It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Getting Awards for Underachieving - Mundane life blown to sensationalism via Twiiter

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 03:25 AM
link   
www.businessinsider.in...

Philadelphia Eagles Player Who Left A 20-Cent Tip At A Restaurant Says He Would Do It Again

So here is public incident blown up in the Twitter-verse, a twitcident if you will... Philly running back LeSean McCoy got bad service at a restaurant so he purposely left a $0.20 tip. The establishment, or the server (not sure who) published the receipt on their Facebook page, which then went to a war of tweets on twitter.

No twats were harmed in the making of this story.

Boncho doesn't like a few things from this story=

1. That it is a story at all, it's not a story, it shouldn't be a story. The story is not even the story now, it's the twits and twats that follow.

2. Any establishment that calls out its customers by posting receipts on public media show their character. As far as I'm concerned as long as someone didn't 'dine and dash' you have no right to post anything about your customers without their consent.

^That's a strict rule at any establishments I've owned. Customer's privacy is no.1, even if you don't like them. Did they steal? No problem, post their face on lampposts for all I care. Did they try the ol "There's a hair in my soup" routine enough times to get caught (fraud, again...theft) go ahead and let everyone know what kind of person they are. But short tip or no tip? That's where you look in on your employees and how they're doing their job. Granted, every now and then you get some real cheap bastards. You might get some obnoxious ones too. But you don't know the day they are having and you don't know them all that well. Best thing you can do is be polite and hope next time goes better. If they cross a line then it becomes another matter, you are supposed to be the ones putting smiles on their faces though, not the other way around.

4. The back and forth on twitter, really? Why do people care about this crap? The server says he forgot something but McCoy was rude, tough bamboo shoots, you forgot something. Trying to blame the customer after he screwed up. McCoy has to make a bunch of tweets to explain his actions, he shouldn't really. Goes on to explain about his order and says he'd do it again, since it was a message.

5. Charlie Sheen. Charlie sheen, the drunken, high, unicorn fart sniffing hero to every disillusioned bi-polar imbecile, pledges $1000 to the server. Hashtag: "#NoJudgement"

No judgement? What the hell. Sorry, but you should judge people. That's why a tip is customary, discretionary... I hated when my crap servers got tips because they never earned it and there was 2 hard working employees that did deserve it for every bad one. Sometimes it gives the servers a kick in the pants if tips are low too, it's good practice.

Charlie Sheen, congrats on giving people awards on mediocrity. And to the rest of the estrogen-brigade posting receipts to the same shameful establishment, congrats on supporting a business that bitches about its customers when they don't get what they want. (Hope you realize you support extorion.)

This world needs a freaking reset button.
edit on 12-9-2014 by boncho because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 03:39 AM
link   
a reply to: boncho

Call me a crusty old fart...

But I'll never understand the interest and fascination people have with this Twitter/Facebook crap.

Everybody wants to be a 'Honey Boo Boo' with their 15 seconds of fame.

It's neverending mindless garbage like this that makes me want to throw my rocking chair at the first passerby.

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 03:43 AM
link   
a reply to: CranialSponge

What a crusty old fart you are.

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 04:07 AM
link   
a reply to: AnonyMason

I know, right ?!

I'm going to form COFU (Crusty Old Farts Union). We'll rally together every Saturday afternoon (tea time) and wave our canes around flapping our dentures about how pathetically useless this world has become.

... right after we play a couple games of Bingo to get the ol' juices flowing.

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 04:12 AM
link   
a reply to: CranialSponge

I'll bring the mint jullips. We can play bridge and laugh at youngsters and their new fangled internet doo dads.

**Shakes fist in anger**

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 04:18 AM
link   
It's that entitlement mentality - the server thinks it's his right to decide whether he deserves someone elses money.

Also he is just a total dick who obviously doesn't understand reality, never mind tipping tradition and custom.

And so are all the muppets coming to his defence - shame because I sort of liked Charlie Sheen - Mainly for his crazyness!

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 05:36 AM
link   

It is total nonsense like this, which has lead me to refuse to ever have a Facebook, or a Tw(atter)itter account.

Between the fact that everyone I know who has one, has no impulse control what so ever, and therefore is constantly hunched over their mobile devices, fiddling with their accounts, and chatting with people they have never met, or are absent from their immediate physical space, rather than living in the moment, and the fact that they are both mind rot in binary form, I see no reason to change that stance.

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 06:03 AM
link   
I think anyone who gives a bad tip is a cheapskate looking for excuses. I am also glad this cheapskate was called out. Minimum tip is more than %15. People have to tip out bartenders, busboys etc... this man with plenty of money cost his server money.

He should be ashamed!

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 06:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: Iamthatbish
I think anyone who gives a bad tip is a cheapskate looking for excuses. I am also glad this cheapskate was called out. Minimum tip is more than %15. People have to tip out bartenders, busboys etc... this man with plenty of money cost his server money.

He should be ashamed!

Just because that customer has plenty of money, it does not entitle a lousy server to get a tip for lousy service. The service has to be REALLY BAD for me to not leave a tip and in all my years I have only done it once. I have been a waitress, I know how hard it is but I also know that when you work for tips you have to be on your game. Sure you have cheapskates but most people are not that.

I actually despise going to places that have a mandatory tip built into the bill. Not everybody does deserve a tip and to have to give one for extraordinarily sucky service sucks itself.

So if the service was bad, I applaud the man for not tipping. A tip is a thank you for nice service. No nice service... No tip for you.
edit on 9/12/2014 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 06:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Kangaruex4Ewe

So you think a person should pay to serve you too? Do you understand how the restaurant business works?

Bad service isn't fun. Write a letter, make a phone call. It shouldn't cost a person money.

ETA a tip used to be a thank you for service. Now its the persons paycheck.
edit on 12-9-2014 by Iamthatbish because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 07:02 AM
link   

So you think a person should pay to serve you too? Do you understand how the restaurant business works?

Bad service isn't fun. Write a letter, make a phone call. It shouldn't cost a person money.

ETA a tip used to be a thank you for service. Now its the persons paycheck.

Do you even understand that nobody should expect a tip. Ever?

I have indeed lived on tips and have been grateful for them. I didn't act like a dumbass or provide poor service when I was having to live off of them either. That's the point.

If you have a pisspoor waiter/waitress that is costing others money, I can guarantee you that somebody is going to say something so that either the service improves or they find new help.

I can't help who has to tip out who. Do your job and you get a tip. Be a f#*!@ up and don't. It's simple. I don't condone and reward bad behavior in my kids, why in the hell would I pay a reward for bad behavior from strangers?

It's not my concern if it's someone's paycheck. You earn a paycheck. Earn your tip. Same thing.
edit on 9/12/2014 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 07:15 AM
link   

I understand why you have that opinion however its from the past. Now when companies are training and doing their pay they count on tips and pass that to the employees.

How can a person that has to tip out others based on their sales not count on tips?

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 07:32 AM
link   
I think the lack of understanding how the restaurant business has changed is the reason we see mandatory tips. When I was a server, I always took them off. I did better without them. The problem is people that think its alright to have a server pay to serve them.

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 01:44 PM
link   

He should be ashamed!

This is what McCoy said:

"Just to be honest, like I'm always, I tip on my service. I think there's a difference between good service and bad service or just having a bad day. There's a big difference with just being rude and disrespectful. That's how that went," McCoy said.

McCoy continued, explaining that he believes he is a good tipper.

"In any restaurant I go around in Philadelphia, I tip very well. I'm very respectful," McCoy said. "You can't be disrespectful and just expect somebody to tip you. I don't care who the person is. That's why I left my card, so they could see my name. Simple as that."

If you are even just making an attempt to do your job, apologetic in your mistakes and courteous to your customer, you should still be tipped by the customer.

it sounds like McCoy would have tipped him.

Most people know accidents happen, and people have bad days. But anytime a server is rude or gives attitude Ive seen it many times before, their tip is 0.00

Yes, every now and then you get a cheapskate who looks for excuses.

But myself, I tip 25% for really good service, 20% for regular/average service, 15% for crap service, unnecessary long wait times, forgetting more than one dish, etc. And 0.00 for attitude. As soon as a server argues or says something is not their fault (blame someone or something else) tip is gone.

I get the feeling its the same in this case, and given the owner said it was okay to post the receipt (a shoddy practice as I mentioned before) I don't think any kind of character can be found at this place.

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 01:46 PM
link   

A .20¢ tip prooved that statement false.

However, now this man knows there will be eyes watching his tipping habits. He'll be certain to tip now.

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 01:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Iamthatbish

Minimum tip is more than %15.

Synonym for "tip" is "gratuity" - I understand it's part of their paycheck, but it's optional, and a customer can leave whatever they choose to leave. They have *no* right to mock them on social media - that server should be fired.

I don't like the system as it is - I'm "expected" to leave a tip, even when the server provided terrible, surly service or disgusting food; I've had servers ask for their tips mid-meal, because they were going off-shift, and I've had servers seemingly poach other servers tables. It makes me feel stupid when convention demands I leave 15% to a server who's incompetent or who has a terrible attitude or gross personal hygiene, or engages in anti-social behaviors, like arguing and cursing someone on their cell phone, or making fun of customers behind their backs or whatever.

So, what happens is when I get terrible service is I'm double-penalized - I have to suffer through bad service, and then angry that I'm obligated to leave a tip despite them not deserving it. I'd rather restaurants just pay their servers a wage, bake it into what they charge, and ban tipping altogether - I know it won't change, but I'd rather that system.

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 02:31 PM
link   

A .20¢ tip prooved that statement false.

However, now this man knows there will be eyes watching his tipping habits. He'll be certain to tip now.

So according to you the server could spit in the food and tell him so and he should still tip?

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 02:43 PM
link   
The owner sure is a good story teller:

For starters, I take total and complete responsibility for sharing this receipt. It was not our server's decision, it was mine. I am to blame.
I decided to take action after some serious thought. And while I'd like to apologize to Mr McCoy, I cannot in good conscience do so. I stand by my actions one hundred percent.
Mr McCoy and his three companions came into my place on Monday afternoon, and immediately the whole staff was excited. Mr McCoy is a skilled athlete and is one of our beloved Philadelphia Eagles. A true Philly legend and a sports hero. Understandably my staff was really pumped, especially on the heels of they terrific win the day before. (Go Eagles!).

Mr McCoy and his friend sat inside at a booth next to my management and next to me. They were given excellent service. Impeccable service. If anything, our server was a little nervous as was our food runner, because they are big, big fans.
He and his group, from the moment they sat down, were verbally abusive to our staff in the most insulting ways. The derogatory statements about women and their sheer contempt for the staff serving them wasn't the end, however. After Mr McCoy and his group left I looked over and saw their server, my friend, with his head bowed down and with a very confused look on his face. I took the receipt out of his hand and I couldn't believe that anyone could be so callous. Mr McCoy had left a .03% tip for our staff. Our staff that was beyond excited to see him walk into our burger joint and was excited to serve him. That's twenty cents on a tab of over $60. Twenty cents that our server has to split with the food runner and the bartender. Two dimes from an insulting multimillionaire.

Wow, I wouldn't be surprised if the whole thing was cooked up just for free advertising, social media blast. Think about it, the staff gives them total crap service, the players give a bad tip, and then the owner throws it on Facebook to start a social media scandal.

He's really humble and all trying to name drop all the other athletes he's met:

I bet Mr McCoy is usually an awesome dude. And everyone has their bad days. But I'm from Philly and have had the pleasure of meeting many of our bad ass sports heroes. Ron Jaworski I met as a kid and I love. Iverson I loved. Mike Schmidt! You name 'em. I love all of our athletes past and present. Hometown heroes who treat those below them with some respect. And maybe Mr McCoy was having a "bad day" after his big victory all that, but the reports of him receiving "bad service" is a complete slanderous lie, and my crew here is better than that and deserves better than that.

Yet McCoy, leaves a few words, paraphrasing, 'It was bad service and I tipped accordingly, I usually tip more to people that deserve it.'

bleacherreport.com...

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 02:46 PM
link   
There's a difference between gross unsanitary practices and slow service. The two don't even compare.

I'm sticking with the best response is to call later. Any time a person chooses to not tip, they go from being in the right to being in the wrong.

I also agree it would be better for restaurants to pay their own employees and just raise prices. The end result of the check wouldn't change.

ETA: all your conjecturing is negative towards the server, I think the truth is somewhere in the middle.

I also hope this famous person has difficulty eating out now.
edit on 12-9-2014 by Iamthatbish because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 02:52 PM
link   
This is from the server:

"I wasn’t surprised [by the tip], I saw it coming. They were extremely rude. I kept my cool for as along as I could, where you just don’t want them yelling and cursing you,"

Knelly could not identify the other patrons as Eagles but noticed their football tattoos. Knelly is not an Eagles fan. He's a Ravens fan. So, Knelly is not having a pro-football kind of day.

Read more at www.philly.com...

Doesn't really fit in with what the owner said in his fairytale letter he wrote does it?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join