It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

High potassium dishes/food combos

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Hi.

I recently went for a blood test as part of some medical issues im dealing with and i got a phone call from my doc.

He said that unlike his usual calls regarding potassium, my levels were dangerously low, he usually has to tell people to lay off it rather than to put more in. He said find low potassium diets and then eat everything it says to avoid. Things like potatoes, sweet potatoes, greens, bacon, dark chocolate, peanut butter, dried apricots and a host of other fairly boring foods (white beans and such).

Now, while i can and have been eating these foods individually im rapidly getting bored.

My question to any nutrition savvy foodies out there is this: Are there any interesting meals that can be made using mostly high potassium ingredients out there i can whip up for dinner to make this stabilization process more interesting? While i will soldier on munching away on these as is, bacon baked potatoes and bananas and dark chocolate pudding is getting harder and harder to eat.

Any cunning meal ideas guys and gals?

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 04:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Biigs

Easy,

Banana's.

Usually half a banana is enough to keep the human body going on the mineral for a few days, just start eating half a banana a day for about a week, the sudden 'shock' to your system might actually give you TOO MUCH, and it can cause problems, just like if you were too low, you can overdose. After a week, slowly weed off to many half every two days and then finally maybe one banana a week.
I say half because they are high in sugar, if you ate a banana everyday your blood sugar will be too high. I'd couple it with maybe morning breakfast, or lunch. Try not to eat them on their own, it'll slow digestion that way.

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 04:27 PM
link   
a reply to: strongfp

Ive been eating a banana after my evening meal every day for the past week. I dont mind the bananas, they seem to work nice in combination with the meal and they have good fiber as well.

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Well, if you feel you are getting bored.
Try start eating fish more, coupled with dark leaf lettuce salads, that combination of food right there has THOUSANDS of recipes. And they are quite high in the mineral.
If you are still low, then maybe you're body is having a hard time retaining it, and you'd need to supplement.
I know whey protein shakes are very high in potassium. Maybe get some of that and add it into a smoothie or a glass of water a day.
edit on 13-9-2014 by strongfp because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Yeah Salmon was quite high up on the list for high potassium fish in particular, which is good because i happen to be a huge fan of the salmon fillet.

Definitely putting a few of those on my next shopping list!

I can think of plenty of dishes that contain the foods listed, but id like to find a few that contain a few of them in a tasty way. Im not after eating a super high potassium dish every night, but a nice solid high content one every few days would be a good idea, i need to boost my levels significantly and then keep it high for a few months its only been a few weeks and its getting dull and harder to enjoy - as we all know if you dont enjoy your food to some degree you simply wont have the appetite to eat it.

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 04:59 PM
link   
How about a bacon-topped meatloaf? We have a recipe that uses cheese and we also add mushrooms to it.

Mushrooms are high in potassium and can be added to a lot of things because they are very earthy and subtle in flavor.

Also winter squash is high in potassium. We like to simply cut ours in halves and roast it slowly in the over and them melt some butter in the half and season with salt and pepper. Alternately, you can use cinnamon and brown sugar or maybe honey. Winter squash can also be made into soups and stews for a variety of dishes, and it's in season now and keeps.

Avocado is also high in potassium. We like to simply mash ours and season with salt and eat with tortilla chips, but you can add a dash of lemon or lime juice, tomato, garlic, whatever to make your guacamole.

Molasses also contains potassium.

Here's a list.

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 05:03 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Mushrooms i love, squash isnt one of my faves but i dont mind it, will have to try that out.

Avocado however i cannot stand at all, it makes me feel sick, its not the texture its the taste, i do not get on well with that what so ever so you can leave those recipes out
You can include dishes for the interest of the thread for others, but i wont be touching any avocados with a ten foot pole!

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Lite Salt(really easy way to get potassium, 1g has 350mg)
Avacado
Brocolli
Spinach
Banana
White Beans

Here's a site with some other stuff too:

www.healthaliciousness.com...

Usually potassium deficiencies are a sign you aren't eating healthy. It is an easy fix, just add more green leafy vegetables and some lite salt and you're good to go.

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Twice Baked Potato Casserole (a family favorite)

1-1/2 pounds red potatoes (about 6 medium), baked
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 pound sliced bacon, cooked and crumbled
3 cups (24 ounces) sour cream
2 cups (8 ounces) shredded mozzarella cheese
2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
2 green onions, sliced

Preheat oven to 350°. Cut baked potatoes into 1-in. cubes. Place half in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Sprinkle with half of the salt, pepper and bacon. Top with half of the sour cream and cheeses. Repeat layers.
Bake, uncovered, 20-25 minutes or until cheeses are melted. Sprinkle with onions. Yield: 6-8 servings.

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 05:32 PM
link   
Bacon-topped Meatloaf

1/2 c Manwich
2 eggs
8 oz fresh mushrooms, chopped
1 tbsp. Worcesterchire sauce
1 md. onion, chopped
1 pck (8 oz) shredded Cheddar cheese, sharp is best
2/3 c dry bread crumbs
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
2 lbs lean ground beef
1 lb ground pork
bacon, enough to top loaf

1. In a bowl, combine the first 9 ingredients
2. Crumble the beef and pork over the mixture and mix well
3. Shape into a loaf in an ungreased 13x 9 baking dish and top with bacon (as much as you like, or to cover loaf)
4. Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees for 70-80 minutes or until meat is no longer pink and a meat thermometer reads 160 degrees
5. Drain and let stand for 10 minutes before cutting.

Keep in mind this is portioned to make enough to feed three with leftovers for a good chunk of a week. So you can cut it down. Also, ground beef is also going to have a decent amount of potassium.
edit on 13-9-2014 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 05:37 PM
link   
The banana should be avoided if a person has an allergy to ragweed. Especially in the last half of August and most of September. They share similar chemistry.

There is also a cross reaction between the banana and potato/tomato/carrot/and many more in some people. This is the Class one cross reactivity. The potato, tomato, and pepper contains some adjuvant chemistry that makes allergies worse, but that is better than the banana which can react to form a latex allergy in people.

Choose the potato and try to see if you have any allergies appear with other foods. It is like a cigarette, if you are eating something you are allergic to the cigarette will make the allergy worse. This can be used as a tool to find if a person has allergies to other foods I suppose. Even the tomato adjuvates allergies. So they will show up.

Potatoes contain more potasium than an equal amount of banana.

If you are low on potassium you will be weak and twitchy, the heart can beat irregular.. If your potassium is high you are strong and twitchy or have an irregular heart beat. Seems the only difference is in how strong your muscles seem. Also you can puff up if you are low in potassium.

Take a multimineral tablet, make sure it contains Molybdenum in it. Now if you drink the body gets overloaded with potassium. The antidote is to smoke when you drink as the nitrogen lowers potassium. Are you eating a lot of hot foods? They contain niacin, a nitrogen compound. You can balance the hot food with foods containing luicines, so have corn on the cob or pork and beans with those BBQ spare ribs.
edit on 13-9-2014 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 05:41 PM
link   
a reply to: tinker9917

Potato Casserole:

in a 9x13 pan (sprayed with non-stick spray), pour a 32 oz bag of frozen country style hashbrowns (the small cubed potatoes). Let them sit an hour or so to partially thaw.

In a bowl mix the following:

1 can cream of chicken soup
1 can cream of cheddar soup
8 oz sour cream
1 cube melted butter
1/4 cup milk
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
OPTIONAL: chopped bacon or cubed ham can also be mixed in

Spread mixture on top of potatoes.

Mix 1/2 cube of melted butter with 2 cups crushed cornflakes, and spread on top of soup mixture.

Bake 1 1/2 hr on 335 degrees.

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 06:45 PM
link   
Low sodium V8 juice man. 30% daily per can. 1030.68 mg.

If you're a fatty fat fat try it as a snack between meals and it might help curb hunger too.

I just started drinking the stuff for a different reason, but was pleased when I saw the potassium number. The sodium isn't all that bad either and it's like 50 calories per can. 2 servings of vegetables.

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 07:01 PM
link   
I drink coconut water everyday. I can literally feel myself becoming hydrated when I drink it. Add a banana, a kiwi and a few strawberries and you might just have a new reason to wake up. Organic when possible.

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 12:53 AM
link   
Flax seed peanut butter smoothies should become your breakfast.

top topics

join