It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How did Curiosity Rover take a selfie??

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 03:37 AM
link   

Cool picture taken recently by Rover and released to the media to celebrate its arrival at Mount Sharp on Mars. But as other have queried just how was it possible for the Rover to have taken this picture of itself? Or am I missing something here...

Peace and love!

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 03:40 AM
link   
The Galactic Federation of Light took it...

They'll bring the whole rover back with them when they come to rescue us from this hell hole. Cause that's how they roll... And junk.

I've no idea how they took it, but I'm sure someone will be able to tell us very shortly.
edit on 9/13/2014 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 03:40 AM
link   
Good to see that it has arrived at it's intended destination...Havn't got a clue about how it took the selfie though.

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 03:41 AM
link   
Drone...

It's the answer to all paranormal questions now...lol

That is weird though..if it was a remote camera it stuck in the ground on a stick,...then how come we haven't seen this before?...

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 03:41 AM
link   
a reply to: kuraijanai2013

They took a couple of dozen images and put them together into one image. They were all taken with the arm bent at the "elbow" so that it didn't appear in the picture.

www.huffingtonpost.com...

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 03:42 AM
link   
According to the article in the Daily Mail (UK) the image came from the picture was produced by "stitching" together other images taken, but I still don't see how this would be possible given the image shown...

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 03:46 AM
link   

They did it the same way that people do it. Bent the arm to keep it out of the shot. Then they stitched images together that didn't show the arm, so it appears that the arm isn't there.
edit on 9/13/2014 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 05:04 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

So in other words its a fake. Stitching together photos so as to hide the arm.

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 05:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: ZeussusZ

lol that made me giggle...yep you nailed it....

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 05:18 AM
link   
Been covered many times on ATS and in media articles, but I'm happy to share the info once more:

These "selfies" are taken using a camera on the end of the rover's robotic arm. The arm has several joints (like our arms have shoulders, elbows, and wrists), so the arm was bent out of the camera's way. The camera took many images of different parts of the rover, and only in two of them part of the arm attached to the"shoulder" joint is visible:
mars.nasa.gov...
mars.nasa.gov...

JPL even created an animation of how the rover took this mosaic of images: www.youtube.com...

In fact, anyone can use the original images and stitch them together into a "selfie" using a panorama-creating software. Here's one I made myself: photosynth.net...

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 05:22 AM
link   

Deleted. Martian sand in the machine.
edit on 13-9-2014 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 05:30 AM
link   

No, it's not a fake, it's a composite.

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 05:42 AM
link   

Actually, the software that does the stitching erases the arm automatically, no evil plotting required. I've seen this myself when I assembled the "self-portrait" in Microsoft ICE: you load the individual images, the software stitches them together automatically, and the arm is gone. I recon it does that because in the two images where part of the arm appears, it's pointing in different directions, while the rest of the image (the ground and the rover) remain the same. So the software replaces the varying parts of the image (the arm) with the constant parts of the image (the terrain).

Here's an old thread of mine explaining how the selfie was taken: www.abovetopsecret.com...

Here are parts of the mosais where part of the arm is visible:

And here's the result of automatic stitching:

The images come from an earlier selfie, which I created myself from the individual images: photosynth.net...
edit on 13-9-2014 by wildespace because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Every smaller picture that was used to stitch together that mosaic is real, but they took so many overlapping images -- and taken at so many different angles -- that they could overlap them in such a way that the camera arm is not seen.

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 03:44 PM
link   
I challenge anyone to take a selfie, made up of many individual images, with a handheld camera, and have their arm showing in the resulting mosaic.

top topics

join