It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Study tips?

page: 1

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 11:02 AM
The school that I attend runs on a slightly different calendar than most, which means for me, I have finals this month...yay!

This normally wouldn't post a problem. Now however, it's the "final of finals" so to say. Basically the program that I'm in runs three years and at the end of the three years, you take four tests, covering the major areas of the field (which happens to be theology), covering the material over the past three years. Crazy, I know.

I have two of the tests behind me. The third is coming up on Monday. No matter what I do, I can't seem to retain the information that I have to learn, or, maybe better stated, I can't really stay concentrated enough to study. The best way to say it I think is that my brain is too tired/oversaturated. This is really bad, since the test on Monday is probably the hardest of the four!

Now, my question for you. What are some tips/tricks/whatever that you know of that could pull me out of this slump so that I have a reasonable chance of passing the exam?

Thanks in advance for your answers and good thoughts/prayers.

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 11:09 AM
a reply to: octotom

Post cards or notes left around the house did it for me. Or association. So for example for the periodic table If I wanted to remember that FE was iron. I'd think "FEmale" (sorry was just my way of learning haha) This only works for retaining specific info though, so wouldn't be very useful for English exams for example.

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 11:35 AM

As a student for THEOLOGY - you should PRAY. Or meditate.

And sleep. Avoid coffee (flushes all the vitamins off your system). Prefer orange juice (gives you C-vitamin, which beefs you up).

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 12:01 PM

Sleep is imperative, it allows the brain to process information, file it away so to speak. Everyone has their 'trigger' mine is music, I studied whilst putting various elements to relevant songs and changing the lyrics accordingly, even wrote a few songs for some specific very important stuff, I had fun and learned at the same time.

I'm not saying that will work for you however.

You need to break your routine, go and do something to revitalise your brain, almost trick it into thinking it's starting to learn rather than a continuation. Do something crazy and wake yourself up a bit.

Just my 2 cents

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 12:29 PM
Naps and fresh air outdoors between study sessions can clear clogged areas of the brain. Then when you return to the books, remember that you retain more by hearing than by reading so I would read it out loud, even trying to find a rhythm to it at times in order for it to sink in better. I also would make up jingo phrases that defined the major topic points I wanted to include. Above all, a good night's sleep after a prayer session is what I'd suggest. All the best on the test!

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 12:50 PM
a reply to: deckdel
I have that covered.
I think I'm going to go get some orange juice now.

The only bad part is that it's not as good here as back home in Florida...but it will do!

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 02:07 PM

Here's an exercise that will help you expand your mind's capacity to study and retain information. You need to know that every bit of information that you'll commit to learning will create new brain synapses; these synapses will reinforce each other systemically and dynamically. This is a visualization exercise:

You're tired. You've been reading and re-reading information for days. You feel exhausted by the sheer volume of the information that must be reviewed for your exam. It feels overwhelming.

Take a step back and picture your brain.

Picture everything that you know and have learned in your theological studies.

Recognize that you control your brain and the process of learning.

Picture what you have learned already and begin to group everything you have learned about theology into one area of your mind.

Picture yourself as a mental detective roping this one area off in yellow caution tape.

This is the realm of what you know. Don't worry about this information- you can access it whenever you want. You have total recall of this information.

You are currently standing within the confines of this caution tape. Now, Look out beyond the caution tape- you will see a blank canvas of the mind. It is blank terrain waiting to be contracted for use.

Slip underneath the caution tape.

Start walking away from everything you have already learned.

Walk until you you are in a completely empty area, far away from everything you've already learned.

Take a seat and open your notes. This area of the brain is yours for cultivating and developing additional information for studying purposes.

Personality psychology is just now catching up to what theologians have known all along- the power of belief can change everything. You're going to do just fine on your exam.

Lastly, don't cram tomorrow. The best thing you can do for yourself is eat a great and hearty meal on Sunday (early evening) and get a great night's sleep on Sunday night, feeling totally sure that you've put your best effort into studying. You'll do just fine.

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 02:55 PM

Write down the notes with your other hand, the less dominate one. It is what I have started to do in algebra and science (my two worst subjects).

You have to take your time, looking at it, writing it, it seems to help me some in remembering and has so far worked in boosting my test scores up a whole letter grade.

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 03:02 PM

Whatever you do don't eat anything a few days prior and especially the night before/morning of that will spike your insulin, such as junk food, sugary foods, mashed potatoes, white bread. This will make you drowsy and hinder your concentration.

Eat an apple before your test as this raises your energy and concentration levels. And eat a high protein breakfast, eggs, a piece of meat, fish - without the added glazes which contain sugar.

Have baroque music on while studying - this has been proven to help immensely. Study with specific fragrances like peppermint, cloves, rosemary. And have a rose scent while you sleep.

Check this out - excellent tips here.

Good luck!

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 03:03 PM
Study a particular part of the topic you want to learn (something you could learn in say 15 mins).

Grab a pen and write down what you have learnt in a way that you could teach somebody else that very same topic.

If you consider you are unable to clearly put across what you have learnt, then re-study until you are able to do so.

"If you can't explain something properly, then you don't fully understand it", said someone.

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 03:15 PM

I swore by flash cards when I was in college and without them I would have never passed the anatomy or physiology courses required to get in to the Nursing Program. I'm not sure what the course material for your classes and major is like or if flash cards would even work. I had my husband and friends help me write them out and used front and back so I could quiz myself.

I would start with the first flash card, then move to the second. Before moving to the third, I go back to the first and second, then move to the third. Before moving to the fourth card, I'd review the first three and then continue through all the cards in that fashion. It was quite time consuming but repetition really helps me retain information.

I also never crammed and would give myself quizzes and study flash cards throughout the semester. There's also something to be said about the power of positive thinking.

Make sure to get lots if rest before finals and eat breakfast on the days of your tests.

Good luck! You're going to do great!
edit on 12-9-2014 by Jennyfrenzy because: eta

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 03:16 AM
I am a teacher and these are just some of the ideas I give my students. I try to give them several ideas because people have different learning styles and some methods work better for some than others.

1. Record your notes onto you I-pod and listen to them whilst travelling to school/shops/anywhere you go. The information goes into your brain twice - once while speaking it and once while hearing it.

2. Write ONE important idea/concept/key word/definition per post-it note and then stick these notes up around your life - the mirror where you brush your teeth, the fridge door, the place you hang your house keys, the telly remote control, the outside lock of your front door over the keyhole, your steering wheel etc (you get the idea)

3. Mind maps - get the biggest piece of paper you can find and create a mind map of your topic

4. Colour! When reading your notes highlight important stuff in colour. Or write your revision notes in different coloured pens.

5. Ask for help from a buddy - read or revise a small section and then hand them your notes and ask them to question you. The buddy does not need to know anything about the subject, just how to form a question from something they have read in your notes. E.g they read the sentence "during photosynthesis plants convert carbon dioxide and water into glucose and oxygen". They have no idea about photosynthesis but someone with reasonable intelligence could formulate the question "what do plants convert into what during photosynthesis?"

6. More buddy help - teach them something. If they are a real friend wanting to help it matters not whether they are interested in learning your stuff but are willing to give you the time. In fact better still if they know nothing about your topic as long as they are willing to help. If you can explain it to them without your notes and they understand it, even asking a few questions to get you to clarify points you make, then this really helps you check your own knowledge.

Good luck with the test!

new topics

top topics