It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MUST SEE!! Student frustrated with teacher...

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 05:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Lyxdeslic

I didn't start the thread with the point of questioning his actions they are irrelevant.

What matters is that the school system needs to change.

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 05:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Night Star

Hi Night! I agree that in my day it would have been the same way!

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 05:34 PM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

I totally agree with that! Years ago when I was in school we thought the same thing!! SO finding the main problem is what they need to do. I see it as the teachers need to be more involved on a personal level with their class......

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 05:47 PM
link   
I just want to say that I agree with the kid that there's a serious problem with our educational system and it needs to be addressed. I have said I wouldn't send my kids to public school. But 99% of the time, it's not the teachers' fault.

My beef is with his approach and his apparent disrespect of the teacher and the classroom. As someone else said, is he going to pitch a fit like this when he gets frustrated with something at work? He won't last long. Part of being mature is NOT throwing tantrums when you get frustrated. He's 18, not 2.

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 06:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

Wow, evidently you don't know what a tantrum looks like. He coherently articulated the problem and expressed a resolution to the problem, as well as pointing out the neglectful behavior of the teacher. A tantrum would be cussing up a storm without any coherent points being made, other then vehement disgust. Disrespect? Really? The teacher was being far more disrespectful to the child by not trying to understand where he's coming from. Adults live in this fantasy world where they think because they are older, they're some how more entitled to their opinion over the one of a child's. I'm so fed up with the older generations. My parents were the same way: "do as I say, not as I do". Nothing but hypocrites and liars.

"99% of the time, it's not the teachers"
This is clearly an exaggerated statistic, but do you know where the problem really lies, 99% of the time?
With the parents. Period. A child can't understand responsibility or respect if they were not taught; if they didn't grow up in an environment which could teach them such things. However, that's not the case here, because he was respectful. Emotional, but respectful.

This is my last post on this thread because I am too overwhelmed by the shear lack of any kind of intelligible thought or understanding going on here. I don't have the patience that Night Star or onequestion have, to repeatedly beat my head against a wall.

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 06:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Aedaeum

I agree totally with your post here! It is frustrating to keep saying the same things and people NOT getting the point!

Good Post!!!

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 06:41 PM
link   

My beef is with his approach and his apparent disrespect of the teacher and the classroom. As someone else said, is he going to pitch a fit like this when he gets frustrated with something at work? He won't last long. Part of being mature is NOT throwing tantrums when you get frustrated. He's 18, not 2.

His approach? Any normal person who gets upset doesn't sit there trying to be philosophical about it, they just react. All he did was ask a simple question and the teacher swears at him and throws him out of class? Really?

Pitch a fit, throwing tantrums? That was in no way a fit or tantrum. I'd probably scare you half to death if I pitched a fit or threw a tantrum. LOL

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 06:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Aedaeum

Great post and I can understand your frustration in dealing with those who don't seem to understand.

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 09:04 PM
link   
a reply to: SyxPak

It's systemic

These issues are reflections of our culture.

Our culture is wrong the systems we use are wrong

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 10:22 PM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

I agree totally!!!

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 10:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic
I just want to say that I agree with the kid that there's a serious problem with our educational system and it needs to be addressed. I have said I wouldn't send my kids to public school. But 99% of the time, it's not the teachers' fault.

This young man would be promoted in any decent workplace.

That teacher is a disgrace,and should not be there.

The young man DID NOT pitch a fit,he was extremely well spoken while the teacher was a putz.

Google "teachers charged with sexual crimes" and educate yourself.there are HUNDREDS OF CONVICTED CRIMINAL EX-TEACHERS...these are just the ones caught so we know the problem runs much deeper than what we are seeing on the surface,from my brief research it looked like a landslide of FEMALE offenders as well, there is something to be drawn from this, young men and women in these positions may not be MATURE enough,yes legally able to vote but not mature enough to responsibly teach.

The respect card has TWO identical faces to it,and the Dark Ages of strapping students and corporal punishment and over-the-line control mechanisms are OVER.

I stand by the kid.

Many High School kids are hands down more intelligent in every way than their teachers and more than a few are equally as mature as their younger teachers.This young man trumped his teacher in both instances,not such an unheard of dynamic.

The 51% 18 year old student who took 3-4 years of Keg Party Post Seconday Education and scored a steady reliable 51% through that training will NOT be at 22 yrs old the brightest bulb in most high school classes,lets be real here.

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 11:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: TKDRL
a reply to: Lyxdeslic
I was taught that respect is earned, and that it is a two-way street.

What I was taught is a bit more nuanced... give authority respect until they give you a good reason not to. I've since watched the intro video and the teacher basically does nothing it's just the students reaction. I'm not sure he's in the right, we would need much more context (is that given in the followup videos?) such as teaching style and even the lesson at hand.

The kid said something we know to be true about the education system in general, but that doesn't mean it was true of this teacher in general. Even if we take some of the secondhand comments from the teacher as fact it just makes her sound unprofessional, that doesn't mean she teachers poorly. The teacher that has had the highest or second highest impact on my life happened to be blatantly unprofessional.

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 01:09 AM
link   
a reply to: one4all

We're in a new dark age.

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 01:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: wutang717
Has anyone mentioned the fact that this kid also dropped out at one point? Just curious.

Tosh.0 also had this kid on last year at some point and time. Tosh was able to dig a little deeper but I can't find the video ATM.

Just my opinion but from the looks of the kids in that class, it looks like one of those classes where the kids who constantly cause a ruckus end up in.

Lol! I think i know where you are going with your assesment of that "look" you mentioned. And if you were able to arive at your assesment by observing the single student that was clearly in view if the camera, or the voice of the student recording, who were black, then you have your own fundamental issues to evaluate.

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 01:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic

originally posted by: onequestion

Oh stop self aggrandizing.

Sorry, it's my way...

Success relies heavily in circumstance and environment and if you don't believe that your looking the other way.

I do believe that they are factors, but that's not the ONLY determining factor of success. Circumstance, environment, hard work, dedication and personal responsibility are a few more. Do you think Oprah Winfrey depended on circumstance and environment to make her successful?

Oprah winfrey would have had to do a fraction if the amount of work if she was born and raised from a middle to upper class neighborhood.

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 08:28 PM
link   
He sounds smart and knows what he is talking about but the problem is hes preaching to the wrong quire. She wont change anything at all and he would know. An incapable teacher will always remain so.

I once high school had an algebra teacher get annoyed at me when i received a packet back graded with questions marked wrong. I questioned her telling her they were not wrong. She just rolled her eyes and said the answer sheet said they were. I told her the answer sheet was wrong. She again was annoyed. I challenged her to do the problems herself just to prove to her that the answer sheet had incorrect answers on it. For years she was probably marking people wrong on things they were correct on.

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 08:50 PM
link   

a reply to: intrepid

I don't need to know that kid or the teacher to know that what he says is true.

I can actually see the ideas outside of the person and analyze them separate from my judgements of the individual.

A stupid mind discusses individuals. A smart mind discusses events. A great mind discusses Ideas.

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 08:53 PM
link   

a reply to: one4all

We're in a new dark age.

So true. We live in a day where the generations blame each other for the failures and inadequacies they perceive in the world. A paradigm like this is doomed to fail and.... you guessed it! War, bloodshed and all around degeneration of human capability and knowledge.

But as long as we have someone to blame most people are okay with that.

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 10:57 PM
link   
a reply to: corvuscorrax

That's funny because if said the same thing earlier in the thread.

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 11:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aural
He sounds smart and knows what he is talking about but the problem is hes preaching to the wrong quire. She wont change anything at all and he would know. An incapable teacher will always remain so.

I once high school had an algebra teacher get annoyed at me when i received a packet back graded with questions marked wrong. I questioned her telling her they were not wrong. She just rolled her eyes and said the answer sheet said they were. I told her the answer sheet was wrong. She again was annoyed. I challenged her to do the problems herself just to prove to her that the answer sheet had incorrect answers on it. For years she was probably marking people wrong on things they were correct on.

My HS algebra teacher was the best teacher I ever had, she taught me in every math class I took for four years and is responsible for the way I think about problems today. I'm surprised your teacher used an answer sheet, math is all about the process, the answer to any given problem is only secondary. Answer sheets are rather poor for demonstrating the process.

new topics

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12 >>

join