It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Turkey will not permit the U.S. to use its air bases for strikes against IS

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 03:19 PM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

You do know Incirlik AFB is a US base in Turkey correct?

Where our planes go after they take off, Turkey has no say in.

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 04:06 PM
link   
I think Turkey is worried about the Kurds attempting to eventually seize part of their territory and create a Kurdish state. In my opinion such a state will eventually be created, as the Kurds have a formidable and in many areas a modern force in the region. The situation right now, where the Kurds are protecting their regions in Syria and Iraq, is a good time for them to declare their independence. Or after the defeat of ISIS rather. They will be one of the main reasons ISIS is defeated, and they are bearing more than their share of combat, and are losing troops and even civilians in some instances. They already should have been concerned about the Iraqi government not giving them their oil money, and I would be relatively upset at this point if I were them.

But the Kurds are pretty good people, and have not fallen victim to what the rest of the region has in many instances. This is why their region was the only one to possess modern cities after the rest of Iraq was burning. They have thus far only protected what they deem theirs, and eventually that will lead to them breaking off. Anyway, my point is that Turkey likely does not want this to happen. Could this be partly why they will not help in a conflict where the Kurds could come out more powerful than before? I mean the Kurds are receiving international military aid at this point. I think this very well could be part of the motivation. Other motivations include not wanting to make ISIS mad, but Turkey has to realize that there is no reasoning with these people. If ISIS succeeds they will come after them as well.
edit on 9/11/14 by JiggyPotamus because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 04:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy
a reply to: MrSpad
In the end, we have a coalition whose active members consist of Western nations.

We hear all the time that 'moderate' Muslims oppose ISIS.
Now we can see just how much they really oppose ISIS.

Hopefully someone starts paying attention to that.

Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates, Qatar, Kuwait, Bahrain, Oman, Egypt, Jordan, Lebanon and Iraq have all joined the coalition. And as we well know moderate muslims (FSA, Iraq, Kurds etc) have been the people on the ground fighting ISIS since start. In the end the Western nations will remain only supporting players in this. And yes somebody should pay attention that while the rest of the world did nothing moderate Muslims have been on the ground and in the fight instead of joining ISIS and really making the world a very dangerouse place. I sure hope someone has been paying attention that that.

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 04:36 PM
link   

The "moderate" Muslim countries won't shoulder the burden...wish they would...but they won't. These countries are too afraid to attack IS or Syria. They're too afraid to give any type of military support to a western country as they would be attacking another Muslim. That's why we and the rest are mucking around. I know, sounds like a pretty crappy reason and, it is, but that's why you won't see these countries doing anything.

If the Saudi's started launching an attack on IS or Syria, then they would most likely be fighting a revolution/terrorists in their own country. It's the same for the others. The only exception is Iran.

Iran is mostly Shiite and a minority (only one) in the ME. That's the reason why you saw them give military support to the Shia lead Iraqi gov't. They are more concerned about IS then the US. IS is a very real threat to Iran and they are taking action. Unfortunately, they will not be part of the coalition since they do not want to be seen working with the US.

At least, that's my 2 cents.

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 04:41 PM
link   

I will be very surprised if any of those countries actively participate (boots on the ground) in any offensive against IS or Syria. Hopefully I'm wrong, but I don't think I am. They may be staging areas for attacks but they will keep their distance to show their people that they are not in cahoots with the West/Christians/Infidels.

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 04:41 PM
link   
I'm surprised anybody is surprised. They will probably all back out before it's over, and we will have been suckered in to fighting their war.

I know that sounds harsh. But I'm so fed up. : (

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 04:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Feltrick

I agree with every one of your posts in this thread. Moderate Muslim countries face the fact that ISIS is already within their borders and to join this coalition in the "wrong" way or seem too dedicated to western influence puts their own stability in jeopardy.

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 04:51 PM
link   
I just went back and read some of the other posts, and it's funny, we all think the same thing!

Can we all be wrong? If we know this, then the government knows this too.

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 05:19 PM
link   

The majority of Muslims fighting ISIS are doing so in their own country. They are fighting for their lives.

I am not sure where you got your list. Everything that I find lists ten countries in the coalition... Turkey being the only one that is majority Moslem.

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 05:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy
In the end, we have a coalition whose active members consist of Western nations.

We hear all the time that 'moderate' Muslims oppose ISIS.
Now we can see just how much they really oppose ISIS.

Hopefully someone starts paying attention to that.

No, the actual boots on the ground fighting hand to hand will be Iraqis and Kurds, they are definitely not "Western"

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Those air bases are for privately funded mercenaries only...and they are currently occupied trying to free the Syrian people from themselves...

edit on 9 11 2014 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 05:31 PM
link   
a reply to: TinfoilTP
Yes. Boots on the ground.
I am looking to see some support and troops maybe from these ME countries that profess to oppose ISIS. The Muslims that are fighting are fighting for their lives and freedom.

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 05:32 PM
link   
Russia warns again, will the West this time listen...?

Russia Warns Obama's "Two-Faced" Strategy In Syria Will Lead To "Huge Escalation In Middle East & Africa"

If the West bombs Islamic State militants in Syria without consulting Damascus, LiveLeak reports that the anti-ISIS alliance may use the occasion to launch airstrikes against President Bashar Assad’s forces, according to Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov. Clearly comprehending that Obama's new strategy against ISIS in Syria is all about pushing the Qatar pipeline through (as was the impetus behind the 2013 intervention push), Russia is pushing back noting that the it is using ISIS as a pretext for bombing Syrian government forces and warning that "such a development would lead to a huge escalation of conflict in the Middle East and North Africa."

Source

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 05:52 PM
link   
My sources have stated that the reason Turkey is not going to fight the ISIS is because they were arming them.

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 05:54 PM
link   

The FSA moderate Muslims ? REALLY? REALLY? Since when?

Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates, Qatar, Kuwait, Bahrain, Oman, Egypt, Jordan, Lebanon and Iraq have all joined the coalition.

LOL What a lovely bunch of Democratic couples.

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 06:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Agent_USA_Supporter

The FSA moderate Muslims ? REALLY? REALLY? Since when?

Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates, Qatar, Kuwait, Bahrain, Oman, Egypt, Jordan, Lebanon and Iraq have all joined the coalition.

LOL What a lovely bunch of Democratic couples.

Since they were defecting Syrian Army units. Since they began fighting ISIS and the other radicals last year. Since ISIS and Assad stopped fighting each other and ganged up on the FSA. Since the FSA took a beating and then ISIS turned on the other radicals and then went back after Assad. So pretty much from the start.

And for the guy who missed this here is one link Arabs states vow to help end ISIS

And last but not least. why are people going about other nations sending troops? Nobody is going to do that. Their are more than enough forces on the ground already to deal with ISIS with proper training and support. Adding more Arab troops who would also need more training and support would be a waste of resources.

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 06:40 PM
link   

None of the Arab participants said precisely what they would do, and it remained unclear whether any would join the United States in mounting the airstrikes.

That is from your link.
Seems a tad vague regarding just what they are going to do.
Hopefully more than they have done up until now.

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Read the article and laughed. Phrases like, "Contribute 'as appropriate" and "do their share" don't mean much during a war.

It's a coalition and the ME nations that have signed up are in a win/win. They're coming out against IS but, at the same time, will not be "militarily" involved. Sure, they'll contribute monetarily and some will allow military strikes to come from their countries just like both Iraq wars...BUT...that's all they'll do. Hey, they're helping the Muslims hurt by IS but they're not attacking another Muslim country. Didn't you find it odd that Saudi Arabia wanted Assad removed but did nothing but ask the US to intervene?

I believe some of these countries have an uneasy truce with IS. I believe that Saudi Arabia is giving money to IS with an agreement that they will not carry out attacks within Saudi Arabia. They're playing both sides. Allow the US and other western countries to attack IS while simultaneously funding and potentially feeding information to IS. To me, THAT is the conspiracy. It ain't glamorous but I believe it's true.

Make no mistake, the Saudi's want to get rid of them because IS is against their luxurious life style. But, they are good for business...as long as they stay out of Saudi Arabia.

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 06:59 PM
link   
How far will Turkey go in being extorted?

So the holding of these hostages is preventing Turkey from entering in any significant way the “coalition” against ISIL?

Just how far does this extortion go?

Does this mean Turkey will still allow Jihadists to enter their territory and go down into Syria and join ISIL?

This is not getting off to a good start!

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 08:45 PM
link   
So just stay away from reporters and they are not there...?

They are probably going to sell cookies :

News Reporter in Iraq: 'I Know There Are Already Boots on the Ground Where I Am'

(CNSNews.com) - NBC News Correspondent Richard Engel, reporting live from Kurdistan in northern Iraq Wednesday night, said U.S. troops are on the ground in Iraq and avoiding reporters. "I know there are already American boots on the ground where I am now," Engel told MSNBC. "They are not necessarily firing their rifles or kicking down doors, and we're not going on embeds with these troops.

And the real fighting will be done by fictitious partners...

The problem is, there aren't many local partners:

There are some in northern Iraq, the Kurds. "But in Syria, there aren't any local partners; they're fictitious partners that he's talking about," Engel said.

Source

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join