It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Huge Number Of Americans Do Not Want Atheist In-Laws...

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 11:00 PM
link   
...says Pew Research...

Atheists are the most unwanted future relative, by far. Nearly half (49 percent) of Americans say they would be unhappy if a member of their immediate family picked an unbeliever for a spouse.

Those most likely to say they’d be upset:

* 73 percent of people who call themselves “consistently conservative.”
* 64 percent of Protestants, including 77 percent of white non-Hispanic evangelical Protestants.
* 59 percent among Republicans or those who leaned to the GOP, 18 points higher than unhappy Democrat or Democrat/leaning adults.
* 55 percent of Roman Catholics

By contrast, only 9 percent overall said they would be upset by the prospect of a relative wedding a “born again” Christian.

Article Link
Pew Research Link
Oh, and we'd rather you didn't hold a political office, either...
Religious Bias Keeps Admitted Atheists From Their Civil Right to Run For Office

As a companion to the original article. I found this video with well known atheist vlogger Jaclyn Glen as a guest, talking about this survey.

Hmmmm. I don't remember exactly what the percentage of atheists is at ATS, but it seems like it was a substantial number when Skeptic Overlord took a poll a few years ago. It would seem that atheism has a long way to go yet.
edit on 9/11/2014 by Klassified because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 11:23 PM
link   
Nice...Just add to the growing pile of division. In a world where I don't believe I must wear a badge...Atheist! I just wish I could subscribe to said badge you know...Start a club! But alas, I just don't believe, I'm not an Atheist. Wonder why I can't just be me? Why must there be more pigeons than holes? I'm unpopular...Don't believe, white, no political affiliation, heterosexual! I don't feel good about myself!

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 11:27 PM
link   
Pure garbage! That is like saying 80% of people who like tomatoes love tomatoes. I giv you two well evolved thumbs down

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 11:35 PM
link   
a reply to: minkmouse

But alas, I just don't believe, I'm not an Atheist.

That's what an atheist is. They just don't believe. Everything else attached to the word, has nothing to do with its meaning.

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 11:37 PM
link   
Yes religious people are intolerant of views that differ. Atheists just don't want religion forced on them. They rarely force their views like the religions do. No Atheists wars.How many atheists kill people because of forcing their views?a reply to: Klassified

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 11:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: HiMyNameIsCal
Pure garbage! That is like saying 80% of people who like tomatoes love tomatoes. I giv you two well evolved thumbs down

Well, the first one has shown up. Where's the rest of your group?

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 11:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Klassified
...says Pew Research...
Atheists are the most unwanted future relative, by far. Nearly half (49 percent) of Americans say they would be unhappy if a member of their immediate family picked an unbeliever for a spouse.

Those most likely to say they’d be upset:

* 73 percent of people who call themselves “consistently conservative.”
* 55 percent of Roman Catholics

Well eeeeverything can upset them, but please let them live in freedom and being assholes with limited acceptance of others freedoms they don't understand.

And just when I taught Jesus's message was one of acceptance, more than half of his followers can't even accept Atheists.

Seriously, some people should start assuming that either they are hypocrites or in denial towards their own values.
edit on 11-9-2014 by theMediator because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 11:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Klassified

Americans don't want Atheist in-laws, or did that actually say Christians?

Theres quite a few sects that won't even accept a Christian from another denomination as a potential in-law

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 11:43 PM
link   
Atheists have better sex.

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 11:44 PM
link   

Each to their own and if religious folk have got a beef with Atheists in their families then stiff bikkies I guess.

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 11:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Akragon

Most Americans are so dumbed down that 9 out of 10 wouldn't know what an Atheist is.

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 11:46 PM
link   
a reply to: NightFlight

and make themselves hypocrites when they yell "Oh God"

link   

originally posted by: NightFlight
Atheists have better sex.

Yeah because people are just sex objects aren't they and that's they way it should be..

link   

originally posted by: NightFlight

Most Americans are so dumbed down that 9 out of 10 wouldn't know what an Atheist is.

Well im Canadian... We're not that dumb

Yet...

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 11:47 PM
link   

Maybe, but thats not what I yell.

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 11:52 PM
link   

But alas, I just don't believe, I'm not an Atheist.

That's what an atheist is. They just don't believe. Everything else attached to the word, has nothing to do with its meaning.

No...They have groups, they belong, fight for the cause, challenge the believers, adopt the badge...Me, I just like taking pictures and watching it all roll by. I don't like cream soups, That'll be an issue some day, I'll need another badge! An Atheist hater of cream soups. Why must perception be reality? Why must reality be so....Contrived?

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 12:07 AM
link   

Why must perception be reality? Why must reality be so....Contrived?

Because that's the way Consensus Reality and Groupthink work in our modern society. Reality is what the group perceives, and agrees it is.

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 12:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: Akragon

Americans don't want Atheist in-laws, or did that actually say Christians?

Theres quite a few sects that won't even accept a Christian from another denomination as a potential in-law

In answer to the first question. Americans.
And yes. Your second statement is very true.

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 12:13 AM
link   

Why must perception be reality? Why must reality be so....Contrived?

Because that's the way Consensus Reality and Groupthink work in our modern society. Reality is what the group perceives, and agrees it is.

See...I'm not a groupie either...I"m doomed!

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 12:17 AM
link   
What percentage of people want in-laws?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join