming air strikes are disappearing.

Syria rebels, IS in 'non-aggression' pact near Damascus

Syrian rebels and jihadists from the Islamic State have agreed a non-aggression pact for the first time in a suburb of the capital Damascus, a monitoring group said on Friday.

The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said the ceasefire deal was agreed between IS and moderate and Islamist rebels in Hajar al-Aswad, south of the capital.

Under the deal, "the two parties will respect a truce until a final solution is found and they promise not to attack each other because they consider the principal enemy to be the Nussayri regime."

Nussayri is a pejorative term for the Alawite sect, an offshoot of Shiite Islam to which President Bashar al-Assad belongs.

So what else could possibly go wrong in our new war in the Middle East?

Germany and the U.K. on Thursday ruled out carrying out air strikes on Islamic State militants in Syria

Oops.

Turkey - the USA's closest ally in NATO among the Middle East - denies them its airbases for use as launch sites of airstrikes and will not support airstrikes in Syria

Double oops.

Iraq's newly-installed US-friendly PM al-Abadi defies the US and halts airstrikes on ISIS-held civilian areas (leaving it up to the US to be the bad guys against his people once again) Additional sources

Triple oops. Maybe Iraq's Shi'ite Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi should also talk to Ukraine's President Poroshenko in regards to bombing his own people at US and EU behest.

Guess the main take away here is that Obama's plans appear to be faltering. Other than that I make no judgement.

edit on 819pm3030pm12014 by Bassago because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 01:44 PM
link   
Are you kidding me? This is ridiculous! Screw Turkey! Screw the Middle East! Germany and the UK have lost their balls! Fine lets put our assets to work in our own country and border. Let ISIS wreak havoc wherever it wants. Let them go to India and China and Russia!

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Perhaps the blast that decimated the Good rebels leadership has bought the ISIL boys a change in direction from last week......certainly it would affect the position of strength the good rebels held before their leaders were wiped out hey?

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 01:49 PM
link   
a reply to: stirling

I don't really think there are any Good rebels in Syria. Just semi useful pawns for the west in this global chess game. All these rebels (whatever side) just want a piece of the power pie.

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 01:52 PM
link   
a reply to: GreenMtnBoys

Fine lets put our assets to work in our own country and border. Let ISIS wreak havoc wherever it wants. Let them go to India and China and Russia!

I agree with that sentiment. I'm sick and tired of the US trying to fix problems everywhere else when our own house is on fire. Let the ME nations deal with it.

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Good. this is a problem in the middle east for middle eastern nations. Let turkey and Syria and Iran and Jordan and whoever else take care of the problem, after all its on their back doors not ours.

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 01:53 PM
link   
My guess is an ally "base " is not needed. The new aircraft Carrier GW Bush has run over a hundred sorties so far in Iraq.

Once they start that in Syria, it won't matter who comes along for the ride.

Libya style intervention in Syria is about to begin.

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 01:53 PM
link   
Well if the idea is to make Obama look like an idiot, it's working.

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 01:54 PM
link   
This whole war that's not really a war business is embarrassing.

We have no leadership. No tactical military experience.

I don't want to send one American back to that ungrateful place.

Honestly, There is no plan. No real strategy. Our Leadership is weak.

I am glad I'm not in charge....I would be emptying out our stockpile of ICBM's.

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 01:55 PM
link   
So now this means that the US will need to create 'some sort of event' that justifies them going into Syria.

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 02:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bassago
a reply to: stirling

I don't really think there are any Good rebels in Syria. Just semi useful pawns for the west in this global chess game. All these rebels (whatever side) just want a piece of the power pie.

A good number of them became rebels after either regime or IS came to their villages and pillaged then, so..,

A number of them just want to protect their families. With their leadership decimated though, I have a feeling a few if not many will accept whoever as long as they make a few empty promises. The ones who were fighting for principle and leading the rest on that principle are dead.

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 02:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Bassago
I read this a couple of days ago. If I memory serves me right this pact was signed after the moderate opposition was taken out in a mysterious explosion, either on the same day or the previous one.

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 02:09 PM
link   
S&F .. I had seen this piece the other day and immediately ran for a drink .This whole mess has been hard on the head and I really didn't want to over think it but. ... K mmm oh yea , what is the US plan again ? Send them money ?? no no weapons ? ? buy their oil ?? Surely they are not going to attack Syria are they ?? I am sure Syria is expecting just that and are going to be ready ... Word has it that Germany and France is getting out of the EU and the USD and turning to the East ,but that is just a rumor that should be either confirmed or denied before the big freeze sets in this winter . a reply to: Bassago

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 02:25 PM
link   
a reply to: whyamIhere

I don't want to send one American back to that ungrateful place.

You know, something needs to be done for someone, for them to be ungrateful...
Last time I checked...
The US didn't do anything for Iraq or Syria...

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 02:28 PM
link   
“All warfare is based on deception. Hence, when we are able to attack, we must seem unable; when using our forces, we must appear inactive; when we are near, we must make the enemy believe we are far away; when far away, we must make him believe we are near.” ― Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Is the War on Terror a Hoax?

The “War on Terror” is a $6 Trillion Racket, Exceeding the Total Cost of World War II

The ISIS Islamic Terrorists are Supported by the US, Israel, and Saudi Arabia

edit on 14-9-2014 by seasoul because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 02:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Bassago

Don`t worry those bad ass Aussies are going after them, and don`t forget the 1500 US "advisers."

Australia sends troops to ME

Australia sends for the battle against IS fighters and soldiers to the VAE. The upcoming days 600 Australian troops are going to depart to the ME.

Premier Abbott says his government has not yet taken a decision over the deployment of combat forces. He also speaks of a sensible, proportionate contribution to the coalition against IS.

In that coalition are now ten countries, which last week at the NATO summit in Wales agreed on cooperation against IS. The Netherlands wasn`t invited for it.

nos.nl...

Dutch government ready to act against IS

The Netherlands is willing to join in with military actions against the terrorist movement IS. Aocrding Minister of Foreign Affairs Timmermans in a parliamentarian debate.

The co-operation is under condition that the international coalition lead by the US comes with strategy which can be supported by The Netherlands.

"We are open to all forms of operational support," said Secretary of Defense Hennis, who was also present at the debate.

nos.nl...

"Belgium ready for coalition against IS"

"If our country gets the question, then it is ready and willing to participate in an international coalition against IS," said the Prime Minister.

nos.nl...

edit on 14-9-2014 by BornAgainAlien because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 02:56 PM
link   
This is not the first time they have done this. With the FSA and Syrian Kurds getting western support the other rebel groups have to position themselves for post ISIS, post Assad. They tried this before with ISIS and they ended up fighting anyway. Assad tried it as well and they ended up fighting anyway. Not new and not expected. I would not be suprised to see ISIS and Assad agree to another ceasefire as well. This is the nature of the conflict. Which is why the US has been so careful and limited its involvement. In the end Syria is the side front. ISIS defeat in Iraq is what is key. In Syria ISIS does not have allies nor a good source of funding. So far things against ISIS are going as expected. All you people insisting the US had to get involved now you know why the had so little interest in doing so. The region is complex and sides are never black and white.

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 02:59 PM
link   
a reply to: kicked

Precisely, the question is which planned attack our government allows to happen and capitalizes on next. Now that Obongo has made an ass out of himself, there is no way he can back out.

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Just like I have said all along. ISIS will be used as an excuse to get into Syria, and remove Assad. The US tried last year to the great protest of Russia and China. This is an excuse for the US to get what they wanted last year...

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 03:08 PM
link   
a reply to: thesmokingman

Smoking is good for thinking.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join