It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are we entering a new era of music?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 06:43 PM
link   
I love music and think it's more useful and important than most credit it as being. Adding music to learning a language makes it easier as people can remember better when music is involved, for instance.

That said, I haven't heard any "new" music in quite awhile... same as fashions...for a few decades, most causally dressed individuals would fit into any other decade if suddenly dumped there.

True music innovation frequently comes from oppression... as in black people in America were/are incredibly innovative... soul, jazz, rap, dub... white working class folks from America and the UK as they got the shaft later... punk, new wave, art alternative, etc. ... and from new accessible tech and methods of creating sound... as in electronica, synthesizers, sampling, etc.

But pop stays easy and accessible... like mayonnaise... some is really catchy, but it doesn't really grab one's soul and remain relevant for years. Art doesn't (usually) dwell in pop music; it's scroungier and more painful... usually. The lyrics speak of things not usually spoken and the feelings created from the notes can be ... unpleasant... but it's true.

There hasn't been a whole lot of truth in much of anything lately... including music... and that leaves it hollow... vapid.

Thankfully, as the world gets more painful, I'm sure better music will result... but I'd settle for a kinder, smarter world with bad, vapid pop music if I had to choose.

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 06:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: GogoVicMorrow
a reply to: funkadeliaaaa

I don't know about a new era, but I just want to say I heard Royals way late (i don't listen to new music - like at all) and it was already a "smash hit" when I heard it and I listened and thought "eWhaaat? this isn't really catchy at all, no music or lyrical hooks. It's boring and barely a song. What happened?"

Exactly its weird how popular music has changed isnt it?
I think people like singers like Lorde because they sound like a popular person they know in real life and feel strongly attracted to that way of expressing herself. Like it tickles their ears inside in some way.......

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 07:09 PM
link   

And the music rapidly chaning at an unprecedented rate with us.

What are you on about?

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 07:09 PM
link   

double
edit on 11/9/14 by SecretKnowledge because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 07:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: funkadeliaaaa

New trends are needed to fulfill the wishes of puberty claiming its own territory in society.

I dont agree witn that.
I think its a dangerous myth but im not going to explain why, just sayin'.
a reply to: Dumbass

Justin Bieberface comes to mind.
And a lot of young inexperienced exploiters of the rap genre.

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 07:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: SecretKnowledge

What are you on about?

....if you lived in a major city like london you would have more of an idea of how the music scene actually is influenced by the culture as much as it is the other way round, but unless you know it immediately theres no use explaining it to you.

To put it simply people tastes i beleive have evolved, to become much smarter and much more refined.

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 07:52 PM
link   
a reply to: SecretKnowledge
Its a trend that has been noticeable for the last 7-8 years and i think in reaction to that music companies have tried to adapt new business models, and sign new artists to accomodate this evolution, but they couldnt keep up, and now theyre actually in my opinion making what i call "reactionary trend" music based on these changing trends that have out- paced , out clsssed , out maneuvered and out sold the old music industry oligarchy, in order to still be " in the game " so to speak, and the reason is simply politics. Becase politics and current events are still large influencers of the human psyche, so popular music now i beleive is written to match both the music trends and the political trends.... Sounds scary i know but there is a really simple technique behind it. They hum subliminal noises and build songs around grunts and non vocal "vocalisations" that soundlikesongsbut arent. I cant show you but a lot of people do it pretending to sing without singing. You can make a tonne of music that way because it comes from the subcnsciousness. Later oyrocs with messages that make oittle to no sense are added and a song is easily built in hours, and put into the market. Whereas quality producers will spend days making a single track and months on a album. They have a finger on thepulse of themusic industry and current events so that their mhsyic can win out over the naturally produced music.

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 07:52 PM
link   
I do think that certain tracks from the same era grouped together, do seem to to catch a similar theme, maybe because the musicians heard each others tracks.

1960's - Psychadelia (Strawberry Alarm Clock, The Beetles)
1980's - New Age Romantics (Human League, Ultravox, Adam and the Ants)

Depressive music (I made this one up, but it's a collection that came out at the same time)
Jona Lewie - Stop the Cavalry: youtube.com/watch?v=5hVEdE0O5tA
The Flying Pickets - Only You: youtube.com/watch?v=qgDKtLPp46s
Dollar - Mirror, Mirror | youtube.com/watch?v=BVyt8ZlTt8g
Vangelis - I'll find my way home | youtube.com/watch?v=qgDKtLPp46s

1990's - Rave music (Sesames Treat, The Shamen - Ebeneezer Goode, The Prodigy)
SAW music (Stock-Aitken-Waterman, Kylie Minogue, Rick Astley)
2000's - Girl music (Spice Girls, Girls Aloud)

There are always other genres like Rap, Heavy Metal, Ibiza club music and they can be grouped together as well.

If there is an Armageddon doom to UK music just now, it's probably because it's coming close to October when the universities start and nights start getting longer. You'll also see music getting more edgy towards June when the exams come up, then everything chills out and goes club party as the Summer approaches.

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 08:01 PM
link   
But whats been happening is random bands come and go now and people i think started to realise something was up. They could tell which bands were production line puppetry and which were legit members of human society, with a true messa, instead of hypnotic and cliched garbage akmed at a brainless audience with no sense of refinement or taste.

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 08:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: stormcell
If there is an Armageddon doom to UK music just now, it's probably because it's coming close to October when the universities start and nights start getting longer. You'll also see music getting more edgy towards June when the exams come up, then everything chills out and goes club party as the Summer approaches.

No there isnt particularly Armageddon themed music at all. Its just,..... A time i think of very interesting sonic development s. And infact im glad ive used that word, because e always felt music should be more sonically creative, and if humanity were tl truly evolve musically ot would have to be as sonically experimental as it is musically and I think we are seeing that at the moment. Bands like pink floyd and the beatles really pushed the sonic boundaries of popular music of their day and i think were seeing that again but with much more advanced technology.

This band for example said they were tryingto recreate a beatles like sound and describe almost exaclty what ive just mentioned. I heard this for the first time on the radio tonight, replying to posts on this thread!
And btw it sounds awesome! Please listen. Its apparently supposed to be 60s hip hop reggae psychadelic punk rock futuristic ppopsurfrock indie pop.fusion
soundcloud.com...
edit on 11-9-2014 by funkadeliaaaa because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 08:22 PM
link   
Im sorry to say There alll wak I hate chart music with a passion! Except for the odd misplaced gem... apart from that there evrything thats wrong with this world!

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 08:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: PhoenixFreeman
Im sorry to say There alll wak I hate chart music with a passion! Except for the odd misplaced gem... apart from that there evrything thats wrong with this world!

I disagree, and think youve got a very shallow view of life.

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 08:37 PM
link   

Iv got a real view of life

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 08:42 PM
link   
Havent we all?
a reply to: PhoenixFreeman

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Ill never get it. I love music like T REX, Television, Richard Hell, and so on. There are some newer artists I love like MGMT and so on. Oh and I love the Strokes.

Also some bands that haven't made it but are great like Murderous Geese, and Wagner Logic.

Actually you can hear me sing in a band from my late teens early twenties here: myspace.com/thetroubleclefs haha.

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 04:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: CardiffGiant

originally posted by: Dumbass
a reply to: CardiffGiant

i want to hear the musical value of the voice

i go the other way... most of what i listen to is instrumental

You might have already heard of him but check Johnny Hiland out,he's a rather larger and round American guitarist who has country,blues,rock and fusion chops-have one of his albums and he does a few satchy sounding instrumentals but he just screams it in the blues vocal songs with nice sustain and gain on his amp

The rest like Andy Timmons,Brett garsed,PG,YJM,GH,Mcapline,GL,Vinnie Moore.guthrie are all house hold names for guitarist but Johnny is another great player

Vai-loved his DLR guitar work on those two albums but could never get into his solo work,but respect his talent just like satch

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join