It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FACEBOOK demanding Photo I.D to re-access my account? Anyone else?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 07:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Melbourne_Militia
Ladies and Gentlment,

The social network and CIA data-mining operation we all call "Facebook" has taken it to a new level in my books. I would appreciate it if anyone else who has encountered similar situation could offer some advise.

1. I use an acronym for my surname on Facebook. This is to keep people from finding me or requesting to be friends that I dont want. I have my own little social circle of friends and thats it.

2. a Month ago Facebook closed my account and requested I changed my screen name to my proper surname....so I just added an extra letter to my acronym I use instead of my surname and they let me back on.

3. This morning my account closed and I received this message:
Screen Shot of Facebook request

In order to proceed then next screen asks you to upload a file copy of your identification in order for Facebook to verify who you are.

Why? Why does Facebook have to verify who I am? I am not doing anything illegal or wrong.

I have been pretty active and vocal on various Facebook discussion groups and News Media Facebook pages the last 2 days in regards to the "911 - dont beleive the official story" kind of topics. So Im wondering if I have been reported or something.

Anyway, I beleive having to provide my identification is WRONG, UNWARRANTED, and an INVASION ON MY PERSONAL RIGHTS.

Facebook is not a Banking organisation, I am not trying to get a loan, it is not a Police Law Enforcement Agency and I SHOULD NOT HAVE TO PROVE WHO I AM.

Thats like ATS requesting all members submit a Photo ID to verify they are real people behind the made-up Profiles....it is just unjust.

4. Anyway, instead of uploading a photo I.D, I wrote a letter and saved it as an image file and uploaded the following instead:

Dear Facebook,
The request by yourself for me to upload proof of my identity in order for me to access my Facebook account again , I beleive is an infringement on my individual rights, and my right to use a different surname in order to protect myself somewhat from all the trolls out there.

I have not caused any issues on Facebook and Facebook is not a Banking Institution or a Law Enforcement Organisation where proof of my identification is required. I am not a terrorist or a threat to anyone in anyway, and therefore I dont beleive that I should have to submit to this request.

So unless you can prove otherwise, and can justify your request for me to submit identification, I beleive your request is invalid, it is an infringement, and an unreasonable request. I know of many people out there not using their real names and have never been questioned about this.

If this has anything to do with any political posts I may have made, shared, or commented on, that are against the grain of public opinion or what society has been led to beleive is true, then please state so, man-up, and call it what it is. I would appreciate it if a Facebook representative could contact me on my email address with a phone number so we could discuss this in person. else Mark Zuckerberg and his CIA "data-mining"accomplices can go and suck on a fresh one!

As my little protest to their request.

Would appreciate any advice and opinions on this matter....has anyone else encountered similar?

lol... Dude... Bottom line, it's a private website, they can demand anything they like... Don't like it? Do like the rest of us and don't use it...

Why do they want to know who you are? Duh... So they can arrest you quicker, get more monies... People been sent to prison from posts they have made on there... They have a cast iron case, your picture, your ip and your full name... Case closed...

You said in your opening lines it is a cia data mining op, so why the hell you wanna be on there anyway? 0.o

Their site, their rules... Simple as that... Say I come to your house and decide I'd actually like to piss up the walls instead of the toilet, hell who are you to tell me I can't! I dont wanna walk all the way to the toilet... XD
edit on 13-9-2014 by Meee32 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 07:07 PM
link   
The only thing I use facebook for is business reasons

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 07:21 PM
link   
While I refuse to hold a FB account due to the privacy issues, me three cats all have FB accounts with over 500 cats as friends. The names are so ridiculous that FB could not mistake them for real names, and one look at the friends-list showing each with 30 friends named Scrambles makes me think they are only looking to boot persons that rock the Zuckerboat.
If they ask for ID should I send them the rabies vaccination certificate?

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 08:02 PM
link   
It happened to me back in 2012. Waited a month, my facebook account came back. Would you like to share with the group what you posted prior to it being taken offline? Or better yet, screen capture what you posted and share it with us. If you have such a small circle of friends and don't want new ones, why would you even have facebook? Why not just text message your small group of friends? Facebook seems really effective for business or ideas but more a less just a collection of bored adults trying to act like the weather, traffic or their favorite television show has some kind of realistic impact on the course of world events. For me it's like witnessing the living embodiment of America's failed education system. Popularity contests. Pop-culture. Poop.

It's amusing to read the posts about people who got rid of their facebook or have some hipster-smarm-paste to wipe on other people's comments who kept their facebook. All of us are on ATS, a forum that is inundated with corporate sponsorships (Dodge and Ford are both being used on this page). There are cameras mounted in multiple locations in most towns in North America and all social media networks have been compromised at some point. What is the point of acting like you are above facebook when you can be tracked inside or outside of it? Maybe you just weren't poked enough.......[poke]

edit on 13-9-2014 by RisingTerra because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 08:11 PM
link   
One of the major reasons they want people to use a real name is to stop trolling. The argument is if people have to state their real name then they're less likely to be antagonistic or inflammatory or otherwise trollish. But in my opinion, having to state your real name just makes you less likely to say anything which is outside the norm. So these efforts to push us to use our real name sacrifice speaking outside of the norm to reduce trolling.

So how does this make us herd? I don't know exactly what to call it, but it's kind of like peer pressure. You don't want to say things which stir the waters too much or you'll get bad rap. And if you're already a well known person, saying anything that stirs the waters can quickly escalate and cause you to lose your job or god knows what else. By being able to speak anonymously, it allows to say things we wouldn't otherwise be able to say comfortably. And this doesn't mean it's trolling or untrue or invalid.

You know how in politics they use the expression "Toe the party line?" That's what this is. In its worst form, this is just a gentle and unobtrusive way of herding the sheeple. I doubt these social websites are forcing real names or encouraging them in order to make people 'toe the party line', but I do think that's the inevitable result.

To really understand this I think I can use a better technique. Instead of forcing us to use real names in social media websites, why not just force us to publicly aire our private thoughts which can then be posted on a server for public access??? So now the whole world knows exactly what you're thinking. Let me ask you, if your family knew what you were thinking by logging into a website, would that restrict what you think? OF COURSE IT WOULD. Doesn't mean it's bad what you're thinking, but knowing your parents can read your thoughts will impact what you think.

So what do you think? Woudl this be a better world if our private thoughts were instead public for all to see? Sounds ok, kind of, right? But wait a minute. What about parents who want to control their child? What if their child thinks the wrong thought? Will the parents then send their child off to a psychiatrist or a clinic to have those thoughts deleted or manipulated? Who knows how far all this goes. Fears of what people's thoughts could lead to may cause an overreaction, and not just from parents.

Please note I missed one other reason they may be doing this. The other reason is to document a user's identity in cases where a crime has been committed and law enforcement needs a trail of evidence.
edit on 13-9-2014 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 08:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Meee32
The problem is so many people use Facebook and if this phenomena of use our real name catches on somehow then we'll see it used more and more. Children will grow up with it and think it's normal to use your real name. And at some point it will inject itself into the way our lives work. Jobs may require we have our real name on a social media website, for example. Who knows how far it could go.
edit on 13-9-2014 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 08:32 PM
link   
Facebook is a private company and can set whatever terms and conditions they want for the access of their services, providing their terms don't contravene statute law.

Theres no statute law I am aware of that makes it illegal to require photographic identification documents. Therefore their requirement is legal, albeit abhorrent.

You only really have two choices, comply with their terms and conditions, or don't use their services.

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 09:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Lynk3

You treat Facebooks terms and conditions like its a holy book. Damning those who dare question its unwarned invasion of privacy hijacking peoples personal information. "How dare those heathens!!!!! "

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 10:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Melbourne_Militia

Well my friend, I doubt you will get your account back. Their services, their policies, their choice whether to let you have the account back. Facebook is not your right, it is a service provided to you for free by them. They call the shots, not you.

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 10:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Aural

Except they're not infringing anybody's privacy. Nothing on facebook is private. It's a public social network on the internet. Besides, if you don't like the terms of service, don't support the service by making an account. It's not like they save any personal data physically on paper. Of course it has to be saved on a server, otherwise your profile would be wiped clean every time you log off.

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 10:03 PM
link   

So don't use facebook, if you don't agree with the terms it's simple. Don't use facebook.

Problem solved.

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 10:05 PM
link   
a reply to: jonnywhite

I grew up giving my real name to everyone. This was before computers and cellphones. The #ing mail man knew my name, because that was the polite thing to do when you met someone for the first time. You shook their hand and introduced yourself.

Same goes with those I did business with, the bank, the police officers I encountered, the doctors I visited, my teachers and employees.

I still practice this today, and am regarded as professional, polite and successful.

I really do not understand this hysteria with using your real name.

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 10:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Lynk3

They dont tell you that you have to provide an ID. They dont tell you clearly that your account is perminent and can not be shut down they hold the data for eternity. They dont make it clear you that they can sell your personal data and even your photographs. They dont need to do that to provide their service. They are sinister in their methods.

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 10:09 PM
link   

Yet everyone who signed up for the accounts on their service has agreed to all of that. They are not sinister, they asked your permission and you gave it to them. They do not force you to use their services, nor do they force themselves onto your device.

Social media is a choice, it's not mandatory.
edit on 13-9-2014 by Hijinx because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 10:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Hijinx

Because it makes identity theft, general nosyness and stalking so much easier when something is online and searchable. Some jobs even have tried to make people report their facebook so they could spy on them and judge them on their personal life.

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 10:16 PM
link   

Why would a site dedicated to having all your personal data present be a source of identity theft? If anything it should help protect you as it's a cache of photos of you, your friends and family, shows your network of connections, where you go etc.

So if someone stole a credit card you could say. Nope not me, stole your id, nope not me look at this.

It's exactly the opposite of what you think. Yes, it let's folks look at your life, see your most intimate relationships (if you post them online), but it gives them nothing towards stealing your identity. Unless they can make themselves look exactly like you.

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 10:19 PM
link   

That's like telling someone not to use the phone. Some people that's the only form of communication available since some people just refuse not to use facebook.

Facebook is also connected to every website out there they can gather data on you whether you use Facebook or not (not sure if they do not).

Its people who are paying for their website. Its people who support their business. Its people who have the right to tell them what to do.

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 10:22 PM
link   

Facebook is used for data mining and phishing. You go on a persons page to gather information that can be used. There are security for it but there are ways around that.

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 11:46 PM
link   
Thought I'd read through this one after my post.

I just had a thought, I used a photograph for my phoney profile from a clip-art collection I purchased. I am assuming that I have use rights from my purchase, however, what if FB tries to sell that picture? Will I be held responsible for a copyrights infringement charge against FB because I didn't follow the T&C?

I think they could eventually track me down, but not even my server has my real info, still there is a couple of ways to get to me. Perhaps I should use an original photo of some kind. Hummm.

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 12:33 AM
link   

You agree to all of it by using it. You mention a phone, then cry that facebook is your only form of contact.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join