It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Planned Parenthood now attacking GOP plans to expand access to birth control

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 09:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: TsukiLunar
a reply to: OrphanApology

Yah! Its not like pharmacists have to work in the pharmacy or anything thing! They should be prescribing medication. They always know whats what.

To be honest, I always ask my local pharmacist on their opinion of a drug before I would EVER trust my doctor!

After all, have you seen the commercials from big Pharma telling you how great their new drug is, but consult with you doctor and let them know if you have problem XYZ before taking this poison?

Seriously? WTF are we paying the doctor for if we have to REMIND THEM?

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 09:38 PM
link   

Please stay on topic....

Bickering, name-calling and goading is not part of civil debate...You are responsible for your own posts.

Community Announcement re: Decorum

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 09:43 PM
link   
a reply to: seeker1963

Yeah, not to mention it kind of ruins the trust factor when you walk into a doctors office and the first thing you see is a giant ad for Zoloft or Paxil. I bet their prescriptions match their walls.

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 09:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

originally posted by: windword
a reply to: snowspirit

More and more pharmacies have clinics manned by Registered Nurses who can write prescriptions. I can't foresee them doing any kind of pelvic exams though.

Shouldn't I decide if I want a pelvic exam?

What's wrong with local clinics and a blood test? It doesn't take a physician to draw blood and send it to a lab.

Nothing wrong with local clinics.
I guess that's another difference between our countries health care systems.
We have doctors, nurses, and exam rooms at our local clinics, as well as at the docs office.

We've just always had our docs want to do checkups once a year or more, and it only costs us in time, as all doctor visits are free (yes, taxes taxes) so we're more inclined to not question the validity of yearly pelvic exams.
Plus, some of us get lucky and the doctors often give (free) us their birth control samples they get from the pharmaceutical companies

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 09:47 PM
link   
I have gotten bored with this thread. You all would rather trust an untrained pharmacist than a doctor? Be my guest. I hold no culpability, so i can't complain.

For those of us that trust the science? Congrats, you have the research necessary to live a full life. Medical science is amazing, unless you ignore it. Peace out and i hope you all live full lives.

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 09:53 PM
link   
a reply to: TsukiLunar

Pharmacists have doctoral degrees specializing in only medication. You think they know LESS about medication than a GP that sits and types things into computer all day?

I would trust a pharmacist any day over a GP in regard to medication, effect on body, risks, and anything else medication related. To say that pharmacists are "untrained" means you do not understand their profession at all.

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 09:56 PM
link   

More and more pharmacies have clinics manned by Registered Nurses who can write prescriptions. I can't foresee them doing any kind of pelvic exams though.

What's wrong with local clinics and a blood test? It doesn't take a physician to draw blood and send it to a lab.

It's been a long for me, but when I used to have to go to get a renewal prescriptions for my BC pills, the doctors always required me to have a pelvic exam, a pap smear and a mimi mamo. But I sure wouldn't volunteer for such exams if I didn't have to in order to get my script.

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 09:59 PM
link   
a reply to: OrphanApology
Most insurance plans still allow medications, even if OTC, to be covered by insurance, if prescribed by a physisian.

In other words, it renders your claims about attempts to not have it covered by Obamacare as

FALSE.

A doctor can tell a diabetic to check their blood sugar 5 times per day. The diabetic is free to purchase the meter at full price, along with the test strips, needles, etc.

However, if the patient requests that the doctor actually write a prescription for said meter and needles and strips, they are then covered by insurance.

Particularly, Medicare and Medicaid. For Medicare, you can then order the meter and supplies online or by phone, and have them delivered to your home. The same goes for many, many, medications and supplies.

Obamacare, like United Healthcare, Aetna, Kaiser, Medicaid, and many other insurance policies, likely closely adheres to what is known as "Medicare Guidelines", which is a known set of "rules", readily available on Google. Anything that falls outside of "Medicare Guidelines" likely requires the doctor to file an "exception".

In other words, most insurances require you take Generic drugs, when available. If, for whatever reason, say an allergy occurs to a Generic drug, or intolerance, that makes you unable to take the Generic, if the doctor files an "exception", the insurance is then required to allow you to take the "Name Brand". Read: more costly drug.

OTC Pepcid is in the same category. If your doctor tells you to take it, ask for a prescription. It is then covered by insurance.

The problem then, is not the fact that it is OTC, or the GOP. The next obvious factors in line become ignorance and then politics.

Pretty clear picture.

edit on 12-9-2014 by Libertygal because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 10:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: snowspirit

We have doctors, nurses, and exam rooms at our local clinics, as well as at the docs office.

America does have clinics. The problem is where you live.

If you live in a very fundamental religious state, they organize and find ways to shut down women's clinics.

It's unfortunate that fundamental religious women don't support women.

Women's clinics need to be Federal.

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 10:17 PM
link   

If you live in a very fundamental religious state, they organize and find ways to shut down women's clinics.

So you blame the women whom believe differently than you because of their religion, and your answer is MORE government to tell them they are mistaken in their beliefs????

Even though our country is a Republic, I will entertain you in the fact that the Democracy you believe RULES, in the states you have declared "religious" do NOT follow your BELIEF, are now due to the WOMEN????

WOW!

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 10:21 PM
link   

It's been a long for me, but when I used to have to go to get a renewal prescriptions for my BC pills, the doctors always required me to have a pelvic exam, a pap smear and a mimi mamo. But I sure wouldn't volunteer for such exams if I didn't have to in order to get my script.

Me too.

I get preventative medicine, but that's overkill.

Today when I pick a doc, I flat out tell them "I don't want too much doctoring". I only want as much as I decide I need.

I'm looking for a new doc now because his office girl was kind of caustic in telling me "I had to get a mammogram". Um, no I don't.

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 10:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: seeker1963

So you blame the women whom believe differently than you because of their religion, . . .

YES! I do.

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 10:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: seeker1963
. . . . and your answer is MORE government to tell them they are mistaken in their beliefs????

Yada yada -- the Right and their mantra "Less Government" is the biggest joke in the world.

What they mean by less government is: "We rule, you don't".

I know, SHOCKING! Federal law will mean women's clinics can't be shut down because some religious wacko doesn't like what they do.

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 10:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

Federal law will mean women's clinics can't be shut down because some religious wacko doesn't like what they do.

Until some religious wacko gets elected President and some more get elected to Congress.

Bitter.Bitterness

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 11:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen

Until some religious wacko gets elected President and some more get elected to Congress.

We already had Bush and his Christian crusade.

Bitter.Bitterness

I was both Republican and Christian. I know exactly how they think.

"I'm right, you're wrong, were doing it my way"

Then I grew up.

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 10:57 AM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

First of all, the Republican members are doing this to gain the women's vote, therefore what THEY'RE doing is political. That's fine, but first, they have to get the rest of their party to agree and make it part of the GOP platform or else it's just lip service. It's also their way to remove it from Obamacare. If you don't see this "trick", I can't help you.

They all have histories of voting against birth control coverage, abortion and contraception. Cory Gardner (the one I researched) has voted AGAINST reauthorizing the Violence against Women Act, Workplace Accommodations for Nursing Mothers and allowing Pharmacies to Prescribe Emergency Contraception. He has a LONG history of voting AGAINST women and their rights and freedoms.

These men don't care about women, they care about bringing Obama down. That is ALL.

Source

The REASON Planned Parenthood doesn't want BC OTC is because that means insurance won't pay for it and women will have to pay for it themselves. PP is FOR women.

The women’s health group contends that the candidates’ support for making birth-control pills available without prescription is a “political ploy” that would actually cost women hundreds of dollars. Prescription birth control under the new federal health law is considered a preventative health service, meaning that insurers generally must pay for it without charging an out-of-pocket cost.

Planned Parenthood Votes said that since insurers generally don’t pay for OTC pills, the effect of making birth control available without prescription would be to shift the roughly $600 annual cost to women instead of insurers.

Source

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join