It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An article on "Left Behind" for Christians.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 08:50 AM
link   
Patheos Left-Behind Article

When I was raised Lutheran, I always was troubled by the end of days type of Christian. If God so loved this world, then there must be value in it and we should do our best to invest whatever we can into making it a wonderful place to live. I no longer have a moral leg to stand on in a criticism of Christian practices, but I thought this article was interesting and echoed with the thoughts of my youth. If anyone has anything to discuss on this issue, feel free to. I don't know how much I'll ultimately have to contribute to such a thread as this.
edit on 13-9-2014 by Nechash because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 09:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Nechash

Is it some type of rapture movie or something? BTW, love the avatar lol
edit on 13-9-2014 by DarknStormy because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 09:17 AM
link   

I no longer have a moral leg to stand on in a criticism of Christian practices, but I thought this article was interesting and echoed with the thoughts of my youth.

What does that mean? You used to be critical, but now you're not? You're promoting the "Left Behind" premise and the movie?

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 09:17 AM
link   
a reply to: DarknStormy

Exactly. It is an artistic vision of what the rapture and book of revelation might look like if interpreted almost literally. It has led many more Christians to accept the idea of a rapture and the subsequent doom for the rest of the world and it seems to be leading towards a very fatalistic attitude among otherwise good people.

I love that gif. It is pure unadulterated joy mixed with political commentary. Every time I see it, it makes me laugh, so far at least.

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 09:19 AM
link   
a reply to: windword

I used to be Christian, and now I'm not. Any criticism I have is largely irrelevant to the Christian community because I'm an outsider. I don't promote the left-behind series. It is an interesting work of fiction, but its merits are not great enough to hold up on their own. It is a gimmick and it sells.

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Yeah I think it will be garbage.. It is obvious you cannot take the Book of Revelation literally and why someone would waste their time doing it has me stumped. Hey, maybe it will sucker in a few morons though

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 09:34 AM
link   
If you say earth as an apartment complex that god owns where he can put souls on different levels I can think of three different scenarios.

1. God has a lot of souls that are bad renters that destroy the apartments when they live in them so god do not bother with improving the apartments since the souls are always destroying the improvements any way. This is the lets use earth as a hell dimension for the ones who just do not get it.

2. God have two many souls who needs apartments so even the ones who are neutral in their behavior are sent to earth. This is the earth remain the same for now because there are a shortage of apartments.

3. God are trying to teach people to be the fixer upper that can help out with the apartments so the apartments work on all levels. Earth is seen as a work in progress that need some fixing but the potential is great.

From a perspective there seem to be a lot of bad renters on earth right now and fixing up the place while the break what you fix seems a bit pointless and a waste of time. First awareness need so that the fixers can work without the bad renters being in the way.

So if there is a left behind scenario where god cares about earth then there will probably be 3 groups. 2 groups of both good and bad renters who are removed and given other apartments and a third group who stay behind to clean up the mess and be the fixer upper for a while to get things balanced again.
edit on 13-9-2014 by LittleByLittle because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 09:50 AM
link   
a reply to: LittleByLittle

In the 15th century, the hatred of freeloaders made sense, because a person barely produced enough in a day for them to survive, let alone for them to survive and afford their land rents. Today; however, a single individual by their own efforts can support hundreds of freeloaders. The fact that entry level workers are struggling to make ends meets shows on a verifiable level just how much the land lords are demanding in rent from their peasants today.

Could you imagine if we had the same arrangement with the rulers of the world that we had in the 15th century, how much better things could be? We pay half of our production to the landlord and get to keep the other half for ourselves. With that simple arrangement, most of us would be millionaires. Look at a simple caulking factory with 50 employees. They are bringing in $15 million annually. If the workers got half of that, that'd be $150,000 per worker, and these are people who presently earn $8 an hour.

How many freeloaders at home could a peasant afford to support off an income of $150k per year?

It isn't the apartment that needs fixing up, it is our humanity. Not every person has to contribute in the world in the same way. Some of us enhance the world by producing food. Others enhance the world by giving us a reason to keep on producing. Production for production's sake is a world already living in decay.

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 10:17 AM
link   
One thing I can guarantee when it comes to eschatology, every one who has died has not had to worry about the book of revelations final battle.
Truth is most will possibly die before Christ's return, so getting your life right now is more important than getting revelations right

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Christian or not, there comes a day when the moment comes and you are translated back to Heaven. The Rapture is indeterminate by you. All of us will be caught up in a moment. Why do I say Christian or not? Faith is the key to salvation. That's it. It has nothing to do with you. It's a gift and faith will come to everyone. If water fails to bring it, fire burns only one direction.

The question is, "Was God faithful?" Yes. Although I am saying this in the past before it happens. Of course God is faithful to save the last sheep. If not, then he failed in his work. It's not an attempt. It's His only job. If you fail, God has failed you. That won't happen. He never quits or He is not God. Love keeps no records of wrongs (1 Cor. 13). God is Love (1 John4:8).

edit on 13-9-2014 by AlephBet because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 10:41 AM
link   
a reply to: AlephBet

This one Christian I knew believed that when Jesus descended into hell, he stepped outside of time and spent all of eternity convincing each and every last person there to accept his salvation: from those born before the time of Noah to the last heathen to perish in the end of days. His belief was that when Christ sacrificed himself, he literally saved everyone and thus Christianity is not so much about conversion as it is about celebration. I like that Christology. Too bad it isn't more popular.

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Left Behind is the typical pre-tribulation rapture view, and it is not Biblical at all. There is a rapture coming in the future, and it is not implied in the Bible, it is very clear. The word rapture is not in the Bible, but the idea of being "caught up" is, which is what the word rapture means. The word rapture is from the Latin Vulgate. There is an event clearly seen in Revelation 7:9 where believers are taken from the Earth before God pours His wrath out on the unbelieving world... this is the rapture.

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 11:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: Nechash
a reply to: AlephBet

This one Christian I knew believed that when Jesus descended into hell, he stepped outside of time and spent all of eternity convincing each and every last person there to accept his salvation: from those born before the time of Noah to the last heathen to perish in the end of days. His belief was that when Christ sacrificed himself, he literally saved everyone and thus Christianity is not so much about conversion as it is about celebration. I like that Christology. Too bad it isn't more popular.

Reality is a replay. It has already been viewed by God when he said, "It is Good." It's an image. We are placed in an image God has seen. Water baptism is involution as a person into the story.

1 Peter 3

19 After being made alive, he went and made proclamation to the imprisoned spirits— 20 to those who were disobedient long ago when God waited patiently in the days of Noah while the ark was being built. In it only a few people, eight in all, were saved through water, 21 and this water symbolizes baptism that now saves you also—not the removal of dirt from the body but the pledge of a clear conscience toward God. It saves you by the resurrection of Jesus Christ, 22 who has gone into heaven and is at God’s right hand—with angels, authorities and powers in submission to him.

Baptism saves YOU! When you view the image, you view God's face. You are the image. Creation has the purpose of showing you the image of God against that of your own.

Time is a division of eternity, where God, the Mother and the Son started. Elohim (Trinity) engaged paradise in Genesis 1 first, then split the image off in Genesis 2 as the Adam and Eve Garden with restrictions to the fruit. There were no restrictions in Genesis 1 (Eternity).

Go back to the Dweller on the Threshold: Dweller (Angel and Child)

It's all truth. The version you are stating from your friend is simply another way to put a slice of time into the story of eternity. You must be born again. Nothing says that you must be born into the arrow of time. It's an image. You can land anywhere I would assume.

edit on 13-9-2014 by AlephBet because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 03:18 PM
link   
The idea of the pre-Trib Rapture if it occurs would seem to me to serve two functions:

1.) It removes the believers from the earth before the Day of the Lord. They will not need to see God's power and wrath to be brought to belief having had it all along.
2.) It ushers in a time when the workings of the Lord will be clear, and no one left will be able to deny the Hand of God at work. For those agnostics and atheists who constantly say they need proof in order to believe, this would be that time. They would see both the hand of God and the direct work of the opposition, and they would have to make their final decision about how to choose.

And then Christ will return and even the Jews who denied Him the first time will see and believe in the Messiah, so everyone at that point who can be saved, who can have faith, will have it. No one will be able to deny that there is God, that there is Christ. The only question will be if they choose to serve Him or not.

Now, will there be a Rapture? I don't know. We might all see God's work right up until Christ returns, but even so, my faith is with Him, and it will be what it is.

And do I think it will be Left Behind style? Nah. No more than I think it will necessarily be like this:

edit on 13-9-2014 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Lol. Hollywood coming to mainstream Christianities rescue. First Noah, and now Left Behind?

The Irony.

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 05:12 PM
link   

They don't want solutions dear. They want a hateful Messiah, that agrees with them, and only them, in order to justify hating and oppressing others.

Oh, and one who judges all of those whom disagreed with them, using the same stick of hatred.

They look for a rapture, when they should be checking the prerequisites.
edit on 13-9-2014 by Not Authorized because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 06:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Not Authorized

Lol. Hollywood coming to mainstream Christianities rescue. First Noah, and now Left Behind?

The Irony.

No thats not accurate.

Mainstream Christianity does not accept Gnosticism, Gnosticism is a small branch of Christianity labelled a heresy by many in the church. I have been told the Noah movie was a vehicle to promote Gnosticism.

Left Behind at best is a dubious money spinner that has mediocre theological support and is only loosely based on a biblical understanding.

Christianity is based on repentance brought out by a sincere love for Jesus and a turning away from sin.
I would hesitate a guess that neither movie addresses the main concepts of Christianity.

Still I havnt seen either so its just a best guess.

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 06:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Not Authorized

They don't want solutions dear. They want a hateful Messiah, that agrees with them, and only them, in order to justify hating and oppressing others.

Oh, and one who judges all of those whom disagreed with them, using the same stick of hatred.

They look for a rapture, when they should be checking the prerequisites.

Its a sad indication of the Christian church, I agree.
We get so intense about some of the issues we see, we as Christians forget to concentrate on the "works" required to love the world as Jesus did.

Your point is moot, sadly because your voice is so small in a world full of noise.

I agree with what you say, lets concentrate on serving, not worrying about Gods plan

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 07:02 PM
link   

See why I have contempt now? It's right in front of them, and still, they refuse to listen.

They reject the truth, to stay within their illusion of lies. Believing ones, told over and over again by successive generation. Those generations that added small pieces to the lie. Every reason, and any reason, is used as an excuse to ignore the Christ's supreme law. Because it's a "Gnostic" view, or because my voice is too small (I loled, if he knew), or they think they are doing Christ's "work", or anything other than this fact:

They failed the great commission, and replaced it with evil. They even boast of it.

If they loved the light, they would act and be like the light.

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 04:43 PM
link   

His belief was that when Christ sacrificed himself, he literally saved everyone and thus Christianity is not so much about conversion as it is about celebration.

that's pretty much the way I read it

But this man, after he had offered one sacrifice for sins for ever, sat down on the right hand of God;
From henceforth expecting till his enemies be made his footstool. Hebrews10

For therefore we both labour and suffer reproach, because we trust in the living God, who is the Saviour of all men, specially of those that believe. 1Timothy

1 Timothy 1 Now unto the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only wise God, be honour and glory for ever and ever. Amen.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join