It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Left over beef short ribs

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 10:33 PM
link   
After making some really good braised short ribs on Sunday, I had quite a few left over. So i hustled up a little inspiration watching a Chili's commercial, and made some green enchilada sauce. Yes, i am aware most wont be able to find many of the ingredients, especially if you are abroad. For that I apologize. Tomatillos are a specific, tomato looking vegetable that is nothing like a tomato. Fresh green chile's you can find ina can. Locally we have "Hatch" Colorado chile's. Roasted anaheims and poblano's work, too.
Just take out the seeds if you have gringo mouth.

Leftover Roast Beef Green Enchiladas

I started with 1 large yellow onion cut into 8 pieces, about 10 medium tomatillos, and a head of garlic peeled, rubbed down, and roasted in a 400 degree oven for about 20 minutes. Dump the entire mixture into a food processor and pulse it down until smooth. While they roasted I peeled about 25 Hatch chiles and stripped the seeds out. Pulse in the roasted veggie mixture until mixed. Add in about 2 tbl of fresh cilantro, the zest of 1 lime, the juice of 2 limes, salt/pepper to taste, and pulse until thoroughly mixed and smooth. Set aside.

Take your leftover beef and shred it. In a skillet heat a couple turns of oil. Seed and chop 3 large chipotle peppers into a fairly fine dice. Add the chipotle and 4 large cloves of minced garlic to the oil until it starts to sizzle/pop. Add in the shredded roast beef and cook until hot. Set aside.

In a small skillet pour in a fair amount of corn oil. Maybe 1/2 inch deep. Bring to a medium heat, and soften the corn tortillas in it. You may want to do an assembly line so the tortillas are pulled from the oil, rolled, and put in the tray immediately. If you are alone, do it in batches of 6 or so (making sure to fully reheat the oil before resuming the softening of the tortillas). But the idea is to lay the corn tortilla in the hot oil for about 10 seconds, flip for 10 seconds, then set on a drain (paper plate with a paper towel layer).

Once you soften the corn tortilla, you dip it in the green sauce, then lay flat on a paper plate. Lay some cheese in it (i used queso quesadilla and colby blend), then a little roast beef, then roll up. Place in baking dish in organized layers (but you can double up the layers if need be). Each full layer should have a little sauce spread on it, then a little cheese sprinkled over it before starting a new layer. The mix should make 20 enchiladas or so.

Once you fill your baking dish, cover in cheese. I like to add some cotija cheese, if you can get it, for the salt. bake at 350 until all the cheese is melted (maybe 15-20 minutes). Serve with a healthy spoonful of crema (or sour cream...they are very similar), some rice (i like lime/cilantro more than spanish style), and some refried beans. And a cold Dos Equis.

I should take some pictures if I am going to make threads. Nothing like a visual (except having a bite).

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 07:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
And a cold Dos Equis.

'A', as in one?

Cool recipe, I plan on trying this next time I make short ribs.

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 09:39 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

well, when i have beer its either for rapid refreshment after sweating, or for the flavor combination during the meal. If i am drinking to drink, i prefer wine. In the winter i like red, in the summer i like white.

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 10:08 AM
link   

well, when i have beer its either for rapid refreshment after sweating, or for the flavor combination during the meal. If i am drinking to drink, i prefer wine. In the winter i like red, in the summer i like white.

Fair enough.

It is cool up here already in the northeast and I think a nice Barolo may be in order with tonight's short ribs. I am sufficiently inspired to make extra.

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 10:43 AM
link   

man...that sounds good. You may have just reinspired me to make some short ribs tonight.
Maybe a shortrib and barley stew or something.

Its raining all day today and tomorrow. So if not shortribs, maybe some chili and jalapeno cornbread

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 10:47 AM
link   

...maybe some chili and jalapeno cornbread

Almost chili weather here. I could go for some good jalapeno cornbread. I like to throw some jack or cheddar in mine too.

Damn I'm getting hungry. Time for lunch.

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Today is chili. I got the ground meats ready. I usually prefer a well chopped, lean roast. It has more texture than ground beef. I don't like ground beef a lot, so i will use equal parts ground beef (round roast), ground pork carnitas (shoulder roast), and lamb

I usually add in queso quesadilla cheese in my cornbread. Its really only a monterrey jack with some philadelphia cream cheese in it to make it melt more creamy. I also have been known to use queso panela and gouda. I also puree a couple of jalapeno's in the food processor, and add in a cup of fresh sweet corn. When i make cornbread, i make a bunch. Ill eat it constantly over a couple of days. Its one of my favorite food items. I cheat, and just use a Jiffy Corn Muffin mix for mine.

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Today is chili. I got the ground meats ready. I usually prefer a well chopped, lean roast. It has more texture than ground beef. I don't like ground beef a lot, so i will use equal parts ground beef (round roast), ground pork carnitas (shoulder roast), and lamb.

I am not a huge fan of store-ground meat as well so I usually grind my own with my Kitchen Aid attachment.

I usually add in queso quesadilla cheese in my cornbread. Its really only a monterrey jack with some philadelphia cream cheese in it to make it melt more creamy. I also have been known to use queso panela and gouda. I also puree a couple of jalapeno's in the food processor, and add in a cup of fresh sweet corn. When i make cornbread, i make a bunch. Ill eat it constantly over a couple of days. Its one of my favorite food items. I cheat, and just use a Jiffy Corn Muffin mix for mine.

That sounds delicious.

top topics

join