It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Elon Musk: Tesla cars could run on full 'auto-pilot' in 5 years

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 09:56 AM
link   

Self-driving cars might be on the roads faster than most people think, says Tesla Motors CEO Elon Musk. Musk told reporters in Tokyo that Tesla is developing the technology for “full autopilot” consumer cars in just five years.

I have to say I'm pretty excited to find out about this. Now Google, Volvo AND Tesla are moving towards developing an autonomous vehicle -- sure seems like it's only a matter of time people. In my opinion, when proven safe and reliable, it will be the largest auto advancement since vehicles became self-propelled.

Let's just hope they don't go off course and explode like a SpaceX rocket!

Link
edit on 9/14/2014 by iamhobo because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 10:29 AM
link   
This is awesome. However, I think things should be laid out a bit clearer. Tesla motors will have self driving car capabilities in 5 years. However, that doesn't mean that the public roads...or people, will be ready for these changes/advancement. I say, sadly, society probably won't adopt these advancements for another 20 yrs or more.

It should be done ASAP though. Nothing worse than a state licensed human behind the wheel of a car IMHO.

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 10:52 AM
link   
This will be absolutely fantastic when it is finally implemented on our roads and affordable for all (If ever such a day may come...). The freedom this would grant the elderly who cannot or should not drive is reason enough. Mothers with children and small babies who need to be fed during a long car trip, this is just plain exciting!
edit on 14-9-2014 by ValentineWiggin because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Yeah I think it would be great for people who aren't able to drive. People who are blind come to mind, but I think the majority of drivers are already blind!

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 11:24 AM
link   
a reply to: iamhobo
Double.
edit on 14-9-2014 by funkadeliaaaa because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 11:24 AM
link   

The prospect of sun fueled cars becoming mainstream i find a lot more exctiting than this.

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 12:48 PM
link   
As long as I don't need to be looking out the window to make sure it's safe then it will be sweet.

Suffer from a long drive to work in the early morning? No Worries! You just need a Fully Enclosed and Auto-Pilot Enabled Motorized Bed Capsule. Have a snooze on your drive to work today!

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Mercedes S Class Active Lane Assist Hack: youtu.be...
The can is there to make the steering wheel think there's a hand on the steerin wheel.
It's the only way EU law let's mercedes make it.
Autonomous driving is not allowed just yet (just on very small strips of highway).

That's just a 'regular' mercedes S class...doing it's own driving.
Mercedes allready has a 'prototype' (the car is ready and not far off from the current model) called the mercedes s class intelligent drive.

Which would make it likely Elon Musk either had better step it up a bit (and I don't think that's true) or allready has his tech. ready ... and is (like mercedes) waiting for roads on which the law allows autonomous driving.
edit on 14-9-2014 by Daalder because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 03:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: SparkymedicI say, sadly, society probably won't adopt these advancements for another 20 yrs or more.

I think 20 years is a bit late:
    Late 2014, Volvo will feature Adaptive Cruise Control with steer assist which will automatically follow the vehicle ahead in queues. Mercedes already has it on some markets.
    Late 2014, The National Telecommunications and Information Administration is expected to set recommendations for setting aside broadband spectrum for autonomous cars.
    By 2015, Audi plans to market vehicles that can autonomously steer, accelerate and brake at lower speeds, such as in traffic jams.
    By 2015, California will allow the testing of vehicles without wheels or pedals such as Google's on public roads. This will follow a 120-day grace period after a rule to be introduced in late 2014.
    By Mid-2010's, Toyota plans to roll out near-autonomous vehicles dubbed Automated Highway Driving Assist with Lane Trace Control and Cooperative-adaptive Cruise Control.
    By 2016, Mobileye expects to release hands-free driving technology for highways.
    January 1, 2017 The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration hopes to mandate the adoption of Vehicle-to-Vehicle technology on all new automobiles.
    By 2017, Tesla plans an "autopilot" feature that handles 90% of miles driven. Tesla has partnered with Mobileye.
    By the 2017 model year, GM plans to offer a "super cruise" feature on select Cadillac models, with autonomous lane keeping, speed control, and brake control, so that parts of trips can be made without touching the wheel or pedals.
    Between 2017 to 2020, Google believes its Level 4 self-driving cars will be available to the public.
    By 2018, Nissan anticipates to have a feature that can allow the vehicle manoeuver its way on multi-lane highways.
    By 2019 or 2020, Tesla expects to provide "full auto-pilot capability."

That's just the next five years!

posted on Jul, 20 2016 @ 11:52 AM
link   

the self driving car thing is under very serious review today.... 20 July 2016... reviewing several recent accidents

ALSO tomorrow, 21 July 2016... Musk will give a public announcement about the TESLA buying out 'SolarCity' a solar panel based business...

I said, weeks ago, that Musk 'probably' has an idea of building out an electric car infrastructure of hundreds if not thousands of re-charge stations... almost as ubiquitious as the normal 'gas station' in the American landscape...

franchises galore as he builds the necessary infrastructure... with SolarCity recharge stations that are off grid and independently powered to service his TESLA electric cars foremost...
then all future competitors in the electric powered car market will use compatible batteries/ power units

well that's my forecast about his presentation to take place on Thursday the 21st of July 2016

and should create a whole subsector of economic growth, especially for TESLA & the Elon Musk empire

posted on Jul, 20 2016 @ 12:40 PM
link   
No they can't. Not in the USA. They'd need to develop special roads/lanes for them. Just way too many variables to take into account.

posted on Jul, 20 2016 @ 02:57 PM
link   
So you die of a hart attack.
and only after 5 years do they find out.

posted on Jul, 20 2016 @ 04:30 PM
link   
a reply to: St Udio

update info.... www.cnbc.com...

the link tells us Musk will address the public about his Master-Plan this evening 8 PM EDT , wed. 20 july instead of on Thursday as speculated earlier...

the new news came public at 3:15 PM EDT & I just found out the new broadcast time at 5:30 PM here on Wed. the 20th

top topics

join