It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NBC’s 3 Steps for Home Invasion Defense: Use Wasp Spray Illegally, Treat Invader ‘Like Royalty'

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Besides home invasion, there are bad people out there that will try to do ill just about anywhere. Same applies, gun is best protection. One time when I was out on my 3 wheel motorcycle hunting, 2 fellows in a pick up truck stopped ahead of me on a narrow dirt road and opened both doors wide...thinking I would be stupid and continue near/past them. Nope, I knew that woods like the back of my hand, did a quick turn into deep brush in woods and went on to one of my other deer stands.

Point being, I didn't let it spoil my plans. I had a shotgun with me, a bolt action rifle and a 45 Llama side arm. They didn't come around anyhow. One thing about Louisiana swamps, not much time before gators or coyotes or some such takes care of the perp or victim if need be. Some one planning ill on another hunter would have plenty of ways to dispose of a hapless hunter if need be...best to think smart, be smart and give no one that chance.

Buckshot/slugs are great as long as you pick up the casings. Never had to but I always think ahead.

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 04:55 PM
link   
a reply to: shrevegal

Good for you! LOL! Count 'em and pick "em all up...

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 07:20 PM
link   
a reply to: EveStreet Yep, and let God sort em out...I don't mean the casings. LOL.

Anyhow, I suppose what happened to me years ago relevant to that serial killer incident wised me up and toughened me up and I can think of at least 3 other times, it may have saved my life to be cautious. The one time I mentioned about that pickup truck and me hunting and how I dodged that dealy. Another time...true story...I was coming out of a big chain store and a guy was leaning on crutches and in a cast and had books on the ground in front of him and asked if I could help him. I hadn't known about Bundy or his MO at that time but instinct told me to forget helping. I told him where to go and went on my way. Cold, I know, but maybe wise on my part...maybe, rude but what the hey.

Another time, 2 young guys wanted to use my phone because of car trouble...I didn't have cell phone...I let them in but had my shotgun in hand and wearing my 45 as well and was standing well away from them. They made their call and left. Maybe they had to change their shorts later but too bad! LOL. Still, that was stupid...I shoulda just sent them packing.

The serial killer incident was what really wised me up. That guy had a gun, badge and police car with lights and everything...once I figured out things weren't on the up and up, I fought and it worked and was worth it. I didn't have a gun then but you can bet that isn't the case much anymore. It's a shame we live in that kind of world, where bad things can happen to good people. You just have to stay vigilant nowadays...and smart.

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 07:29 PM
link   
a reply to: TKDRL

Celebrities are far more public than most people.
how many normal people get death threats or asked for autographs?

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 07:31 PM
link   
a reply to: NoCorruptionAllowed

eh, group think,

Political correctness is groupthink,

It's politically correct to be pro-gun for red-state politicians/celebrities.

It's politically correct for "conservatives" to complain about political correctness.

edit on 15-9-2014 by NonsensicalUserName because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 07:32 PM
link   
a reply to: shrevegal

Good for you on both counts. If your "spider sense" is tingling, then it's probably a bad deal. And my mother taught me well when it comes to people at the door wanting to "call" someone for help. Ask them the number and what they need and YOU make the call for them.

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 07:36 PM
link   
a reply to: jjkenobi

do you think you can't counter sue them for breaking and entering your home?

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 07:42 PM
link   
a reply to: NonsensicalUserName
How many celebrities get raped, get murdered as opposed to regular people?

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 08:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: NonsensicalUserName
a reply to: jjkenobi

Yes you can sue a thief. Good luck collecting the judgement.

Good luck filing a suit if they murder you.

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 10:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

my options

Inside/outside intruders - Shotgun/.357/The weatherby or any sharp object
Inside if no gun - aerosol can and a lighter for ghetto flamethrower

outside - water baloons filled with gas or other flammable liquid ( the smell alone should give them an idea of what is coming after the water baloon ) Obviously a bit dangerous to yourself as well but effective for large groups of a-holes....

outside - Drop the bees nest on them ( bees are such a lovely home invasion deterrent ) easy to keep, of course in a breakable self contained unit high off the ground thats easy to drop down to the ground. Beekeeping has so many benefits...

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 10:46 PM
link   

A few days ago the neighbor supposedly almost got home invaded, the cops were there on scene pretty quick because I think they have a house alarm. But it happened at around the time when school kids get off, generally around that time the middle school is not far and there are a bunch of kids always walking home or with there parents by the area. And generally around that time the neighbors dogs bark like crazy a the kids walking by.

I remember when it happened like usual the dogs started barking, its so normal that you would not think anything was going on, but later the cop that came around asking said that somebody tried to get in the back door of the house and an alarm went off as nobody was home. In all whoever was scoping the place out, even though it was in midday and in plain daylight, they picked a pretty good time to break in, the dogs barking would not alert nobody around as its pretty normal for that time of day, and when the neighbors are not around there in a fenced area. So not only would it not be anything out of ordinary to anybody who heard it, but you would have noise, to cover your tracks if you needed to break a window or something.

So ya I believe it, cars go off in the middle of the night here once in a while it does not happen to often but it happens and at least 3 times over some years I am pretty sure somebody tried to break in. Once even my dads car got jacked for gas when he parked it across the street. I dont even know how they did that, but it could just be that they siphoned it with a tube, and likely did it the old fashion way, by sucking on it and letting it pour into a tank. Though they probably got some of that gas taste in there mouths as well.
edit on 10pmMondaypm152014f1pmMon, 15 Sep 2014 22:50:15 -0500 by galadofwarthethird because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 11:18 PM
link   

A Louisville slugger does wonders to a intruders body.

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 11:32 PM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

Oh ouch. Pretty brutal, especially that first story as the whole thing was started over gas. Boggles the mind, if they would have not bothered to break into the trailer, then when the first victims came by they could have just said they broke down and needed some gas to get going. And chances are they would have given them some, then everybody could have gone there own merry or not so merry way, but once that first murder happened, well I suppose they figured they were #ed either way and just continued on..and on...and on.

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 01:24 AM
link   
a reply to: apydomis
I knew I have seen this contingency plan of yours somewhere else, I could not quite pin point were and when. That is till, I thought about it a bit more, it did seem like a childish contingency plan, and then lightbulb clicked on. Its like a duh moment! Sometimes sarcasm does not interpret across the internet as well as we would hope to...Sometimes youtube videos work better.

I would however not advise anyone trying to use paint cans as booby traps, or marbles on stairs in the hopes of tripping up some likely armed home invaders, with what would be bad intentions, and a high possibility of escalating craziness, merely for the fact that they and you and possibly family would be in that situation. And even those with the best intentions and training when put in such situations...Well things tend to almost always never go as you assumed or envisioned they would go.

If anything a gun or being armed and ready just in case, is a bigger deterrent then anything else. For those that do not get it, its like this...If you were in the woods, and you were looking to score some pray because you just wanted to that day, or because you were hungry and being stuck in the woods you would need to hunt, but lets say that all you had on you was a knife or a bow and arrow, what would you go for...That grizzly bear that outweighs you by about 500 pounds and looks like its mean enough and fast enough to run you down across miles even with ten arrows in it, or that friendly duck that's just sitting there in that pond that seems unawares of its surroundings? The same things applies in generally all criminal cases. So if you were a criminal for whatever reason, you could be the most crazed sonofabitch or you could be down on your luck and decided to take things further. In any case who would you want to rob, that guy that is probably armed to the teeth and may know what he is doing? Or that guy who isn't, and looks like has no clue on what your about do? The bear or the duck?

Some may say that may be a bit stretching things, but it would not be far off in the mentality of anybody who would want to perpetrate a crime for whatever reason, and especially if there would be the possibly be somebody dying in it. You got to remember that even criminal for whatever reason and even the most deranged do not want to die, hence the whole point of it is to make sure that its less likely to happen in any given circumstance, hence creating situations to deter other situations. I for one think for what they work with, most cops do a decent job considering that when something like this goes down they would not likely be near or know about it till after the fact, even in a fight a harmless scrap, its not like cops are just around, and they would not know about it till somebody informed them, generally somebody on the scene calling it in.

Hence these gun people are right, generally in 95% of cases the Calvary comes over after the fact, and if that case is a matter of life or death in mere minutes, well you would get the picture. And unless you think they can teleport over to were you are at, the very second some random event or crime happens and is matter of life or death in your life, just beam over like in star trek. Well till then the fact is not going to change, that any help will likely be arriving after it all goes down. And most such home breakins do not happen that frequently I believe, everybody sees things from there perspectives.

To those who something like this never happened before they would not think it that big of a factor, so they would not know how fast something like this can happen, and who fast it can completely change things, so they misconstrue things. But to those who it did happen, they by virtue of the fact that it happened to them, there perspective on such thing would also be a bit construed to the fact that they would look for it to not happen again, and so they would see it more often hence taking precautions to not make themself a easy target, or a target period. The reality of with what frequency and why and when and how such thing happen would lie somewhere in the middle I believe, sure life and death situations happen, but the variables are many and they do not happen as often as some would think, but they do happen much more often then some would believe.

Hence if you can you should never make yourself a target when in a concrete jungle if you can help it. That is the essence of contingency plans, or the thing behind the whole right to bear arms thing, and we by far and even in the best of neighborhoods do not life in a utopia. As such I see no logical reason why you would not be allowed to protect yourself and family to the best of your ability's if you can do so. Guns dont kill people, people kill people. And of those people who are generally willing to kill people, they tend to generally go for those people who do not have guns or the means of protecting themself. Its why in the police was created in the first place, not necessarily to stop all crime, but as "another" deterrent to crime. But not the only one. And off course things are never that simple anywhere.

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 02:04 AM
link   
This reminds me of a warning sign I have seen.

"This house protected by a gun.
That door you just kicked in was there for your protection, not mine."

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 02:29 AM
link   
Between a bullet and a wasp, I'd rather take a bullet.

Or are we not talking about a can that spray wasps?

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 03:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: galadofwarthethird
a reply to: butcherguy

Oh ouch. Pretty brutal, especially that first story as the whole thing was started over gas. Boggles the mind, if they would have not bothered to break into the trailer, then when the first victims came by they could have just said they broke down and needed some gas to get going. And chances are they would have given them some, then everybody could have gone there own merry or not so merry way, but once that first murder happened, well I suppose they figured they were #ed either way and just continued on..and on...and on.

Both stories are about the same criminals. Their crime spree ran from PA to GA.

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 03:58 AM
link   
a reply to: NonsensicalUserName

You're exactly right. I caught someone rifling through my car late at night and just shouted at him. He booked it asap. There are some crazy people but generally speaking very few people seek out violence for non personal reasons. Stealing is pretty easy to justify though. Especially if you won't get caught.

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 04:11 AM
link   
Good Lord, now we've found someone that makes Ole Joe look absolutely brilliant!
I trust my shotgun.
Why would I want to fill my house with poison?

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 07:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: NonsensicalUserName

Attorneys working pro bono now? Know many thieves with a savings account or steady jobs you can place a judgement on when you win? Did you even think this through?

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join