It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cars that drive themselves starting to chat with each other

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 12:50 PM
link   
More news from the robot revolution. Cars will not just drive themselves but they will start to chat with each other.

DETROIT (Reuters) - An Acura RLX sedan demonstrated an unusual way to tow another car this week: the vehicles were not physically attached. The second car drove itself, following instructions beamed over by the first in a feat of technology that indicates a new stage in automation is happening faster than many expected.

Systems that enable vehicles to communicate with each other have been developed in recent years in parallel with features that enable cars to drive themselves. Manufacturers and suppliers now are putting the two together in novel ways, with broad implications for vehicle safety and convenience.

General Motors Co, Honda Motor Co, which owns Acura, and other automakers are working with traditional suppliers and startup firms. Tech giants Google, with its pioneering work on driverless cars, and Apple, which is working with automakers to embed greater connectivity in their cars, are accelerating the change.

"It is the mix of big companies -- Apple, Google, the automakers and the data aggregators -- that starts to create momentum. Two years ago, it was different. It was a promise. Today, it’s reality," said Laurens Eckelboom, executive vice president of business development at Parkmobile, a smart-parking startup whose investors include BMW AG and Ford Motor Chairman Bill Ford's venture capital firm Fontinalis Partners.

news.yahoo.com...

Things are advancing quickly in this space. I was reading an article the other day about Japans plans for the robot revolution.

Japan plans robot revolution

Tokyo - Japan plans to broaden the market for robots beyond their main use in manufacturing to the service sector, including guesthouses and care homes, Prime Minister Shinzo Abe told a meeting of a new government committee Thursday.

The fact that humans do simple and difficult work themselves contributes to the labour shortage and prevents a rise in productivity, Jiji press news agency reported Abe as saying.

He told a meeting of the committee on the Realisation of a Robot Revolution that his growth strategy is to double the size of the market for industrial robots to 1.2 trillion yen (11.2 billion dollars) by 2020.

www.nationmultimedia.com...

Cars communicating with each other will be a good thing and it should help reduce accidents.

edit on 13-9-2014 by neoholographic because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 12:57 PM
link   
a reply to: neoholographic

Yeah, but the second they start texting each other, we'll be doomed.

SnF for an interesting article.

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Its basic sense that cars will some how need to communicate their actions ahead of time to allow enough time for everyone else to make space for them to move into position, we do it with various indicators and expect a certain level of f-wit behind the other cars wheel when we indicate.

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 01:11 PM
link   
The more I think about it, the more I wonder. . . .

We'll be placing our very lives in the hands of programmers.

One "virus", one single error in millions of lines of code, and *smoosh* we're road goo on the asphalt.

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 01:11 PM
link   
It's the devious teenaged hacker having a pop at driverless cars that i'd be worried about.

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 01:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer
The more I think about it, the more I wonder. . . .

We'll be placing our very lives in the hands of programmers.

One "virus", one single error in millions of lines of code, and *smoosh* we're road goo on the asphalt.

The same way you place your very life in the hands of assembly-line workers every time you get behind the wheel.

What's the difference? There are multiple individual vehicle components that, if they were to fail at speed, you would be unable to control what happened next.

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 01:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Answer

Good point. A valid point.

Do you think that this would reduce or potentially increase fatalities?

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 01:37 PM
link   
I thought that the self driving cars communicating was half the point of them, not just the lazy factor of being driven everywhere and having to do nothing.

But a car that talks to another car, will know what the other cars going to do before it does it - this is clearly a good thing.

You know when your driving and you come to a turn or a roundabout and you say to yourself (though really aimed at the other driver) you say "ahh and what are you going to do, stay there, stay stay, okay good" well imagine they could actually respond, thats what these robot cars will be able to do and in a fraction of a second.

edit on b3838133 by Biigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 01:47 PM
link   
New way to repo a car . . .

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 02:06 PM
link   

2020 will be the year driverless cars will be the norm and the major service providers will charge a monthly fee to use the "information highway" The cars will be affordable but the internet bill will kill you.

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 02:20 PM
link   

What are the main causes of accidents on freeways? Drivers tailgating or going too fast for the conditions on the road - black ice, fog, haze, rain, sleet, snow. Cars already have sensors to prevent skids - they are called anti-lock brakes. But there is no advanced warning of braking except when the tail lights of a vehicle suddenly go red.

Getting cars to communicate with the one in front and behind would help to prevent tailgating. It would be simple enough for a vehicle to flash up a "hazard ahead" warning to the driver if under manual control, if they did get too close to the vehicle in front. Though some driver tailgate others just because they feel the other person is driving too slow for road conditions.

But if the vehicles can talk to each other, then they can synchronize accelerating and braking and remain at a safe distance all the time.

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 02:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: stormcell

What are the main causes of accidents on freeways? Drivers tailgating or going too fast for the conditions on the road - black ice, fog, haze, rain, sleet, snow. Cars already have sensors to prevent skids - they are called anti-lock brakes. But there is no advanced warning of braking except when the tail lights of a vehicle suddenly go red.

Getting cars to communicate with the one in front and behind would help to prevent tailgating. It would be simple enough for a vehicle to flash up a "hazard ahead" warning to the driver if under manual control, if they did get too close to the vehicle in front. Though some driver tailgate others just because they feel the other person is driving too slow for road conditions.

But if the vehicles can talk to each other, then they can synchronize accelerating and braking and remain at a safe distance all the time.

This.

Also if everyone was maintaining AT LEAST the posted speed limit, it would solve a lot of problems. Speed isn't a problem, rate of approach is a problem. More accidents are caused by people going 10-15mph below the speed limit than by the people exceeding it.

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Not to mention sexting!

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Damn if they make service robots the American economy is really dead.

Cool tech though.

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 03:24 PM
link   
So eventually many people will have cars that drive themselves. And I'm sure somehow they will find a way to shut them down or park the cars. Like in Minority Report when they pulled his car into a separate lane and turned it off.

No more getaway cars I gather. They'll know where you are, shut it off and lock the doors.

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Interesting.
I don't like the idea of cars driving themselves and communicating with each other. What if there is a glitch and TPTB say you are wanted on a warrant. Does the car lock and automatically drive you to a drive-thru jail? No thanks. I will restore an older vehicle before I would own a vehicle like this.

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Yeah, I saw this movie.

It was called "Cars".

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 06:13 AM
link   
The idea is good and it's a step in the right direction.
My main issue with it is trust. It's alright going to the local shop around the corner with it, but I wouldn't want to be on the motorway going 70mph just sat watching. It would scare me s**less.
Glitches WILL happen, VIRUSES will happen. They're computers so they will have problems. I just have an issue with trusting them at speed.

new topics

top topics

join