It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Foolish Things of the World to Shame the Wise.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 08:06 AM
link   
1 Corinthians 1:27 But God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise; God chose the weak things of the world to shame the strong.

What do you know about this scripture? What have you been taught and what is your knowledge of these words.

I'm definitely foolish and weak. I have yet to see myself shame someone stronger or wiser.

I guess i'm just curious as to how this could work.

God seems to be taking a long time in carrying out his threatening.

So because i'm weak and foolish I feel chosen by the bible. God use me to shame the wise and strong. I think this would be fun.

It's like betting on the underdog and seeing him win.

But yep. What knowledge and love can you spread on this scripture? What ideas do you have and consider about it? What are the weak and foolish things?

The bible doesn't seem to be working. People are suffering and dying everyday. This suffering can be intensive. I've struggled for a long time with the truth of the bible yet i'm still no closer to any answers. My power is so limited.

It's possibly unfortunate that I advocate science and technology. It seems to be superior to God who for all intense purposes isn't existing.

I don't know how I can any longer support the weight of God and his theory of being.

I would like to see God. Yet I find there is noone on the entire planet with any knowledge of God, as in there is either no God or noone has that knowledge.

I'm still looking for God. But after so long I have become weary. Why God Why.

I know that evil exists. Perhaps this is the wise and strong that needs to be shamed. For evil on this planet seems very strong indeed but I wouldn't call evil wise.

How do you see God enacting this scripture? What is your interpretation.

I have just rambled really. I would just like your thoughts of the above scripture. I myself feel and am foolish and weak. A God would suit me just fine. Anyway post your thoughts.

Leeda

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 09:41 AM
link   
a reply to: leeda

I don't think you will ever see God with that attitude.

You say God makes threats. To mankind or to you?

If you don't believe in the bible than of course you don't believe but there is hope for all unbelievers.

Maybe one day you will re-examine your decisions about God and humble yourself before him...........

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 10:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: Jesuslives4u

I don't think you will ever see God with that attitude.

You say God makes threats. To mankind or to you?

If you don't believe in the bible than of course you don't believe but there is hope for all unbelievers.

Maybe one day you will re-examine your decisions about God and humble yourself before him...........

still idling in this thread hoping someone will attempt to define the sentence in question, id like to know what it means.

1 Corinthians 1:27 But God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise; God chose the weak things of the world to shame the strong.

anyone?

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 10:29 AM
link   

I would like to see God. Yet I find there is noone on the entire planet with any knowledge of God, as in there is either no God or noone has that knowledge. I'm still looking for God. But after so long I have become weary. Why God Why

Maybe you should seek the holy spirit/light/chi/kundalini in places you have not sought it. Be like a scientist test the different human theories and see what theories give result and what do not give result. Do not let people who say they know the right way fool you with indoctrination towards faith without proof. Gnosis is knowing not having ego based faith. Know like Jesus, Rumi, Nanak and Krishna. Higher level awareness.

The only words in the bible that are really needed to find the divine. It can take time but in the end you will find if you keep seeking.

"Keep asking, and it will be given to you. Keep searching, and you will find. Keep knocking, and the door will be opened to you.

edit on 14-9-2014 by LittleByLittle because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 10:48 AM
link   

Many people see kindness as a weakness. It's a popular thing to say now when some gets hurt or criticized for being kind.

If you promote Love many people will see you as a weak hippy or new ager.

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 11:15 AM
link   

I have yet to see myself shame someone stronger or wiser.

Why would you want to see yourself do such to another?

I believe God doesn't threaten anything, There is no reason to if one has the slightest understanding of what God is.

So because i'm weak and foolish I feel chosen by the bible. God use me to shame the wise and strong. I think this would be fun.

your fun in shaming others will only bring your more pain, more so than you think you have overcome in the past.

Shame on you.

What are the weak and foolish things?

depends what the situation holds.

The bible doesn't seem to be working.

You haven't pointed out what its function is to not be working.

People are suffering and dying everyday. This suffering can be intensive.

People are falling in love and being born every day, the joy can overwhelming.

I've struggled for a long time with the truth of the bible yet i'm still no closer to any answers.

If you know the truth of the Bible then the answers shouldn't elude you.

I would like to see God. Yet I find there is noone on the entire planet with any knowledge of God, as in there is either no God or noone has that knowledge.

You find there is no one on the entire planet with the knowledge you seek?

Are you God, omnipresence and omniscience, being everywhere and knowing everything?

There are many that know, those that know only believe as only ones faith can overcome the deception of what we know as reality.

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 12:08 PM
link   
You can find all the references to our role in suffering in the bible that you say has failed. That is why we are here to suffer that is.

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 12:35 PM
link   

What do you know about this scripture?

In Paul's time, when he wrote this, the Gentile world that he was preaching to was largely one rooted in Greek philosophy, and at the core of that was knowing, not believing. Christianity is counter to that, so what he is saying is that those who seek knowledge as the pinnacle of all things would be shown to be wrong in the end, because it is faith, not knowledge, that leads to the ultimate truth.

You should have seen this preceding the verse that you cited, which explains it fairly well:

For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God. For it is written:

“I will destroy the wisdom of the wise;
the intelligence of the intelligent I will frustrate.”

Where is the wise person? Where is the teacher of the law? Where is the philosopher of this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of the world? For since in the wisdom of God the world through its wisdom did not know him, God was pleased through the foolishness of what was preached to save those who believe. Jews demand signs and Greeks look for wisdom, but we preach Christ crucified: a stumbling block to Jews and foolishness to Gentiles, but to those whom God has called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God. For the foolishness of God is wiser than human wisdom, and the weakness of God is stronger than human strength. (1 Corinthians 1:18-25 NIV)

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 12:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: leeda

What do you know about this scripture? What have you been taught and what is your knowledge of these words.

I'm definitely foolish and weak. I have yet to see myself shame someone stronger or wiser.

I guess i'm just curious as to how this could work.

It's like betting on the underdog and seeing him win.

But yep. What knowledge and love can you spread on this scripture? What ideas do you have and consider about it? What are the weak and foolish things?

The bible doesn't seem to be working. People are suffering and dying everyday. This suffering can be intensive. I've struggled for a long time with the truth of the bible yet i'm still no closer to any answers. My power is so limited.

It's possibly unfortunate that I advocate science and technology. It seems to be superior to God who for all intense purposes isn't existing.

I don't know how I can any longer support the weight of God and his theory of being.

I'm still looking for God. But after so long I have become weary. Why God Why.

I know that evil exists. Perhaps this is the wise and strong that needs to be shamed. For evil on this planet seems very strong indeed but I wouldn't call evil wise.

How do you see God enacting this scripture? What is your interpretation.

I have just rambled really. I would just like your thoughts of the above scripture. I myself feel and am foolish and weak. A God would suit me just fine. Anyway post your thoughts.

Leeda

Basically it means this:
God Can Use Anyone
The next time someone says God can’t use someone just remember that:

Noah was a drunk
Abraham was too old
Isaac was a daydreamer
Jacob was a deceiver
Joseph was a slave
Moses had a stuttering problem
Gideon was afraid
Samson was a womaniser
Rahab was a prostitute
David had an affair and was a murderer
Solomon worshipped false idols
Elijah was suicidal
Isaiah preached naked
Jeremiah cried all the time
Jonah ran from God
Naomi was a widow
Job went bankrupt
Thomas was a doubter
Peter denied Christ three times
Martha worried about everything
The Samaritan woman at the well slept with multiple men
The disciples fell asleep while praying
Paul persecuted Christians
Timothy was too young to do anything great

Moses stuttered
David's armour didn't fit
John Mark was rejected by Paul
Timothy had ulcers
Amos' only training was in the school of fig-tree pruning
Jacob was a liar
Solomon was too rich
Peter was afraid of death
Lazarus was dead
John was self-righteous
Paul was a murderer
Jonah ran from God
Miriam was a gossip
Jeremiah was depressed and suicidal
Elijah burned out
John the Baptist ate locusts
Moses had a short fuse

You want to see God? Then you need to get to know Jesus. Jesus is the way to God. Jesus is love and forgiveness.

People are suffering and dying - that's the world we live in. But it won't be forever. The devil is running rampant throughout the world causing whatever chaos and harm and evil he can and people aren't in tune with God and so evil continues. People have hardened their hearts, have shut God out and they don't believe in Him. Think of it like a stone cast into a puddle - the ripples go out and out touching whatever is in the water. This is how sin works. And if we aren't focused on Jesus then our reaction causes further ripples. But we can have peace and comfort and surety - just be having Jesus in your life.

You don't have to work so hard. With Jesus living in your heart your whole mindset changes. You rely on Him, walk with Him and your entire life changes. We rest in Him.

Not sure if that makes any sense. Too many people, including Christians complicate things. You simply have to get to know Him.

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 02:26 PM
link   

I would like to see God.

You're trying to find God with only your eyes and your mind by using some kind of scientific method. God doesn't work that way. That's why the Bible says...

Colossians 2:8 - Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ.

Those are the "foolish" things in this life.

Seek Christ out with your spirit. The best way to do that is to pray, ask for guidance, and read the Bible. Hopefully, doing this will help your spirit to resonate with the Holy Spirit that only comes from God.

There's no amount of intelligence, education, or human wisdom that will help you to find God. You must ask for God's wisdom to replace your weak and foolish human wisdom.

Isaiah 55:6-9

6 Seek ye the Lord while he may be found, call ye upon him while he is near:

7 Let the wicked forsake his way, and the unrighteous man his thoughts: and let him return unto the Lord, and he will have mercy upon him; and to our God, for he will abundantly pardon.

8 For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the Lord.

9 For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts.

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 10:34 PM
link   

1 Corinthians 1:27 'But God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise; God chose the weak things of the world to shame the strong.'

The way I see and understand this verse is that God did not send His Son to be the top hob-nob of any existing religious organisation clothed in pomp and splendour; but rather as an itinerant preacher, who didn't preach so much to the church attendees, but to the 'foolish' - those outside whom the church goers would despise.

His disciples weren't highly trained priests or ministers who were high up within the church, but who were ordinary 'religiously-foolish' fishermen. It is the words and actions of these fishermen that have echoed down history within the Scriptures; thus the foolish put to shame the wise!

It wasn't those high-up in the church who recognised him, but the ordinary people on the streets. For all their Biblical knowledge it was the Pharisees who falsely accused him of casting out demons by the power of Satan. So those who were weak in theology put to shame the strongly educated experts.

And I believe this pattern of things will be repeated...

edit on 14/9/2014 by Maigret because: Proofing

edit on 14/9/2014 by Maigret because: Typo

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 02:24 AM
link   
It's a mixed up world Leeda, and it is in our weakness that we find strenght.

top topics

join