It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Patriot Act2 Example

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 09:11 PM
link   

Jacksonville TV news crew accused of violating security zone
JACKSONVILLE, Fla. (AP) � Three members of a Jacksonville television news crew have been accused by the U.S. Coast Guard of violating a security zone along the St. Johns River while working on a story.

WTEV TV-47 said it was working on a follow-up Nov. 22 to a story that aired on Nov. 4 detailing what they said was lax security at the port.

Coast Guard officials said British Petroleum authorities reported suspicious activity of three people in a boat with a video camera filming operations at the BP Fuel Terminal.

A Coast Guard crew located and boarded the vessel and found it was a television news crew investigating the area's maritime security. The news crew and the boat owner were questioned and told they had violated a federal security zone.

Coast Guard spokesman Dana Warr said the owner of the vessel also was cited for not having a personal floatation device and not having a charged fire extinguisher.

Susan Adams Loyd, vice president and general manager of WTEV, said the station has "absolutely broken no laws."

Could this be considered an example of the Patriot Act2 at it's most basic level. Would the news media be "fair game" too?
Might be an effective tool to control the media.

posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 09:55 PM
link   
A news crew doing an expose on lax port security and getting busted by that security.

I am actually relieved in a way. The Coast Guard did exactly what they were supposed to do - be on alert for and investigate any suspicious activity.

Great story.

B.

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 03:14 AM
link   
Sounds OK to me. I don't care what you call it - Patriot Act2 or whatever. The Coast Guard did the right thing, protecting our coast line, esp. where there is a fuel depot.

Good job, Coast Guard. WTEV TV-47, you're busted.

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 03:32 AM
link   
Has the Patriot Act 2 been signed yet? Let me know when it does, so I can retreat to my cave....

top topics

join