It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scottish Independence and Mel Gibson

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 10:24 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Quite significant. I won an Academy Award for my portrayal of Abraham Lincoln.

Like I said, difference between the truth and lies nowadays is amusing.

Done with this scene.

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 10:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

The character in the film is a joke and had very little to do with Wallace, it was just a chance for that moron Gibson to chew up scenery.

I see, and your achievements in the film industry amount to what, again?

Always amused by the distinctions people make between whats real and whats fake. Over all, that film is exemplary. Complaining about how poor it is is well, a piece of work.

I already said its just a movie.

William Wallace or should i say Mel Gibson, the first Scotsman to wear a kilt 300 years before anyone else. Gibson couldn't even get the basics right.

I wonder why Gibson's film ended before it showed the defeat and then execution of Wallace ? Anyone can cherry pick the heroic parts of historic characters. What next? Adolf Hitler a good guy because he built German Autobahns and gave the German masses the VW car.

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Like I said, difference between the truth and lies nowadays is amusing.

Glad I can amuse you. I will probably win an Emmy for best lead in a comedy so I can then pass judgment on TV shows I do not like.

Done with this scene.

Fine with me, then me and Monty can play whack-a-mole with bigot boy Gibson all we want.

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 10:43 AM
link   
a reply to: alldaylong

Gibson couldn't even get the basics right.

Its just a movie. Is that like the third time I said that?

What next? Adolf Hitler a good guy because he built German Autobahns and gave the German masses the VW car.

Bite your tongue. Hitler didn't build anything but misery and death.

The industrial war machine that arose from his mind did however develop the first cruise missile (V1 or Buzz Bomb), the first ballistic long range missile (V2), the jet aircraft, guided missiles and RDX, the explosive ingredient in C4. They called it cyclonite. I won't go into Blitzkrieg…

These inventions and many more were adopted and further developed by the next industrial military complex (factories for war) in the US of A. What does that say about how well this country has followed in the foot steps of weapons development arising out of the ashes of WWII Germany?

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 10:44 AM
link   
a reply to: helldiver

Really? So why do we have an independence referendum next week?

So that Alex Salmond can seal his place in Scottish history as father of the nation.

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 10:46 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 10:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Whenever I see him he nauseates me to the point I end up rooting for the English, even though I should be rooting for the Scots. Gibson is a giant tool bag.

Want my support? Give me some bagpipes playing Scotland the Brave.

Boy...you're in rare form today. It was a good movie and so was Mad Max, that cop movie with Danny Glover was fantastic too. These were classic movies.

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Gibson couldn't even get the basics right.

Its just a movie. Is that like the third time I said that?

What next? Adolf Hitler a good guy because he built German Autobahns and gave the German masses the VW car.

Bite your tongue. Hitler didn't build anything but misery and death.

The industrial war machine that arose from his mind did however develop the first cruise missile (V1 or Buzz Bomb), the first ballistic long range missile (V2), the jet aircraft, guided missiles and RDX, the explosive ingredient in C4. They called it cyclonite. I won't go into Blitzkrieg…

These inventions and many more were adopted and further developed by the next industrial military complex (factories for war) in the US of A. What does that say about how well this country has followed in the foot steps of weapons development arising out of the ashes of WWII Germany?

The Jet aircraft was a British invention.

As i said, you can cherry pick the good and bad of any historical character. Wallace was not seen by all as a freedom fighter but as a terrorist.

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 10:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: Harvin
Boy...you're in rare form today. It was a good movie and so was Mad Max, that cop movie with Danny Glover was fantastic too. These were classic movies.

Mad Max was okay. The other two make me want to punch the television.

Oh, and for it is worth, I am always in rare form.

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 11:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: Harvin

Mad Max was okay. The other two make me want to punch the television.

Oh, and for it is worth, I am always in rare form.

Ha ha, yeah i was reading the other thread on U2. I was a kid when Mad Max came out and it blew me away. Any Max' after that i didnt care for either.

As far as the OP, i bet the Scotland stay with Britain but i really dont know much about that. I hope they dont do what they did to the Irish because that was not right.

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 11:08 AM
link   
a reply to: [post=18405832]alldaylong[/post
Is a terrible film but pretty sure it does show his execution.
Still has nothing to do with the referendum.

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 11:13 AM
link   
I would like to muddy the waters here by reminding some people that at the battle of Colluden, (I think its spelled that way) the 'Highlanders' were beaten by 'lowland' Scots, there were very few English troops, it really was a case of Scots killing Scots, especially after the battle when the highland Scots wounded were 'finished off' then there was the harrying of the highlands afterwards,as bad as the English and their 'civil' wars.!

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 11:18 AM
link   
a reply to: pikestaff
Culloden was however about 400 years after Wallace. Also very little to do with Scotland as was a battle for the British crown, just happened both sides used the Scots to fight.

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Definition of Irony;

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 12:47 PM
link   
He's racist?

I think the Scots should be careful as to not get fooled. Mel Gibson is the man on screen. Great actor! and film maker. Passion of the Christ was brilliant.

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 01:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Fylgje
He's racist?

I think the Scots should be careful as to not get fooled. Mel Gibson is the man on screen. Great actor! and film maker. Passion of the Christ was brilliant.

Yes he is racist

www.theguardian.com...

As for his acting ability, he is one of the most " wooden " actors i have ever had the displeasure to witness.
My cat could do a better job.

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 01:30 PM
link   
I think Gallipoli was a good film he was in, watched it when I was young and the final scenes of the blokes going 'over the top' of their trenches knowing they would be killed shows the dark human tragedy and horror of war to me. Add the backgound music of Adagio for strings and it gets me every time.

Regarding that Braveheart clip though, it almost become an internet meme to me when loads of US members were posting it in Scottish independence threads so much. The referendum has educated many people about how the UK is made up and how we all get along as the dysfuntional family sometimes.
That said, if Scotland becomes independant I will still live on the same island, the English bit, and I was born/raised on the Welsh bit.
I will always support Scotland over say France or Germany, we've got more in common with each other and much more to lose. I know the Republic of Ireland is a sovereign nation like France or Germany, but I never think of my Irish friends as foreign, and I'll feel the same about my Scottish mates if they go, even if our passports tell us otherwise.

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 01:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: gortex
a reply to: helldiver

Really? So why do we have an independence referendum next week?

So that Alex Salmond can seal his place in Scottish history as father of the nation.

So you're bringing the whole thing down to one man? Thats a bit narrow minded, no? Theres a bigger picture here you know!?

Just a reminder here folks. Alex Salmond aint guaranteed an SNP government in the event of an iScotland.

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 02:18 PM
link   
So this thread is basically..
“I hate the idea of Scottish independence because Mel Gibson is an actor that makes a lot of movies where the Brits are the bad guys and I hate him for it”
Okay,
I am of Scottish decent my family came over to the US a long time ago, but while I love the idea of the connection to my ancestral home I do not presume to tell the Scots how to vote on the 18th. Just like I would appreciate it if UK citizens would keep their opinions about US political matters to themselves.
That said I have a hard time denying the idea of independence for any people who wish it.
Just make sure that if you go your own way that you truly embrace freedom. What’s the difference if your master sits in London or Edinburgh? Get rid of as much government control as you can, and you will be much better off.

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 02:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Dragoon01
Just like I would appreciate it if UK citizens would keep their opinions about US political matters to themselves.

That's a tad harsh considering US politics actually effects people all over the World.

Perhaps you could ask your President to keep his opinions to himself when the UK are discussing having a referendum on leaving the EU. He was pretty vocal on his views about this.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join