It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Surprise: Post-Obamacare Deductibles Going Through The Roof

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 04:23 PM
link   
It's not the premiums.

It's the deductibles and out-of-pocket that will bankrupt you !!

And I think deductibles are higher for those luscious exchange bought policies.

Many knew this when the ACA was being debated and after it passed.

Is there any way around this boondoggle?

Supporters of Obamacare took a victory lap when the first premium numbers were released for 2015 and the increases weren’t quite so “scary” as first thought. But there’s a reason for that. As USA Today reports, premiums aren’t going up so much because policyholders are seeing big hikes to out-of-pocket expenses:

A report out today puts numbers behind what hit many workers when they signed up for health insurance during open enrollment last year: deductible shock.

Premiums for employer-paid insurance are up 3% this year, but deductibles are up nearly 50% since 2009, the report by the Kaiser Family Foundation shows. ...........

Surprise: Post-Obamacare Deductibles Going Through The Roof

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Is there any way around this boondoggle?

Yep the repeal of the ACA.

Contrary to the LIES that got it 'passed'.

As to the 'uninsured' MEDICAID was created specifically for those who couldn't 'afford' insurance.

The ACA is here to stay because the right doesn't have the snips to get rid of it.

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 04:57 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

"Liberalism, un-checked, always implodes upon itself because it's policies are unsustainable." - Rush Limbaugh

I've got good mileage on that quote with this meltdown of Obamacare.

I think member DanBones had it right last year: "Buy stock, not insurance"
edit on 11-9-2014 by Granite because: sp

edit on 11-9-2014 by Granite because: correction

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 05:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Granite

I think member DanBones had it right last year: "Buy stock, not insurance"

I wouldn't.

Because the simple fact between medicare, and medicaid. The US government is the LARGEST healthcare insurer in the country.

With over 100 million people on their rolls.

That is 100 million people who are not in the private market.

If people want to know why insurance has gotten more expensive .

That is one of the biggest reasons.

With the addition the same people who created those programs also REGULATE that industry, and big pharma, and other medical suppliers, as well as hospitals.

Under the progressive plan health insurance companies can't exist.

It flies in the face of that glorious 'single payer' delusion they have. That isn't single payer. Which medicare, and medicaid are both a taste of.

Everyone using it. Hardly anyone paying for it.

And the same people who gave us medicare, and medicaid.

Gave us the 'affordable' shaft act.

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 05:18 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

Precisely...

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 07:13 PM
link   
"Pass it, so we can find out what's in it!". Sorry, but still find that the stupidest comment ever made.

As with many folks on ATS, I have a lot of doctor visits, physical therapy, and such. On a good week, I have 2 co-pays to pay. And that is just me- not my children or husband. So far this week I've had to pay $80 just getting in the door. It adds up mighty fast. Mighty fast.

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 03:46 AM
link   
a reply to: neo96

Im not sure that is entirely correct. Yes, the government is the biggest insurer, but if you look at Medicare reimbursements versus commercial insurance you will see discrepancies of thousands of dollars.

Last year I had a non-union scaphoid surgery with iliac graft (25440). Commercial insurance it cost me over 6,000 dollars including radiologist, anesthesiologist, surgeon and surgery center.

Here is the Medicare reimbursement: $763.66

The catch is not all doctors will accept Medicare so your choices are a bit more limited. However the point is if we would have just added the people with severe chronic and pre-existing conditions to medicare, we would be much better off. This was not about providing better healthcare. ACA was about a legacy that I hope will collapse under its own weight.

Mandated healthcare insurance pisses me off, and this is why; When I drive my car, I choose to drive and its a privilege. Part of that privilege is that I need to pay for insurance as a responsible driver. What the ACA does is force health insurance on someone by their existence alone. That is fracked up!

-d

edit on 12-9-2014 by drewlander because: typo

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 06:32 AM
link   
Yes, Why, Yes there is,
and carry it Proudly!
Fight against the system, Vote'em all out!

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 07:08 AM
link   
You just won't give up on it, will you? Well at first it was premium shock, now it's the deductible. Just more lies. Republicans haven't hated a president so much since FDR. Obama must be doing a hell of a job. No domestic terror attacks since he took office. Bush got elected and in less than a year, our biggest city got attacked. I think the terrorists know whom to fear.

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 08:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: damwel
You just won't give up on it, will you? Well at first it was premium shock, now it's the deductible. Just more lies. Republicans haven't hated a president so much since FDR. Obama must be doing a hell of a job. No domestic terror attacks since he took office. Bush got elected and in less than a year, our biggest city got attacked. I think the terrorists know whom to fear.

ROFLMAO That someone still carries this mans water! Unbelievable!

Oh and just a reminder—although 9/11 happened 8 months after President Bush took office, during his 8-year presidency we never had any other Islamic terrorist attack in the U.S. They knew better.

1. Binghamton, New York — May, 2009
Taliban chief claims responsibility for N.Y. shooting massacre.

2. Bronx, New York — May, 2009
FBI arrest four in alleged plot to bomb Bronx synagogues, shoot down plane

3. Little Rock, Arkansas — June, 2009
Shooting at military recruiting center; 1 dead, 1 wounded; suspect is anti-military Muslim convert

4. New York and Colorado – September 21, 2009
Three men were arrested and charged in the ongoing terror probe centered around New York and Colorado. The three men are Najibullah Zazi, 24; his father Mohammed Wali Zazi, 53; and Ahmad Wais Afzali, 37. When authorities searched Zazi’s car, they found a laptop computer that contained “a jpeg image of nine-pages of handwritten notes. Zazi had connections to high levels of al Qaeda.

5. Dallas, Texas — September 22, 2009
A 19-year-old Jordanian man, Hosam Maher Husein Smadi, was arrested on charges he intended to bomb a downtown Dallas skyscraper. Smadi placed what he believed to be a car bomb outside the 60-story Fountain Place office tower, according to a statement from the U.S. attorney’s office in Dallas. The decoy device was given to him by an undercover FBI agent.

6. Fort Hood, Texas — November, 2009
Fort Hood massacre: Major Hasan killed 13 service men and women and wounded over 40 others. He has been linked to al-Qaeda.

7. Detroit, Michigan – December, 2009
Northwest 253 passengers tell of thwarted Detroit terror attack.

8. May, 1st, 2010 United States New York City, New York
United States New York’s Times Square was evacuated after the discovery of a car bomb.[235] en.wikipedia.org

9. Thwarted attack in November 2010 by ‘Christmas tree bomber’
Mohamed Osman Mohamud is accused of plotting to bomb a Portland, Ore., Christmas tree lighting ceremony. www.csmonitor.com

10. Frankfort, Germany United States Military base, March 2011
Islamist terrorists attacked US military base killing two US soldiers. abcnews.go.com

11. New York and DC, September 9, 2011
Islamic terrorists threaten to attack on the 10-year anniversary of 9/11. Both cities on ‘high alert’ as ‘a specific, credible threat’ targets New York and Washington.

Link
If that's not enough, you have Obama Head lines for the last 6 years......

AP: Al-Qaeda Groups Surge, Terrorism Spikes Under Obama

Al-Qaeda

Five terrorist attacks succeeded under Obama, but none ...

But none after 9/11

Obama: No 'Large Scale' Terrorist Attacks on U.S. Since I Became President

Obama Lies

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 08:43 AM
link   
The insurance companies are not going to lose money.

They now, have to find ways to pay for all those people who could not afford insurance before.

So, one way or another, they people who have money will pay for those who don't

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 08:48 AM
link   

My take on ACA is that ultimately it will be replaced or slowly phased out with a single payer system a la the Canadian system. Its really just a matter of time. If Hillary runs, she'll win and she'll phase in a single payer system. I can't even begin to imagine the course of action a Republican president would take on the health care system. But then again, I can't imagine any of the potential Republican candidates winning a national election.

top topics

join