It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FACEBOOK demanding Photo I.D to re-access my account? Anyone else?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 09:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Ektar
Just use your business name if you're plying your wares.

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 09:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Stormdancer777
a reply to: Kangaruex4Ewe

I have three fake names that I use to move ahead in Candy Crush without having to pay or beg other people to send me a "ticket" when I need one. DONT JUDGE ME!

lol i did that with farmville

I KNEW I wasn't the only one... At least some can admit it.

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 09:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Melbourne_Militia

When the quick-mart clerk cards me for cigarettes--at my age--that's flattering. My guess is some will advise you to honor the contract. You know, terms of service in order to "enjoy" whatever service. Here in America the contract is celebrated as so binding, regardless of the soul eating sunshine of the terms, you might as well be entering into with the devil. Myself? I say thumb your nose at the corporation while you can.

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 10:00 PM
link   

Facebook blows. Consider yourself lucky.

My daughter's ex boyfriend is stalking her and keeps contacting her, thanks to Facebook. She's contacted them, he still contacts her via their messaging. She's blocked him, he just gets another profile going and messages her again. They do nothing to stop it...I do think they are evil and totally associated with those three letter agencies we all know and love.
edit on 12-9-2014 by lovebeck because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 10:11 PM
link   

it is not a Police Law Enforcement Agency

Lol, that's where you couldn't be more wrong.

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 10:57 PM
link   
I know someone who had the last name songbird. Her parents actually named her robin. Funny yeah. But it was her real name. Facebook deactivated her account saying she must use her real name. Which it was. But they didn't ask for ID and she couldn't find a way to contact them (what multibillion corps don't have a phone number? Farcebook apparently)

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 11:43 PM
link   
Same thing happened to me at the end of August. I am also "old school" and will not use my real name in discussion groups or social media. There is no reason to do so. I have been "dreams~n~chains", consistently, for the entire 17 years that I have been on the Internet but Facebook suspended my account and demanded I use my real name. I figured it was some angry person with no life that had reported me....... but now I wonder.

Meanwhile... Facebook let's thousands of others use aliases and even con, troll and rip-off other members.

Facebook has truly turned into an arrogant, invasive control freak with hidden agendas that will ultimately sacrifice it's very member base to feed the hunger for more money and power to Mark Zuckerberg. Someone truly needs to build a social media site like the old, simple Facebook and watch the multitudes quickly abandon Facebook to make someone else a billionaire. Because they would......

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 12:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: threeeyesopen

originally posted by: Melbourne_Militia
Ladies and Gentlment,

The social network and CIA data-mining operation we all call "Facebook" has taken it to a new level in my books. I would appreciate it if anyone else who has encountered similar situation could offer some advise.

1. I use an acronym for my surname on Facebook. This is to keep people from finding me or requesting to be friends that I dont want. I have my own little social circle of friends and thats it.

2. a Month ago Facebook closed my account and requested I changed my screen name to my proper surname....so I just added an extra letter to my acronym I use instead of my surname and they let me back on.

3. This morning my account closed and I received this message:
Screen Shot of Facebook request

In order to proceed then next screen asks you to upload a file copy of your identification in order for Facebook to verify who you are.

Why? Why does Facebook have to verify who I am? I am not doing anything illegal or wrong.

I have been pretty active and vocal on various Facebook discussion groups and News Media Facebook pages the last 2 days in regards to the "911 - dont beleive the official story" kind of topics. So Im wondering if I have been reported or something.

Anyway, I beleive having to provide my identification is WRONG, UNWARRANTED, and an INVASION ON MY PERSONAL RIGHTS.

Facebook is not a Banking organisation, I am not trying to get a loan, it is not a Police Law Enforcement Agency and I SHOULD NOT HAVE TO PROVE WHO I AM.

Thats like ATS requesting all members submit a Photo ID to verify they are real people behind the made-up Profiles....it is just unjust.

4. Anyway, instead of uploading a photo I.D, I wrote a letter and saved it as an image file and uploaded the following instead:

Dear Facebook,
The request by yourself for me to upload proof of my identity in order for me to access my Facebook account again , I beleive is an infringement on my individual rights, and my right to use a different surname in order to protect myself somewhat from all the trolls out there.

I have not caused any issues on Facebook and Facebook is not a Banking Institution or a Law Enforcement Organisation where proof of my identification is required. I am not a terrorist or a threat to anyone in anyway, and therefore I dont beleive that I should have to submit to this request.

So unless you can prove otherwise, and can justify your request for me to submit identification, I beleive your request is invalid, it is an infringement, and an unreasonable request. I know of many people out there not using their real names and have never been questioned about this.

If this has anything to do with any political posts I may have made, shared, or commented on, that are against the grain of public opinion or what society has been led to beleive is true, then please state so, man-up, and call it what it is. I would appreciate it if a Facebook representative could contact me on my email address with a phone number so we could discuss this in person. else Mark Zuckerberg and his CIA "data-mining"accomplices can go and suck on a fresh one!

As my little protest to their request.

Would appreciate any advice and opinions on this matter....has anyone else encountered similar?

This bit of information makes me much happier that I removed myself from that retched "social network" as it is called, more like a spy network. Anyways I too was vocal often times about my own distrust of the government and police forces, which invariably had landed me on the watch list and as such cannot leave the country without a thorough search and I am often subject to police brutality when my name comes up on record due to my perceived threat level. I'm not saying this to sound courageous or anything of the sort but rather to warn you that agencies are very much watching what is posted on social media, I have also had a friend of mine pulled off the street and questioned at gun point regarding my whereabouts and have had friends often tell me they've been stopped and had police ask them of my whereabouts..but that is best left for another thread perhaps

You are not alone of that one. Trust. I don't have a phone right now for that very reason.

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 12:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bybyots
The best advice that I can offer to anyone that is reading this thread is to:

Suck it up.

Facebook is just slightly ahead of the game. The time will come very soon when you will be required to be who you say you are when operating on computer networks.

You will have a single login backed by credentials that you pay to have vetted and stored so that they can be retrieved at a moments notice.

Sorry.

And when that day comes I'm off the internet forever. Simple. I'll miss u guys.

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 01:22 AM
link   
Don't use FB. Never will.
Personally I think all social media sites are bad or will be just as bad as FB.
They get you in, liking it and the rules gradually increase, but you are addicted and comply.

If ats demanded using our real names, how many of us would?

Like the others said, if you don't like their rules then don't go there and be thankful your account is supposedly closed.

As if they will delete your photo ID. No they won't. There are so many people with the exact same name anyways, I fail to see how informing them is of any assistance except to piece together other clues you gave away and nail you down to the right one, should you say something that causes alarm bells to go off

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 01:52 AM
link   
Old school net users. For anything to do with social networking, such as one may call ATS, I chose to use a nickname if I am willing to participate. Figure if you have to use FB, don't use it a lot, to say you may be less likely to get on any kind of reported list(which may occur for some) or attention for them to ask you for proof of your real name. I could be wrong, but either way seems that these networking sites goal to have all real names, attached to timelines.

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 02:55 AM
link   
I like how people bitch about a service when it's actually the users of it ruining the damned thing. I see the same thing on video games all the time. People will call the game trash because they suck at it or people are better than them at it.

And as for all those permissions, they are only one way. For example, the camera permissions: they can only access your camera when you choose to upload a photo via the take photo option. They can't use it to freaking spy on you. Get over yourself.

You people are all so paranoid that everything that tries to keep your privacy in check seems to be a ploy to do the opoosite. Not every service can stop the crazy people from reaching you, but it doesn't mean they themselves are doing it. They can get in big trouble if caught, contrary to the popular belief everybody with certain amounts of power is in on it. Don't do anything wrong and they won't dig up your information.

And as for getting banned for not following the rules, you're just plain stupid if you think you can get way with breaking those rules forever, no matter how small. If you don't want to get hassled or in trouble, here's a novel idea: FOLLOW THE RULES.

I honestly think deep inside, we all hate people who have come to certain positions of power and wealth, because none of us are willing to put in the work to attain the same status. We'd rather just cry wolf and corruption and hope some made up entity in the sky is going to feel bad for us and save us from our poverty. No. Save your damn self. They're not doing anything wrong, you are.

I still use facebook, I have for four years. I only had one problem the whole time, and it was solved using the block button. I will continue to use facebook, for it is not a useless service. It does not infringe upon my rights. The app permissions are all totally understandable for functionality. And as long as I don't threaten the government, I don't think the government is going to care enough to take my information.

edit on 0149k3 by Lynk3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 05:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: Lynk3
I like how people bitch about a service when it's actually the users of it ruining the damned thing. I see the same thing on video games all the time. People will call the game trash because they suck at it or people are better than them at it.

How exactly, as in this thread, are people ruining Facebook?

And as for getting banned for not following the rules, you're just plain stupid if you think you can get way with breaking those rules forever, no matter how small. If you don't want to get hassled or in trouble, here's a novel idea: FOLLOW THE RULES.

You are missing the point here. People have less and less options due to FB being the main site that is used for social media. Now the site's users, such as with long time site members who were using stage names, are having their privacy taken away affecting their job searches(and more as expressed at the source below).

Facebook's nymwars appears to be disproportionately targeting at-risk communities; the policy has always been in place but not enforced -- and is now being enforced on populations who have safely used Facebook since as far back as 2008.

source

I honestly think deep inside, we all hate people who have come to certain positions of power and wealth, because none of us are willing to put in the work to attain the same status. We'd rather just cry wolf and corruption and hope some made up entity in the sky is going to feel bad for us and save us from our poverty. No. Save your damn self. They're not doing anything wrong, you are.

Right. We all just hate Zuckerberg because he is wealthy, so we take it out on his service? Just like people who don't like Youtube stars made into pop stars must be jealous of them?

Hardly that at all. Once again, missing the point here.

I still use facebook, I have for four years. I only had one problem the whole time, and it was solved using the block button. I will continue to use facebook, for it is not a useless service. It does not infringe upon my rights. The app permissions are all totally understandable for functionality. And as long as I don't threaten the government, I don't think the government is going to care enough to take my information.

As long as you don't threaten the government, no one will watch you?

Tell that to the people who become put on watch lists, such as they could no fly on a plane(actually we have a member right here on ATS if you want evidence)because they looked at a websites or were engaged in conspiracy conversation on sites(such as FB), for or against it certain conspiracy topics about the government, they were guilty of association.

edit on 13-9-2014 by dreamingawake because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 06:19 AM
link   
Facebook did this to me also back in march of 2011, 3 times in a row before i just gave up.

each time i used a different email account and different fake name, each time the account was shut down within a week, same message, i must provide a photo copy of my government issued id to unlock my account, which i logically refuse to do.

the first account i had lasted a bit longer, had it for probably bout a month before it got locked out, it had 3 close irl friends on it, thats it. thats the only purpose for the accounts, i just wanted a way to contact a few friends who dont have phones. however one of them was vocally in the occupy movement.

my friends wouldnt believe me that facebook was doing this so i took a screenshot, held on to it all this time for whenever a friend asks me why im not on there, i show them why.

oi60.tinypic.com...

BTW i see people posting that the option to provide a cell phone number is a private alternative, it isnt, the entire purpose of providing the cell phone number is again to identify you, as you have identified yourself to your cell phone provider,facebook asks AT&T does ***-***-**** belong to John Smith? AT&T replies yes or no, if no then account still remains locked.

i see people mentioning google+ as an alternative, i was invited into google+ when it was closed to invite only participants, i too was hopefully it could be a private alternative, unfortunately but not surprisingly, google does the same tactics, requires you to identify yourself, either by phone or id.

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 06:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: MrSpad
Facebook requires you to use your real name so other people can not pretend to be you or other people. With as so many people using Facebood scamming people while pretending to be other people is common. It also provides Facebook with legal protection so they can say they are doing something about it. So that is why it is a rule. If you do not like it do not use it.

But everyone also knows that Mr. Z has elevated himself from those who have helped him become so wealthy, and decided to forgo all concerns for member's privacy rights when giving the NSA illegal free reign to use and abuse all the data of private citizens, and in defending himself for his abhorrent abrogation of honoring the constitution, (which is an inherent responsibility of all Americans to defend), he say's "But it was a really BIG check!"

Hence, the unspoken True reason for this rule being forced on people.

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 07:53 AM
link   
When I cancel out of any system's profile, I first change all my personal information and leave it that way for a while, then I opt out. Hopefully the fake info is what is left in their data base after I'm gone. Some crappy websites don't even have a way to opt out and and so FUD (F-ed Up Data) has to be used.

I recently canceled my FB account, but I first untagged everything I could, deleted all photos and comments, deleted all friends after announcing to the important ones I was leaving, used FUD information and added some nasty comments toward FB in my account data. The facial recognition FB announced they were going to use was the final straw for me.

Recently I went back to FB with a phoney profile, during the sign up process they asked for home town, school, current residence, and I began to fill those out with reasonable fake info when I noticed I could opt out with a button on that page. I opted out, but the info I started to use showed up on my profile anyway. Also, they wanted a real name when I used my regular handle, so I made up one that sounded real and that got through. My only reason to come back to FB was to network on the prepper and survivalist web groups, and I never look at or mention any other real members I had as friends, nor do I check out pages or groups I had with the old account.

No one has asked me for ID yet, but if they do I have the skills to offer an ID that would put Obama's to shame. I may use this self invented strawman as my alias in real life situations where I may need to use it as FB can verify my fake existence.

The thing is, everyone I know is on FB and my own family members on there wouldn't even call me or send an email after I announced that I was leaving and messaged my relatives with my normal contact information. Even when I email them, I rarely get a reply. No on seems to want to bother with you unless you make a FB comment these days. After that, I don't feel bad about missing my relative's birthdays anymore.

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Yes. Went through this some time ago - they demanded that I provide them with my real name, birthdate etc., and 3 pieces of ID, including photo ID. I explained that I am "old school" and believe in the necessity to protect my identity from theft on the internet - explained I have been using "soficrow" for over a decade. They referred to their "Terms of Use" and didn't budge. I would not comply, and asked them to delete my account, but they still haven't. My account is still there and I haven't been able to get in for years.

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 10:02 AM
link   
They've never had your photo ID before, so how will it 'help' them now, if not for selling your name and current address?

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 10:18 AM
link   
Its illegal to use a fake name on social media sites because its a breach in contract even though many people do it.

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 10:25 AM
link   
oh and another thing. When you log into Facebook the IP address for the Department of Defence shows up as connecting to my computer. It does that to everyone i presume. You just have to check.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join