It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FACEBOOK demanding Photo I.D to re-access my account? Anyone else?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 10:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: [post=18409763]pryingopen3rdeye[post]
BTW i see people posting that the option to provide a cell phone number is a private alternative, it isnt, the entire purpose of providing the cell phone number is again to identify you, as you have identified yourself to your cell phone provider,facebook asks AT&T does ***-***-**** belong to John Smith? AT&T replies yes or no, if no then account still remains locked.

Except that's not how it works at all.

To verify by phone they send you a text message containing a code. You just type the code into a box and you're golden. No cross talk between facebook and the service provider. You can even do this verification with an app like text+, which allows texting/calling over WiFi and assigns your account a unique 10 digit phone number.

If people find themselves needing to use fake names on facebook (besides for tricking the games) probably need to rethink his/her reasons for both using the alias and for using the facebook service.
edit on 9/13/2014 by ChaosComplex because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 10:58 AM
link   
I have never had a Facebook and I will never get a Facebook. My wife has one, so, I might as well be considered as having one. I hate that idea. I hate being monitored. I won't even carry a cell phone with me most of the time. If Facebook requires a user to log in their I.D. then I'll have to talk to my wife and hopefully she'll decide to stop using it. The internet should never turn into something like what Facebook is suggesting. Does this mean that if you make remarks against any corporation or whatever, then they can drive by your house and harass you? Or maybe start calling you and harassing you?

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 01:43 PM
link   
a reply to: dreamingawake

I didn't say people in this thread were ruining Facebook, but people in this thread said Facebook was bad because of users harassing them, like stalkers or bullies. That's not Facebook's problem, that's your problem and the guilty-party's problem.

As for the using your stage name and Facebook requiring you to change it, that's breaking a damn rule. If you don't like that you got put in the tineout corner with a mild punishment, then you must be an ignorant fool. It's not about privacy, it's about rules.

And just because the policies weren't enforced back then doesn't make it okay to bitch about it when they are enforced. They just needed time to make a system that enforced the policies well enough to deal with the thousannds of people breaking said policies.

And as for them putting you on watch lists for visiting ATS, I am not on any watch list, and I've participated in many conspiracy threads about Sandy Hook and 9/11, from multiple devices. Even if I was, that's the NSA, not facebook.

And yes, people hate on Pop Stars that were made famous by youtube. Perfect example is Justin Bieber.
edit on 0149k3 by Lynk3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 01:44 PM
link   
a reply to: ChaosComplex

Except we are clearly the minority in this thread thinking that following the rules is the right path, smh.

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 01:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Fylgje

That's the corporation harassing you, not Facebook. If you don't want them to harass you, don't make overly rude remarks towards them.

Facebook doesn't require an I.D. to log in. I don't know if you have trouble reading basic comprehension, but the OP clearly states it requires I.D. only to verify an account when you use a bull**** name, and only after you refuse cellphone verification.

Follow the rules, and no problems.

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 02:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Melbourne_Militia

I haven't had that problem with Facebook...yet. It wouldn't however, surprise me if I did in the future. I only use Facebook as a news aggregation site and I login under an alias and check the news sources I "follow" on Facebook. So, I don't use it as a social connection of any kind.

Its just my opinion, but I'm suspecting that before too long, Facebook will require all users to have "verified" accounts. By verified they mean you must supply a photo of yourself and/or a working phone number. From what I can tell, Facebook is some how tied into either the NSA or another data gathering system and as such is basically working, as does AT&T, as a Government contractor of National Security interest. I'd explain how that works but its a long story. Suffice it to say that in case you haven't noticed, all AT&T buildings look alike; they're built like fortresses. They are built to a security level provided by the US Government. Back in the day, in exchange for its government sanctioned monopoly on long distance phone service, AT&T was told they had to build their buildings in such a fashion they could repel and withstand ground attack by hostile forces up to a certain number of hours. AT&T was also required to retain call records. Why would the government do that? Because, back in the day, if someone or some group wanted to launch an insurgency or coup-d'etat against a government, the rule was you had to 1) take over the post office, 2) take over the telephone exchange and telegraph office, and 3) take over or take out TV and Radio stations. As a result, both AT&T and Western Union are treated very specially.

Behind the scenes, I'm convinced that Facebook either has now or attempting to convince the government that it should be a Government contractor of National Security interest. By doing that, Facebook would be allowed to acquire near monopoly status. There's a huge push on to end any semblance of anonymity on the internet. Facebook is selling its services to the government to insure 1) people can't make much use of the internet without Facebook and 2) that all accounts are verified. So for example, we're now seeing Facebook insert itself into other websites where you might want to login. By that I mean, go to, say, Home Depot's web site and you have the option to login as a Home Depot account holder or you can login through your Facebook account. They're going to do that with everything they can and they sell it as a service to the retailers by pointing out that if the Home Depot buyer only logs in with Facebook, Home Depot isn't responsible for hacked accounts. I expect we'll see that where ever you want to login to a Government type service account, say...Medicare or Social Security or the IRS.

At the end of the day, the best option is to not use Facebook for anything. When that becomes impossible, well....it just proves up the old saying that everything is a business model!

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 02:34 PM
link   
a reply to: WP4YT

That is exactly what they did to me. Yet the stalkers and trolls remain. I've seen revolting pages created to harass and humiliate a person and facebook does nothing about it, yet they simply "deactivated" my account one day without warning.

I really hate facebook for doing nothing to the trolls, abusers, bullies and scammers that run rampant on their site.

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 02:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Stormdancer777

Yeah, me too. I hate that even Youtube wants me to use a "real name" instead of an alias/handle. I mean, yeah sure we won't see many cuteybabe696969 accounts anymore thankfully but that also eliminates all the cool names people have created.

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 03:00 PM
link   
a reply to: MonkeyFishFrog

Youtube has an option to where if you are a business or an artist of any type, you can use a fake name, but it has to pertain to your field. I use Lynk3, and they are aware and completely okay with it.

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 03:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Lynk3

Oh, I know. I use an artist name for my channel but every time I log on they ask me if I want to use my artist name or my real name.

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 03:18 PM
link   
a reply to: UKWO1Phot

Thank you for answering. I worry that it doesn't, or it won't
matter what name you use since they have our IP addresses.
I myself do not know much about these things.

Cheers
Ektar

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 04:01 PM
link   
What did you do to have your Facebook account closed? They do not simply force you to change your name unless its offensive. Have you been spamming peoples walls with stuff? Or spamming social groups? Or people in PM's? Or posted something highly controversial on your wall? Or got into verbal wars with someone on a social Facebook platform? I am betting that you were reported for something by someone and it was brought to the attention of the folks in charge of Facebook and action was taken.

Facebook accounts do not "close" for no reason at all. There has to be a reason.

Every single case Ive heard where an account was closed, it was because someone reported the person for suspicious activity.

Another reason for your account being closed is if you friend request a lot of people at once. That seems to throw up a red flag to them too.
edit on 13-9-2014 by Vrill because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 04:29 PM
link   

lol dude, if I ever tried to log into Facebook and it did not let me, I would not bother trying to log in again, or make another account ever again, its the same with this site, or any of them, in fact I forget my password for my email accounts now and then, and when I do I just stop going there. In all the only reason to have any of it is for job, or society purposes, in fact I would not even have a cellphone if it weren't necessary in this day and age, but other then that there a waste of time. Its not exactly all that important, its just a way to pass the time, if anything it just says how crappy things are in the real world that people find such things important or fun.

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 04:37 PM
link   
I've had Gmail and YT try to get a 'real name'. I've not seen FB doing that and those screens look foreign to me. As most know Gmail bought YT.

I'm old school also where everyone use aliases on forums and Usenet and BBS-es. I'm sure the people trying to datamine are all using fake accounts in those alphabet agencies, ironically.

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 04:42 PM
link   
no smart phone, no facebook, no twitter, for me.....amazing about all of life's applications that are already out there waiting to be used, all in real time with no lag, in 3-D, totally interactive with immediate feedback, no passwords or subscriptions.

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 05:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vrill
What did you do to have your Facebook account closed? They do not simply force you to change your name unless its offensive. Have you been spamming peoples walls with stuff? Or spamming social groups? Or people in PM's? Or posted something highly controversial on your wall? Or got into verbal wars with someone on a social Facebook platform? I am betting that you were reported for something by someone and it was brought to the attention of the folks in charge of Facebook and action was taken.

Facebook accounts do not "close" for no reason at all. There has to be a reason.

Every single case Ive heard where an account was closed, it was because someone reported the person for suspicious activity.

Another reason for your account being closed is if you friend request a lot of people at once. That seems to throw up a red flag to them too.

Nope...none of the above.

Im active on several interest groups, mainly vehicle related, and have a small following of friends. I do not go and ask for more friends as its against what I beleive in, keeping your friends group small.

I use facebook alot as a news source from various pages.

and on those news source pages I have been pretty critical (non abusive, well versed language) of the whole 911 scenario/incident this week, raising questions. no trolling, no spamming.

The other thing, Facebook always asks you to update your work location, your interests, other "profile" data i havent filled in......this is my choice. I disagree with having to provide all this data...its optional, not mandatory.

If facebook could have it their way, there would be a facebook rep in every house watching all you do.

Reminds me of the SS Secret Police......online Stasi.

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 05:41 PM
link   

"I've done nothing wrong, but I have questioned the integrity of the 9/11 stories on several news pages."

>have done nothing wrong
>questioned the government

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 05:42 PM
link   
a reply to: toolgal462

It's called the delete button/blocking feature. Facebook has moderators but they can't babysit every single facebook account. Like I said before, get over yourself, nobody gets special treatment and protection from the bad guys.

It's like blaming the police for somebody getting murdered when you can't predict the future.

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 05:43 PM
link   

they wanted me to do the same thing. once verified they said they would destroy the copy i sent them,

what a farce that was, people's id's are never compromised by companies and facebook is soooo trustworthy.

there are so many fake profiles out there

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 06:18 PM
link   
a reply to: bigx001

Or the problem is that maybe, just maybe, you don't trust people.

Of course there are always going to be people who exploit you, con you, but they are the minority in this world, and heavily outnumbered. It's not that people are untrustworthy, it's just that you don't trust people. At least Facebook isn't asking for Social Security numbers, which I doubt they ever will.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join