It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I just saw a meteor

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 08:55 PM
link   
I live in Central Florida and I just saw a very bright meteor fly from East to West. I checked online to see if there was a meteor shower I was unaware of but the next one wont be until October 21st. It was very exciting so I thought I would share it here.

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 09:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Stari

Congrats. Fireballs are really exciting to see. I did get to see one shooting star here in PA tonight, but it has been years since I have seen a big fireball.

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 09:24 PM
link   

Your very own meteor. Aren't those sweet?

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 09:45 PM
link   
You should report it to the American Meteor Society.

American Meteor Society

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 10:04 PM
link   

Give us some more details, like how long was it visible, how bright in comparison, did it fragment at all, what color. Give us some meat.

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 10:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Yeahkeepwatchingme

Thank you I didn't know about that website, I reported it.

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 10:05 PM
link   
Yeah, if you go outbush far away from where there’s any artificial lights on a clear night and just stare up to the sky for a while you will nearly always see one or even a few.

The most amazing one I’ve ever seen was one time when I was out in the middle of the Aussie desert. Wasn’t even really looking at the sky, just out there by myself pondering the meaning of what is (as you do). Then all of a sudden the whole sky lite up, it went from pitch dark to being lite up like day all around me. I looked up to the sky and there was what looked like a giant green fireball with a huge green tail flying straight at me.

It’s embarrassing to admit, but without even thinking I just instinctively dived head first into my car window, lol. Then managed to pull myself together, looked out the window of my car and this green fireball still looked like it was coming straight at me. My first thought was it must be campers with fire works, which was weird since out in the desert you usually know if anyone is anywhere near you.

But then it just kept coming in a downward horizontal motion, for what must have been minutes. Though I wasn't timing it, so I really have no idea of the exact time it lasted, just felt like ages.

Then it just kind of disappeared below the horizon. It was the most amazing thing I've personally ever seen in the sky.

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 10:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Rezlooper

It was visible for about 2-5 seconds, it was bright like Venus, No fragmentation and it was white just like Venus. No it wasn't Venus. It moved from East to West.

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 10:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Subaeruginosa

Wow, that sounds amazing, wish my siting was that exciting.

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 11:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy

Congrats. Fireballs are really exciting to see. I did get to see one shooting star here in PA tonight, but it has been years since I have seen a big fireball.

If you're near southwestern pa. Did you see the big blue bright light to the north west.
It was practically stationary! one second it wasn't there.
Then it was like a blue star twinkled into existence.
Got brighter than anything in the sky.. then faded out!
Lasted around 35-45 seconds
I checked the time, it was 9:05 pm est.
It was behind hazy clouds and was still brighter than the brightest star that was in the clearest part of the sky!

edit on 12-9-2014 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 11:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Bigburgh

Wonder if that could have been Aurora from the solar storm. Cool to see whatever it was.

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 11:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Subaeruginosa
Yeah, if you go outbush far away from where there’s any artificial lights on a clear night and just stare up to the sky for a while you will nearly always see one or even a few.

The most amazing one I’ve ever seen was one time when I was out in the middle of the Aussie desert. Wasn’t even really looking at the sky, just out there by myself pondering the meaning of what is (as you do). Then all of a sudden the whole sky lite up, it went from pitch dark to being lite up like day all around me. I looked up to the sky and there was what looked like a giant green fireball with a huge green tail flying straight at me.

It’s embarrassing to admit, but without even thinking I just instinctively dived head first into my car window, lol. Then managed to pull myself together, looked out the window of my car and this green fireball still looked like it was coming straight at me. My first thought was it must be campers with fire works, which was weird since out in the desert you usually know if anyone is anywhere near you.

But then it just kept coming in a downward horizontal motion, for what must have been minutes. Though I wasn't timing it, so I really have no idea of the exact time it lasted, just felt like ages.

Then it just kind of disappeared below the horizon. It was the most amazing thing I've personally ever seen in the sky.

To see shooting stars is common, but to actually see fireballs (bolides) is not so common. What you describe here was definitely an amazing sighting, a once-in-a-llifetime event. Something most of us will never see. I know that I have yet to see a fireball and I live in the northwoods my whole life.

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 12:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: Rezlooper

Wonder if that could have been Aurora from the solar storm. Cool to see whatever it was.

Thanks..
But this is the fourth such/exact incident since Aug. 8th
Same time ( -+ 15 mins ) 9pm pittsburgh. Same location. So I don't know if I can put it in the Aurora class.
Satellite maybe..
If I had to put it best.
It was like a GRB ( gamma ray burst )

Arms length.. left hand turned to 3 o'clock position.. from the big dipper.
I looked at my house on Google maps. I was sitting directly north.
So not north west as I said. But dead straight to Erie PA.

But the Aurora was why I was out tonight.

edit on 13-9-2014 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

edit on 13-9-2014 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 07:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Rezlooper

I know! I've told this story before, but years ago I was out in the woods at night, and as I was visiting a tree to, ah, water the plant, the entire sky lit up like daylight and then went dark again. The problem was that I was facing in the opposite direction, and missed this huge fireball. Unluck of the 1/16th Irish.

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 03:35 PM
link   
If a meteor is travelling across the sky slowly, there's a good chance that it's actually a man-made satellite or a rocket stage reentering the atmosphere.

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 07:57 PM
link   
a reply to: wildespace

Yup your right, but this was a meteor. I have a scope and have been staring at the sky since my parents moved my bed next to the window when I was very young. I know what I saw

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 03:29 PM
link   

No I don't live there I am in Florida so unfortunately I did not see that. I bet that was really cool!

new topics

top topics

join