It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

In a survival situation stay away from Possum Poo even while cleaning for your pot of stew...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 02:38 AM
link   
Armadillos supposedly carry leprosy yet I have actually handled a few of those critters and still have all my skin...
I have eaten many things which today is referred to as "BUSH MEAT" or road kill (hahahah) however other than a movie with Willie Nelson several years back I can not remember anyone who ate possum ? Is their a Cajun in the house ?

Possum faeces contains bacteria that could cause flesh-eating ulcers in humans, scientists have warned.
The buruli ulcer is described by the World Health Organisation (WHO) as being a “chronic debilitating skin and soft tissue infection that can lead to permanent disfigurement and disability”.

www.independent.co.uk... -9724273.html

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 02:43 AM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

Yikes! I had a Possum pie at www.pukekura.co.nz... in NZ. Luckily that was 10 years ago so hopefully I'm ok!

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 04:41 AM
link   

I grew up eating Opossum, along with Ground Hog, Racoon, Squirrels, Deer, Bear, Black Birds and about anything else we could catch and cook.. Just what you did growing up in West Virginia..

No harmful effects at all..

(I even have my own teeth)

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 04:47 AM
link   
a reply to: semperfortis

No harmful effects at all.. (I even have my own teeth)

pics or it didnt happen

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 05:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: semperfortis

I grew up eating Opossum, along with Ground Hog, Racoon, Squirrels, Deer, Bear, Black Birds and about anything else we could catch and cook.. Just what you did growing up in West Virginia..

The question is not if the teeth are yours, it's how many are left!

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 06:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: AgentSmith

Yikes! I had a Possum pie at www.pukekura.co.nz... in NZ. Luckily that was 10 years ago so hopefully I'm ok!
The possum you had in NZ was the Australian marsupial possum, totally different animal. It has become a noxious pest over there. I havent heard of anyone eating them here, but I bet they are tasty. The local aborigines used to make possum skin cloaks out of them, very stylish and warm. It would take a few dozen to make a cloak and I bet they didnt throw the meat away and I bet it is tasty for them to have bothered with them.

PS I thought armadillo was the source for leprosy vaccine, is that because it carries it and is immune to it?

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 06:26 AM
link   

Legend!

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 07:20 AM
link   

Let me guess it taste like rabbit or snake ? Oily and stringy like snake or have I missed out on a true delicacy without the poop ?

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 07:54 AM
link   

It has a very unique flavor actually.. Very fatty which translates to greasy if not cooked proper..

Granny always baked it with potatoes and carrots..

Not too stringy or tough as a matter of fact

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 10:24 AM
link   
a reply to: semperfortis
Well I have my own teeth and so do most people that I've ever known in my 43 years on earth....but ANYWAYS

I've ate most everything out there except for possum. I don't know very many people who will eat it. I bet they would if times got hard, me too, but certainly not when there's a choice.

I used to run up to them and grab them by the tail and chase people around with them anytime I came across one. I had one coming around last year but the neighbors dog ran him off. Right now, it's bears and 'coons.

But yeah, it's great advice, OP. I consider most wild animals' feces dangerous. The only poop that is considered holy amongst young men is cow poop. We used to get into some horrendous cow-patty fights back in tha day. I was explaining this to my 5year old son and he just looooked at me....LOL

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 02:39 AM
link   
Even while cleaning for your pot of stew? Well THATS odd... I always thought possum feces was excellent for cleaning out pots and pans. Its been a family tradition going back generations in my family! I thought everybody knew about it. Of course, raccoon poo, preferably from a rabid coon, is always best for your glassware. The possum poo will leave streaks.

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Have never actually eaten possum, but have been around them all my life........my Grandad would catch them in his rabbit boxes, put them in a cage and fatten them up with cornbread and buttermilk. We made pets of the little ones...(as much as one can with the crazy varmints .......while avoiding the teeth!)

As much as he would try , my Grandmother would not 'allow' one in her kitchen, tho..........so when Grandad had fed them enough to 'get them cleaned out' and nicely plumped up, he would sell them to the locals who could get their wives to cook them!

new topics

top topics

join