It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vikings star Adrian Peterson indicted on felony charge of injury to a child

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 11:53 PM
link   
Thought I'd post this as this should be pretty interesting what Goodell decides to do with Peterson after this news in light of what just happened with Ray Rice.

www.cnn.com...

There are other sites out there that have pictures and some quotes from the police report. I chose not to post any of those sites because I find them sickening, especially considering that the pictures are at least a week old.

To me this is at least as bad as the Ray Rice incident, at least the woman was a full grown adult. She certainly could defend herself better than a 4-year-old child. Peterson is a much bigger star than Ray Rice, so will be very interesting to see the outcome of this.

What I find just as disgusting are all the comments on ESPN about how he's just disciplining his child. A lot of them are along the lines of, "I was hit with a switch as a child and I turned out fine so what's the big deal"? I guess if you're abused as a child that means it's ok for other children to be abused.

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 12:00 AM
link   
Define abuse and define discipline.

Where is the line drawn?

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 12:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Pimpish

Hate to see this. I was a big Peterson fan when he played for the University of Oklahoma. An amazing athlete.

edit on 9/13/2014 by ItCameFromOuterSpace because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 12:01 AM
link   
Ok, never mind guys.

I pulled up the wrong article that had this headline but information from another incident. Crap reporting at it's finest. Any things for page hits I guess.

I also did finally see the pictures (posted link below) and blood was drawn. I believe in whippings, but I do not believe in drawing blood. He will never play again. He won't have to worry about that.
edit on 9/13/2014 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 12:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: randomtangentsrme
Define abuse and define discipline.

Where is the line drawn?

Take a look at the photos. I think it's safe to say he went passed the line. Cuts and bruises up and down his entire backside, and I don't mean just his rear-end, his back, legs and ankles. Also his groin. Doctor said there were open wounds and the doctor say him days after the incident.
edit on 13-9-2014 by Pimpish because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 12:08 AM
link   

Even though I'm a Packer fan and would love to see the Viqueens lose their super star, I'll wait until hearing more about what the actual injuries were to the child before passing judgment on this one. I think disciplining your child is the right of every parent, but being overly aggressive and causing actual injury is definitely wrong and disgusting. But, I don't find anything wrong with a parent doling out some spankings when needed. We've become too much of a coddling society by trying to take away a parents right to discipline and parent their children. I got a few licks when i was growing up and at the time I may have hated it, but looking back now, I know I deserved them. I'm not defending him, but would just like to hear what he actually did in this case.

EDIT TO ADD: Okay, I'm just reading the post above mine and it appears he did leave marks, which clearly is abuse if that's the case. Hang the sum beech!
edit on 13-9-2014 by Rezlooper because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 12:10 AM
link   

I do not see any photos in the article. And the links did not specifically say photos that I saw. Can you link me to where you found the photos?
Honestly, rear end and lower are not a huge concern of mine (not having seen the photos). Can you link us to the DR. report about open wounds?

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 12:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Kangaruex4Ewe

This looks like its just majorly terrible reporting and it seems that the media is just getting worse and worse as far as accuracy goes.

Im tempted to believe that they are using stuff like twitter sites for sources.

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 12:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Rezlooper

I agree, children need discipline. It's hard to say where the line is, but I'm confident it was crossed here.

Here's an article with some pictures: hollywoodlife.com...

Keep in mind these pictures are at least a week after the incident. Also, this is a 4-year-old. I'm not quite sure where I'd draw the line, but drawing blood to me is certainly on the wrong side of that line. Especially with a 4-year-old. The child also said he was told he'd get hit in the face if he told anyone. If he was hitting his 11-year-old with a switch and had a good reason, sure, but even then drawing blood isn't OK, that's too much.

ETA: There are also some texts that they found troubling detailed in that article.

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 12:14 AM
link   
I was worried for a second it was an actor on the show Vikings and got bummed out cause I like thaat show. Phew.

Any way, good on the charges. A hand is the last resort on discipline and only truly shows you have a weak mind. Using something in that hand is even worse. I suppose the whole "well my dad used the whip on me so I can whip my kids" doesn't extend to "my dad raped me up the bum so it's okay..."

For all you that condone whipping kids, keep the last sentence fresh in your mind when you are doing it, because it's the same thing.

Unless you will accept the same way you treat your kids today (not X number of years ago) then you shouldn't be treating them like that at all. So if your boss whips you at work, or you live under sharia law, maybe you have a point.

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 12:17 AM
link   
a reply to: randomtangentsrme

www.tmz.com...

******* PHOTOS WILL APPEAR IN LINK THAT MAY BE TOO GRAPHIC FOR SOME *******

Be warned. You will see what looks a lot like what would happen to your legs if you ran naked through a briar patch. It's not pretty. A quote from the article...

4:12 PM PT -- According to the police report, Peterson allegedly sent text messages to the child's mother saying he "felt bad" because he struck the kid in the testicles.

"Got him in the nuts once I noticed. But I felt so bad, n I'm all tearing that butt up when needed!" the text said.

Peterson allegedly sent a follow up text saying, "Never do I go overboard! But all my kids will know, hey daddy has he biggest heart but don't play no games when it comes to acting right."

originally posted by: bluemooone2

This looks like its just majorly terrible reporting and it seems that the media is just getting worse and worse as far as accuracy goes.

Im tempted to believe that they are using stuff like twitter sites for sources.

I believe you are correct. What they did was post with the current headline but covered another incident entirely. That was a pretty crap thing to do to get page hits.

I think they are too busy trying to get the scoop and don't even care how they do it or if they are even doing it right.
edit on 9/13/2014 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 12:21 AM
link   

Okay...how many people here remember back in the days, many, many years ago, when Grandparents used to get a twig, also known as a switch, and used it for a whipping??

That's what Adrien Peterson did, nothing more....
The media is blowing all this up due to the Ray Rice scandal and what Roger Goodall and the NFL are going to do about it

Well my husband remembers when he had to go get his own 'switch' when he got in trouble and his Grandmother told him NOT to get a little one or else she would find one for him [yes, he's older than me]

Personally, my parents either spanked/slapped or used a belt
Of course, that was before everything got weird and parenting became 'policed'

That's called discipline and I had more than my fair share growing up

This new 'time out' crap where the kids stands in a corner doesn't do squat!!
Our friend's kids are unruly as hell and they can't control them
They need a good azz whoopin'!!

Got all kinds of Watch-groups out and about now a days

Can't let a sideways fart without someone making a complaint

-----------------
[ETA: I'm talking discipline here, not abuse....]

edit on 13-9-2014 by snarky412 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 12:25 AM
link   
a reply to: snarky412

I know what you're saying, I got spanked plenty as a child, with a belt and other things. But this was a 4-year-old, and this wasn't just a spanking. He drew blood. If you were hit like this as a 4-year-old then you were abused. He had cuts and bruises up and down his entire back, rear-end, legs and even ankles, as well as his groin.

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 12:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: Pimpish

I know what you're saying, I got spanked plenty as a child, with a belt and other things. But this was a 4-year-old, and this wasn't just a spanking. He drew blood. If you were hit like this as a 4-year-old then you were abused. He had cuts and bruises up and down his entire back, rear-end, legs and even ankles, as well as his groin.

That is what I'm talking about
That's what switches are for, to teach the boy a lesson and not push his siblings down

My husband was a kid too and it never hurt him other than teaching him NOT to do it again

Usually they only resort to switches when the other scolding, spanking doesn't work

It's not abuse, it's trying to control an unruly kid who was told over and over to stop

-------------------
ETA: I was never abused and thank my lucky stars that I was taught manners

This story falls on the heels of the Ray Rice scandal, so the media is going to hype it out, to see what the NFL is going to do about it

edit on 13-9-2014 by snarky412 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 12:31 AM
link   

According to a lawyer on espn all he could get is 5 years at most and likely only a few months

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 12:32 AM
link   

A 4-year-old? I hope you don't have any kids. What do you mean it never hurt him? Other than the cuts and bruises you mean? It's abuse. Just because your husband was abused as a child doesn't make it OK.

I'll refer you back to what boncho said

I suppose the whole "well my dad used the whip on me so I can whip my kids" doesn't extend to "my dad raped me up the bum so it's okay..."

There are plenty of other ways to punish kids without drawing blood with a stick. A decent spanking will leave nothing more than a red mark, at most, and will still get the point across. Whacking them 10+ times with a stick is abuse, regardless of how you try to spin it.

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 12:35 AM
link   

You point out these photos which may be "TOO GRAPHIC FOR SOME" "looks a lot like what would happen to your legs in you ran naked through a briar patch."
I'm not for physical punishment to children. But I also remember the shame of a spanking, and know from my uncles and aunts/parents the idea of a switch or a belt.

It is certainly a lesson. But so is letting your child run ahead of you in the woods. As you've given this a recognizable point of similarity, can you say this is worse than letting a child run into a briar patch? If so why?

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 12:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: Pimpish

A 4-year-old? I hope you don't have any kids. What do you mean it never hurt him? Other than the cuts and bruises you mean? It's abuse. Just because your husband was abused as a child doesn't make it OK.

I'll refer you back to what boncho said

I suppose the whole "well my dad used the whip on me so I can whip my kids" doesn't extend to "my dad raped me up the bum so it's okay..."

There are plenty of other ways to punish kids without drawing blood with a stick. A decent spanking will leave nothing more than a red mark, at most, and will still get the point across. Whacking them 10+ times with a stick is abuse, regardless of how you try to spin it.

Evidently you are of the 'younger' crowd, where abuse is thrown around too much, not to mention judgement on others when you don't know the whole story

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 12:39 AM
link   

Are you even familiar with the Ray Rice and NFL story/scandal????
Because this media hype is linked to that

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 12:39 AM
link   
While I don't agree with what happened, the way the injuries are being described and the way they look in the above pictures are no way near the same imo.
He punished his kid the way he was punished and took it to far, bad parenting taught more bad parenting, shocker.
I wonder how he felt every time his dad did the same to him, I know that is the reason I would never spank my child using a belt like my old man did.
This is all bad for him tho, and I hope he gets what he deserves for doing this to his son

Also worth noting that the first grand jury did not want to press the charges, it took a second one to indict him.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join