It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Christians put a Hex on me?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 10:37 AM
link   
a reply to: Logarock

So if I express disappointment, because someone tells me they have evidence of the existence of god, then posts some senseless ramblings, it obviously must mean I have a dysfunction?

That question is rhetorical btw. I'm looking for an intelligent debate based on logic.

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 10:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Subaeruginosa

That question is rhetorical btw. I'm looking for an intelligent debate based on logic.

Not with that heading!

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 10:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: OptimusSubprime

Saying that the Bible has been altered and mistranslated by man is purely conjecture on your part. There is overwhelming scientific evidence, through the science of textual criticism, that shows beyond any doubt that the Bible today says exactly what the earliest manuscripts said. It has not been altered or mistranslated. Your claims hold no water, so the question isn't is the Bible accurate, because that has been proven, regardless of your opinion on it. The real question is... do you choose to believe it? I do and many others do, and clearly you and many others don't.

Ah, is pretty common knowledge the bible has had several things withheld or just not included...I.e Solomon, Lilith ect

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 10:52 AM
link   
I'm not sure if your post is about the existence of God or whether God is the right side to be on, so I'll make just one point. The devil is about you having the freedom to do anything you want to. Do you see that as a good thing?

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 10:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: Subaeruginosa
a reply to: Logarock

So if I express disappointment, because someone tells me they have evidence of the existence of god, then posts some senseless ramblings, it obviously must mean I have a dysfunction?

The truth is I didn't say anything of the sort. About the existence of God that is, in any post on this thread. I was simply pointing out the fallacy of claiming, as you did, that faith was an effort to deal with mortality but then offering the true hope of mankind as science when science hasn't even offered a solution to the question.

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 01:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

You've actually bought up a very good point here. When I debate Christians in real life, one of the most common things I hear is, “if there was no religion, then what’s stopping people from just going around murdering, raping and robbing there fellow man?”.

Now what other conclusion can a person make from such an odd comment, except that the only thing stopping them from doing these things is there fear of being punished by god. It’s basically an admission that they don’t posses the intelligence to make rational decisions on their own.

Well I’m more than capable, so yes total freedom suits me just fine. Anyone who is incapable belongs in jail, not church!

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 03:00 PM
link   

I mean, even going by the current biblical writings, it would seem to me that God stands for everything of which we consider evil within a modern world and Satan everything of that which is good.

Think about it. God is all about holding back knowledge and truth, he demands full control and to be obeyed at all times, is that not dictatorship? Yet Satan would seem to stand for the exact opposite. He promotes spreading knowledge and truth and is all for freedom of thought and speech, he even fights for equality.

As humans we have a sinful nature, this is why you might think that Satan represents those things which are good in your eyes. Satan wants to spread knowledge because he knows that we have a tendency to misuse it for evil over that which is good, due to our sinful nature. God knows this too, that's why he wants to limit it. By the way, knowledge doesn't always lead to truth. As humans, we error in recognizing what's true and what's not. That's why we should leave it to God and have faith that he will decipher it for us. He's the only one filled with light and truth. God is the only one who can save us from ourselves. We can't save each other and we'll never be equal to God, which is what Satan wants us to believe. Thousands of years of human existence has already proven this to be true if people truly take the time to reflect on our mistakes and human history. That's what we were put on this earth to learn.

edit on 14-9-2014 by Deetermined because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Abandoning our ancient beliefs and turning all our energy on advancing the scientific method is the only chance man has of taking control of our own fate.

When man takes control of it's own fate, it only leads to all of us dying sooner by killing each other off.

edit on 14-9-2014 by Deetermined because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 03:19 PM
link   

You've actually bought up a very good point here. When I debate Christians in real life, one of the most common things I hear is, “if there was no religion, then what’s stopping people from just going around murdering, raping and robbing there fellow man?”.

Now what other conclusion can a person make from such an odd comment, except that the only thing stopping them from doing these things is there fear of being punished by god. It’s basically an admission that they don’t posses the intelligence to make rational decisions on their own.

I would not call it fear. The vast majority of Christians do not follow the fire and brimstone style of repercussion. What is taught is right and wrong. Now if you are saying that it is an inherent quality of humans to know this I would need to disagree with you. Satanist see that there is only self will to do as you like with none of it good or evil.

[Quote]
Well I’m more than capable, so yes total freedom suits me just fine. Anyone who is incapable belongs in jail, not church!

Jailed for what? With no right or wrong then there is nothing one could do to go to jail, well unless someone else decided they would like to put people in jail. When we go back to the dark ages we see how humans handle situations where humans could be put in the position to have power over others.

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 03:35 PM
link   

All wars have been based on spiritual beliefs or irrational ideologies.

Before anyone starts ranting on about hitler, he was raised catholic and was deeply religious, he talked constantly about being chosen for a higher purpose by a higher power. He was just against traditional Christianity and wanted to create his own Nazism religion.

This is precisely why I said knowledge and truth are not synonymous.

Hitler only thought he was religious and chosen for a higher purpose by a higher power, just like you thought you were a passionate Christian clear up until your twenties.

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 04:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Deetermined

Abandoning our ancient beliefs and turning all our energy on advancing the scientific method is the only chance man has of taking control of our own fate.

When man takes control of it's own fate, it only leads to all of us dying sooner by killing each other off.

The Australian Aboriginals lived isolated for 50 thousand years and knew nothing about god or any other structured religion, to them it was the land that sustained them, which was sacred. They were the least violent culture we know of and lived a very structured, moral and peaceful existence. They had control over there own fate without any interference from religion (as we know it today) or god and did just fine. Until of course the missionaries came in and told them there way of life that they had lived peacefully for 50 thousand years was evil and forced them to worship our god and punished them for partaking in the traditions of there own culture. They were regularly shot like dogs, so christian settlers could steal there land and farm it. These settlers used there religion as justification to carry out these acts.

You should see how that turned out for them. Living in the most isolated parts of Australia in 3rd world conditions in a country that has one of the highest quality of living standards in the world. A large majority of them are christian too FYI. How do they fit into the picture of your delusional little utopia of god being the answer to everything?

edit on 14-9-2014 by Subaeruginosa because: (no reason given)

edit on 14-9-2014 by Subaeruginosa because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 04:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero

With no right or wrong then there is nothing one could do to go to jail, well unless someone else decided they would like to put people in jail. When we go back to the dark ages we see how humans handle situations where humans could be put in the position to have power over others.

The idea of god has nothing to do with right or wrong. Nor does freewill eliminate humans basic instinct of what is right or wrong. If anything God is used as an excuse to justify carrying out evil acts. btw, you do realise that satan doesn't even exist in any of the ancient scriptures don't you? A single entity that represents evil is purely an invention of modern day Christianity.

That's the saddest thing I have taken from this thread. I despise religion, yet in truth I know far more about the concept than most of the people who have posted here. If you took the time to actually research the issue, rather than just excepting what your pastor says, you would discover for yourselves how flawed the whole thing actually is.

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 04:34 PM
link   

a reply to: Xtrozero

Another conclusion is that they understand mans actions are answerable to higher authority.....same thing you believe if you believe jail to be an acceptable consequence for actions. Apparently you hold that the law is an acceptable governor or at least an acceptable result of behavior which still requires answering to higher authority than your self.

You really cant claim a total freedom philosophy for yourself and hold jail as an option for others without some sort of "I" and "Me".....Meads "generalized other". Which really in a ruff frame is all that Christians, the sort you have mentioned above, believe. Even your "total freedom" idea must fall under the heading of "lacking intelligence to make rational decisions on your own" if you are going to insist that governing actions out of fear of higher authority, principle or social norms of some kind is a odd motivator.

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 04:35 PM
link   

As humans we have a sinful nature, this is why you might think that Satan represents those things which are good in your eyes. Satan wants to spread knowledge because he knows that we have a tendency to misuse it for evil over that which is good, due to our sinful nature. God knows this too, that's why he wants to limit it. By the way, knowledge doesn't always lead to truth. As humans, we error in recognizing what's true and what's not. That's why we should leave it to God and have faith that he will decipher it for us. He's the only one filled with light and truth. God is the only one who can save us from ourselves. We can't save each other and we'll never be equal to God, which is what Satan wants us to believe. Thousands of years of human existence has already proven this to be true if people truly take the time to reflect on our mistakes and human history. That's what we were put on this earth to learn.

Rubbish. You can't cite an iota of testable evidence proving that your God or your Satan exist. This is what you, personally,have chosen to believe for your own reasons. Do not speak for other humans. It only embarrasses you.

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Hitler only thought he was religious and chosen for a higher purpose by a higher power, just like you thought you were a passionate Christian clear up until your twenties.

And what do you THINK you are?

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 04:42 PM
link   

The Australian Aboriginals lived isolated for 50 thousand years and knew nothing about god or any other structured religion, to them it was the land that sustained them, which was sacred. They were the least violent culture we know of and lived a very structured, moral and peaceful existence.

How would anyone know that they didn't have a religion? How would anyone know how moral or peaceful they were 50,000 years ago? They don't. They can only speculate. Since you seem to believe everything you hear/read regarding science and history, maybe you need to ask yourself why the scientific history of humans is so short compared to their assumption that the earth is billions of years old?

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 04:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Specimen
a reply to: Tangerine

Idk, but for a religion that based off agriculture, and live stock. It almost fits about right.

The point I was making is that it's spelled shepHERD not sheppard. They do not ard sheep they herd sheep.

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 04:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: ladyinwaiting
Just so you'll know, Christians don't believe in hexes, nor do they put "hexes" on people. I believe you are thinking about voo-doo.

Also, Christians who are in mainstream Christianity do not speak in "tongues". I think there is a small faction of churches who do this.

Actually, I've been told by two fundamentalist Christians that they prayed for someone to have an accident so they would "realize the error of their ways and come back to Christ." That's a hex. One of those Christians said her fellowship group said such a prayer for someone who had dropped out of the group.The other Christian told me he prayed that an individual would have an accident.

The fact that the majority of Christians are not extremists does not in any way change the fact that some (and it's not a small number) of Christians are.

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 04:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Utnapisjtim

originally posted by: Tangerine

originally posted by: Utnapisjtim
a reply to: trollz

Indeed, and there's more, since you mentioned the word church. The word used by Jesus, ..."

Jesus didn't write the Bible. The words in the Bible attributed to Jesus were written multiple generations after Jesus allegedly lived by people who never heard Jesus say a word. In fact, there's not an iota of contemporaneous documentation (ie. historical evidence) proving that Jesus ever lived.

Fair enough, but that's a whole different discussion.

It's not a different discussion when you claim that Jesus wrote or said something. By doing so, you brought it into the discussion.

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 04:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero

With no right or wrong then there is nothing one could do to go to jail, well unless someone else decided they would like to put people in jail. When we go back to the dark ages we see how humans handle situations where humans could be put in the position to have power over others.

The idea of god has nothing to do with right or wrong. Nor does freewill eliminate humans basic instinct of what is right or wrong. If anything God is used as an excuse to justify carrying out evil acts. btw, you do realise that satan doesn't even exist in any of the ancient scriptures don't you? A single entity that represents evil is purely an invention of modern day Christianity.

That's the saddest thing I have taken from this thread. I despise religion, yet in truth I know far more about the concept than most of the people who have posted here. If you took the time to actually research the issue, rather than just excepting what your pastor says, you would discover for yourselves how flawed the whole thing actually is.

Your entire post here is the work satan. Higher knowledge in self, freewill has guidance mechanisms, god is morally androgynous, satan was invented ect. Not preaching just saying in a classical since of focus on the fruit, pushing god out of the picture...ect.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join