It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Christians put a Hex on me?

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 06:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lostmymarbles
a reply to: Subaeruginosa

What is a Christian or whom do you consider to be Christian?

We might be thinking completely different things for the word "Christian".

A Christian is anyone who uses the bible as the basis of there beliefs. It does not matter if Protestants think there more righteous than Catholics, or if the seven day Adventists think there superior to other denominations because they recognize the Sabbath on the correct day. They are simply different denominations of the same religion.

Actually, technically speaking all Abrahamic religions are just different interpretations of one idea of a mythological god.

In past times it was believed common man was unable to interact with their gods on a personal level and had to either do it though a temple, monument or an elite member of there community. Unfortunately for the Jewish people they were just a nomadic desert community, who had no temples & monuments, or recognized elite like other cultures at that time. So they came up with the idea of a single god who they could interact with on an individual basis, there was no temple or priest required. This idea obviously appealed to ancient man and flourished throughout civilization to become what we know today as the Abrahamic religions.

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 07:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Logarock

originally posted by: Subaeruginosa
a reply to: NavyDoc

I agree. In fact I would go further and say basing a whole belief system on some film footage is completely irrational. But looking beyond the bible and MSM when you suspect ulterior motives by TPTB is just common sense, imo.

So you were able to go from completely irrational.......to common sense. Like tilting a pinball machine over an american solider draping a flag over bozo's bronze narcissi. And figured out the ulterior motives of TPTB at the same moment, right there in that context. And your not in a self developed la la land.

No I was able to go from trying to rationalize the irrational, to rationalizing the rational. But if you have any real interest in making a rational argument for your beliefs, then why not make an argument that shows religion as a logical conclusion of reality and the scientific method as a "self developed la la land" as you so intelligently refer to it.

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 07:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: StalkerSolent

a reply to: graceunderpressure

The Sun shines on me everyday. It has a physical presence and its existence is undeniable. God is not.

You're assuming your senses can be trusted. If I happen to doubt my senses, I can, in fact, doubt that the sun exists.
This argument has been around for some time. It sounds really stupid, but if you think about it, you can't really prove you can trust your senses. Then you get to looking at cool stuff like this: en.wikipedia.org...

Well for me to even start to take your argument seriously, you would need to provide evidence that our 5 senses are in fact not the driving forces of how we interact with our physical universe and that simply having faith is.

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Well for me to even start to take your argument seriously, you would need to provide evidence that our 5 senses are in fact not the driving forces of how we interact with our physical universe and that simply having faith is.

The driving force of how we interact with our universe probably varies from person to person, wouldn't you say?
Now, down to the fun stuff. Skepticism isn't particularly *my* argument. However, I can play devil's advocate, and I'd start out by pointing out that you presuppose a physical universe exists, when, in fact, such a thing might not be the case.

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 08:03 PM
link   
a reply to: StalkerSolent

Our perception of what is undeniably varies from person to person. But that's simply just a very strong argument to faith being flawed and the scientific method being the only reliable path to truth.

Your argument to us living in a simulation is a very interesting thought experiment, but at the same time it's a true fallacy. There is no logic in saying "we'll it could all just be a simulation anyway", since we are in fact here and there are driving physical forces which define our existence, whether its a simulation or not.

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 08:13 PM
link   

Our perception of what is undeniably varies from person to person. But that's simply just a very strong argument to faith being flawed and the scientific method being the only reliable path to truth.

Your argument to us living in a simulation is a very interesting thought experiment, but at the same time it's a true fallacy. There is no logic in saying "we'll it could all just be a simulation anyway", since we are in fact here and there are driving physical forces which define our existence, whether its a simulation or not.

Again, I can't take credit for these arguments, and I'm actually not arguing for the Simulation Hypothesis here. I'm arguing skepticism, which has a very old and respectable philosophical tradition.
(Puts Devil's Advocate's hat back on.)

You claim that we are in fact here and there are "driving physical forces which define our existence." Got any evidence to support that claim?

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 11:44 PM
link   
Haha...if you say so bud..You're the big brain here..Please share your scientific credentials....
I only see judging come from one end of this conversation...I find it funny that an obvious non christian is telling me I'm the judgemental, insignificant one....Pot..meet kettle....Someone who can't even spell Centauri telling me whats what...Those without the eyes to see or the ears to ear...You clearly know nothing of nothing..so please don't try to tell me what I have done, know, or tried to do because you clearly know nothing of me....

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 04:27 AM
link   

I agree. In fact I would go further and say basing a whole belief system on some film footage is completely irrational. But looking beyond the bible and MSM when you suspect ulterior motives by TPTB is just common sense, imo.

So you were able to go from completely irrational.......to common sense. Like tilting a pinball machine over an american solider draping a flag over bozo's bronze narcissi. And figured out the ulterior motives of TPTB at the same moment, right there in that context. And your not in a self developed la la land.

No I was able to go from trying to rationalize the irrational, to rationalizing the rational. But if you have any real interest in making a rational argument for your beliefs, then why not make an argument that shows religion as a logical conclusion of reality and the scientific method as a "self developed la la land" as you so intelligently refer to it.

Well I wouldn't call the scientific method a la la land but then you are not really operating from the scientific method. Its not visible in this entire thread that you have made a rational argument about anything.

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 04:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: Lostmymarbles
a reply to: Subaeruginosa

What is a Christian or whom do you consider to be Christian?

We might be thinking completely different things for the word "Christian".

A Christian is anyone who uses the bible as the basis of there beliefs. It does not matter if Protestants think there more righteous than Catholics, or if the seven day Adventists think there superior to other denominations because they recognize the Sabbath on the correct day. They are simply different denominations of the same religion.

Actually, technically speaking all Abrahamic religions are just different interpretations of one idea of a mythological god.

In past times it was believed common man was unable to interact with their gods on a personal level and had to either do it though a temple, monument or an elite member of there community. Unfortunately for the Jewish people they were just a nomadic desert community, who had no temples & monuments, or recognized elite like other cultures at that time. So they came up with the idea of a single god who they could interact with on an individual basis, there was no temple or priest required. This idea obviously appealed to ancient man and flourished throughout civilization to become what we know today as the Abrahamic religions.

Now thats original....the old Abrahamic religion low information tag. Not to mention the pejorative "nomadic desert" people stuff. And Jewish....got to toss that in there. Now that the basic foundation of your criticism has been exposed as what must be the very scientific bigotry method lets see what else you got wrong.

How about Abraham wasn't a Jew really and the Hebrews did have priests and a temple.

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 05:11 AM
link   

You seem to have gone from true believer of one system to true believer of another system. You've listened to fundamentalist Christians cling tooth and nail to their beliefs and terrified of anything else. You've left that behind and are clinging tooth and nail to another system and terrified of anything else. The same degree of desperation remains. Let go of the desperation.

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 10:24 AM
link   
A Christian is anyone that uses the Bible as a basis for their belief. What about people like myself that didn't have belief until they had an experience.

From what I've seen most of these modern denominations like Jehovah's Witness, Mormons, hardly bring up the subject of Jesus.

Here it is straight from his mouth.

Matthew 7:23
Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?

And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

Now on to the speaking of tounges in the way the Bible refers to it I believe it means the languages of the earth, this does not mean gobbledygook jibberish from outside the bounds of Pluto.

Let me tell you a story from a fellow Christian I know him as Tony.

Years ago he was visting a friend that was missioning in Africa, this was during the evening time they decided they wanted to go to one of the local churches in the area, one of the nearest ones happened to be a Pentecostal.

They went and took their seats inside and he said everyone for the most part was quiet and reading whatever material they were trying to decipher, but every once and awhile someone would stand up or excitedly leap from their seat and say something like I"ve got it! it in whatever the local language was and recite the answer they were given supposedly getting from the divine inspiration, so some guy stands up and starts speaking,

Tony told me that literally he could see his friend turn white, and said we have to get out of here now, he said they guy that just stood up blasphemed cursed the Lord in several different languages. His friend knew one of the local dialects in that area.

And if you believe and Jesus and accept the gift of salvation no none and nothing can put a hex on you. Its impossible because your covered in the blood. Your a new creature not fashioned by the ways of the world.

edit on 17-9-2014 by EnigmaticDill because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 10:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: wyrmboy12
Haha...if you say so bud..You're the big brain here..Please share your scientific credentials....
I only see judging come from one end of this conversation...I find it funny that an obvious non christian is telling me I'm the judgemental, insignificant one....Pot..meet kettle....Someone who can't even spell Centauri telling me whats what...Those without the eyes to see or the ears to ear...You clearly know nothing of nothing..so please don't try to tell me what I have done, know, or tried to do because you clearly know nothing of me....

Is that seriously your entire argument? I’m a non-christian who misspelled Centauri, so there for I must be blind, deaf and feeble minded. I've never tried to claim or even insinuate I have any kind scientific credentials (lol, as if your mind would be more open if I did), or even any higher education whatsoever. At the end of the day I’m just someone on the Internet looking for a logical conclusion.

Anyway, all I really see in your reply is a resentful and bitter opinion, which is just fine. Since let the man who hasn't sinned cast the first stone, right? But it also just validates my skepticism that you’re even convinced of your beliefs, or that it leads to any kind of higher peace or meaning in life.

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Well I wouldn't call the scientific method a la la land but then you are not really operating from the scientific method. Its not visible in this entire thread that you have made a rational argument about anything.

I don’t understand, are you saying the scientific method is or isn't a rational argument to establishing a ‘rational’ perspective of what is fact or fantasy?

Now thats original....the old Abrahamic religion low information tag. Not to mention the pejorative "nomadic desert" people stuff. And Jewish....got to toss that in there. Now that the basic foundation of your criticism has been exposed as what must be the very scientific bigotry method lets see what else you got wrong.

How about Abraham wasn't a Jew really and the Hebrews did have priests and a temple.

Well why not educate me then. Instead of just falling on the cliché of accusing me of being anti-semitic, show me the evidence, which isn't just quoting religious text that proves me wrong? It’s not a fundamental hardcore belief for me, I'm more than happy to be proven wrong.

edit on 17-9-2014 by Subaeruginosa because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 10:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: Tangerine

You seem to have gone from true believer of one system to true believer of another system. You've listened to fundamentalist Christians cling tooth and nail to their beliefs and terrified of anything else. You've left that behind and are clinging tooth and nail to another system and terrified of anything else. The same degree of desperation remains. Let go of the desperation.

I don’t have any belief system, I’m against belief systems in all there forms to be honest. From religion & patriotism to two party politics & supporting sporting teams. That’s the reason I come here, I love looking into all kinds of beliefs, but without any physical evidence, it is simply a recreational thought experiment.

You don’t need a belief system to recognize humans will inhabit space one day and are prolonging life with each generation. A feat only possible by the gods in the past, but merely enough accumulated knowledge combined with some dedicated manpower to us today.

To say I’m terrified of the thought of living for all eternity in perfect harmony is very short sighted indeed. Who wouldn’t want that? But the physical evidence for it simply just does not exist and this false hope is hold us back from saving ourselves.

edit on 17-9-2014 by Subaeruginosa because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 10:47 AM
link   
But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear:

Having a good conscience; that, whereas they speak evil of you, as of evildoers, they may be ashamed that falsely accuse your good conversation in Christ.

For it is better, if the will of God be so, that ye suffer for well doing, than for evil doing.

For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit:

For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe.

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 10:58 AM
link   
a reply to: EnigmaticDill

Yes I'v heard the urban myth of the African man who could translate the gibberish of someone talking in tongues. It seems many believers have a "friend" who swears by it, lol.

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 11:01 AM
link   
If we receive the witness of men, the witness of God is greater: for this is the witness of God which he hath testified of his Son. He that believeth on the Son of God hath the witness in himself: he that believeth not God hath made him a liar; because he believeth not the record that God gave of his Son. And this is the record, that God hath given to us eternal life, and this life is in his Son. He that hath the Son hath life; and he that hath not the Son of God hath not life.

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 05:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: EnigmaticDill
A Christian is anyone that uses the Bible as a basis for their belief. What about people like myself that didn't have belief until they had an experience.

From what I've seen most of these modern denominations like Jehovah's Witness, Mormons, hardly bring up the subject of Jesus.

Here it is straight from his mouth.

Matthew 7:23
Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?

And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

Now on to the speaking of tounges in the way the Bible refers to it I believe it means the languages of the earth, this does not mean gobbledygook jibberish from outside the bounds of Pluto.

Let me tell you a story from a fellow Christian I know him as Tony.

Years ago he was visting a friend that was missioning in Africa, this was during the evening time they decided they wanted to go to one of the local churches in the area, one of the nearest ones happened to be a Pentecostal.

They went and took their seats inside and he said everyone for the most part was quiet and reading whatever material they were trying to decipher, but every once and awhile someone would stand up or excitedly leap from their seat and say something like I"ve got it! it in whatever the local language was and recite the answer they were given supposedly getting from the divine inspiration, so some guy stands up and starts speaking,

Tony told me that literally he could see his friend turn white, and said we have to get out of here now, he said they guy that just stood up blasphemed cursed the Lord in several different languages. His friend knew one of the local dialects in that area.

And if you believe and Jesus and accept the gift of salvation no none and nothing can put a hex on you. Its impossible because your covered in the blood. Your a new creature not fashioned by the ways of the world.

Proselytizing is such a bore and is not the topic of this thread. You convince no one.

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 05:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: [post=18425309]Logarock

Well why not educate me then. Instead of just falling on the cliché of accusing me of being anti-semitic, show me the evidence, which isn't just quoting religious text that proves me wrong? It’s not a fundamental hardcore belief for me, I'm more than happy to be proven wrong.

Rather, that you brought it up, demonstrate how being "desert people" has anything to do with anything.

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 05:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tangerine

I don’t have any belief system, I’m against belief systems in all there forms to be honest. From religion & patriotism to two party politics & supporting sporting teams. That’s the reason I come here, I love looking into all kinds of beliefs, but without any physical evidence, it is simply a recreational thought experiment.

You don’t need a belief system to recognize humans will inhabit space one day and are prolonging life with each generation. A feat only possible by the gods in the past, but merely enough accumulated knowledge combined with some dedicated manpower to us today.

To say I’m terrified of the thought of living for all eternity in perfect harmony is very short sighted indeed. Who wouldn’t want that? But the physical evidence for it simply just does not exist and this false hope is hold us back from saving ourselves.

Reread my post. Actually, you do need belief to believe that humans will inhabit space one day. If it hasn't already happened, it requires belief, whether based on religion or science or something else. I do understand that science is based on testable evidence but the future has not yet been tested.

I never said you're "terrified of the thought of living for all eternity in perfect harmony". That notion came from your head not mine and not from my keyboard.

Your desperation to separate yourself from Christianity and attach yourself to science reeks from every post. Don't treat science like you once, as a child, treated religion.

When you're truly emotionally separate from Christianity you will simply let go and the desperation will vanish. I am not suggesting that you don't stand up to proselytizing Christians and call them on their bull. But, at this point, you're beating a dead horse. Your parents wronged you. You can't undo that. Let go and move on--for your own sake.

Banish your own hex.
edit on 17-9-2014 by Tangerine because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13 >>

join