It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U2 invades all Apple products with their new album without your consent!

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 09:46 PM
link   
a reply to: mblahnikluver

This pisses me off. My timezone got screwed up too, waking me up 1.5 hrs for work too. Holy #, I'm just glad it was early and not late.

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 04:08 PM
link   
So I'm watching football and some U2 comes on. It's "music" from their free album.

No wonder you're all complaining. It's AWFUL.

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 07:25 PM
link   
a reply to: tadaman

Oh, it feels great to me. I think its funny. Now folks who've traded, shared (illegally), downloaded their stuff without THEIR permission...gets to see how it feels.

I think perhaps musical groups should all start flooding mailboxes and apps with their stuff...without being asked permission.

*Yes, I am a musician, songwriter and owner of copyrights and one trademark. Even so...I SUPPORT SHARING. I always have, and will continue to support that issue.

I SUPPORT FILE SHARING (this would be just to make a point).

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 08:20 PM
link   

Ok wow. I didn't expect this many replies. I haven't been on here in a couple days so it will take me some time to get through the replies.

For the record I did check out the links to Appple's T&C's which many posted on the first page. The iPhone was given to me and I don't remember consenting to anything. I don't use iTunes. I did consent on my desktop to Apple's T&C's but I honestly only skimmed them.

I understand that many have said but I agreed to their terms and conditions but it's just weird to me that they can do such a thing. It just makes me wonder what else they can do.

I remember a while back when Java was having issues. Well Apple disabled Java on all their products! I remember being like wth is going on with my computer until I saw the posts in my newsfeed from Apple. There was even a page on their website explaining what they did and why. I guess they were looking out for their customers but I find it just a tad creepy they can do such things. I'm a big Apple fan, anyone who knows me knows this. Now I may be a fan but it doesn't mean I agree with all the things they do. I just prefer their product and find it more enjoyable than the other options.

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 08:38 PM
link   

It goes beyond Apple, Apple just happens to be one of the worst because they reserve the right to remotely disable any program run on one of their products which is one hell of a backdoor to leave in when it comes to possible security or control risks. Other companies have rather poor service agreements too for example Adobe includes in the license agreement to use a flash player that they may use your camera and microphone to pick up information for them to use for marketing purposes. The camera on Kinect will scan your home for items and send Microsoft data on what brands you purchase.

These may sound like little things to you, but there's a whole area of psychology based around the idea of brand identities, and by determining what brands a person buys they can be psychoanalyzed in order to create more effective targeted marketing when it's used for benign purposes and it gets downright evil when paired with behavioral science or sold to a government database to determine how each individual will react to any certain policy.

You would think these things wouldn't be allowed but practically anything can be included in an EULA, and an EULA can even be changed after purchase, they just have to lock you out of the software unless you agree again. They don't even have to tell you what terms they changed. If you remember the Sony hack that happened a couple years back, that was in response to Sony remotely disabling a bunch of PS3's because they decided to drop support for one of the main features of the PS3 (that it could run Linux). Sony simply updated their license agreement, told the owners they didn't have the right to modify their own device anymore, and that was that. Seeing as how the hacker community loves Linux they got pissed.
edit on 16-9-2014 by Aazadan because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 08:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan

It goes beyond Apple. For example Adobe includes in the license agreement to use a flash player that they may use your camera and microphone to pick up information for them to use for marketing purposes. The camera on Kinect will scan your home for items and send Microsoft data on what brands you purchase.

Ok whaaaaat?! That's crazy! I have actually out a head band over my camera because well I'm slightly paranoid someone could be watching. It's scary to think they can and do so such things.

These may sound like little things to you, but there's a whole area of psychology based around the idea of brand identities, and by determining what brands a person buys they can be psychoanalyzed in order to create more effective targeted marketing when it's used for benign purposes and it gets downright evil when paired with behavioral science or sold to a government database to determine how each individual will react to any certain policy.

Oh I don't find it little at all. I see the big picture with it and I don't like it. It's scary because it will only get more invasive. I

You would think these things wouldn't be allowed but practically anything can be included in an EULA, and an EULA can even be changed after purchase, they just have to lock you out of the software unless you agree again.

Well again that's scary. I know I don't always read the terms for such things and I know most people don't. It's like they get you no matter what. If you disagree then you can't use the product so you are basically forces to agree.

They don't even have to tell you what terms they changed. If you remember the Sony hack that happened a couple years back, that was in response to Sony remotely disabling a bunch of PS3's because they decided to drop support for one of the main features of the PS3 (that it could run Linux). Sony simply updated their license agreement, told the owners they didn't have the right to modify their own device anymore, and that was that. Seeing as how the hacker community loves Linux they got pissed.

Wow! I remember that happening because I had friends who freaked out but I never knew why or what caused it. That's nuts.

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 05:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: opethPA
Exactly why is this a big deal ?

1. Fans of the band get something for free
2. Non-fans of the band dont have to download it.

Isn't that a win-win?

originally posted by: jtrenthacker
Did anybody bother reading the part where it is an optional download? Anybody asks a legitimate question about an Apple product or even mentions Apple and its 3 pages of bitching about Apple. I think non-Apple users pay attention to Apple products more than the Apple users do. I use both Windows/Android and Apple products daily and they both have their negatives and positives. It comes down to personal preference. One is not superior in every way to the other. Never has been, never will be.

I never use iTunes on my phone (only from my PC to transfer 'my' music to the phone), and I've never in my life downloaded any music from the 'cloud'. All the music on my phone is from my own collection that is on my PC. I was unpleasantly surprised that the first song that played on my phone the other morning was a U2 song. I believe it was streaming to my phone as I haven't downloaded it, but seeing as I never stream off iTunes, is this a setting perhaps checked by default?

I don't know, but I wasn't happy to have this playing on my phone. Yes, a very minor problem in the scheme of things, but one that did waste some time as I had to work out how to delete this. I have always chosen what music plays on my phone, and this did violate that, and I feel if somehow this horrible music is automatically going to play, then yes, I do have justication in being annoyed.

To other posters calling out the OP for her choice of phone, and suggesting it is because of wanting to be cool, isn't that a bit ridiculous and childish? I have a couple of Apple products, and plenty of non-Apple hardware, and none of it is to do with cool, but a lot is to do with being a musician and wanting tools that work.
edit on 17-9-2014 by cuckooold because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join