It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How low is "under the radar"

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 03:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: _Del_
A very rough estimate (and we're ignoring a lot of variables like signal strength, terrain masking, ground clutter, refractive indices, etc) can be derived from the Pythagorean theorum. If we measure the distance to the horizon from one observer we can use a simple right triangle because the horizon is a tangent to the earth's surface. Here's a nifty diagram I shamelessly stole from Bad Astronomy:

So the radius of the earth squared, plus the distance squared equals whatever the radius of the earth plus the observers height is as a sum squared.
d^2+R^2= (R+h)^2
So d^2+R^2=R^2+2Rh+h^2
or d^2=2Rh+h^2
So d = the square root of [h(2R + h)].

So for an airborne radar, we would complete the equation for both the airborne radar's height and horizon and the sneaky plane's height and horizon separately. Then we would we would add the distances to the horizon together and find the detection level. A few hundred feet on either end can really make a difference.

Yeah what he said.

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 04:39 AM
link   
I wonder if Anaprop is still a problem these days? In any case, in the old days, the old Buccaneer used to fly lower than 100 feet. (There was some rumors of some Buccaneers with tumbleweeds in their pitot tubes when they train in the US desert). But with smart munitions with long standoff ranges, I could imagine the munitions will be doing the low level stuff and keeping the pilots safe from a far distance.

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 07:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: pzkw3
rumors of some Buccaneers with tumbleweeds in their pitot tubes when they train in the US desert

I can't confirm the story, but I can confirm that I heard that story more than once

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 03:43 AM
link   
I have heard stories is navy pilots out here in the calif and Nevada deserts coming back to base with barbed wire on there tail hooks.

I also have found the yellow and black warning tape they put on navy fighters tail hooks on small rocks in the desert after a report of a navy pilot bouncing his tail hook on the ground through a camp after some forest service cowboys mooned him.

www.nytimes.com...

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 05:53 AM
link   
a reply to: _Del_

Yes, definitely a recurring rumor, but the Buccaneer is really a very low level plane. The red force pilots used to look for dust trails and usually a buccaneer was the culprit.

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 05:58 AM
link   
a reply to: ANNED

Ha! Ha! Ha! That is sure a gutsy way to practice "catching the wire".

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 10:50 AM
link   
This Hornet gets pretty low.

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 11:05 AM
link   
a reply to: Nettlas

Generally speaking around 150 ft but as you have been shown it does vary depending on topography and distance from the radar. For example radar on a ship to fly below radar you have to stay below the radar mount. Now because of the curvature of the earth at long distances you have room. But as you aproach the ship it would be trying to avoid smashing into waves lol.

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 12:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: StratosFear
Del pretty much nailed it but I had to chime in to say WHAT A LUCKY GUY YOU ARE getting to see those up close. The Swedish fighters are some of my favorite planes, especially the Draken, its just wicked looking. Do you have to stop and let the occasional Gripen taxi down your freeway/interstate?

I got some footage in 2012 of Vampire, Lansen, Draken, Viggen, and Gripen. Some of it was quite good but with the camera I was using it was sometimes impossible to see and follow the birds on the LCD. If you have a good sound system and crank up the volume, I think you will find it worth a look.

www44.zippyshare.com...
www44.zippyshare.com...
www44.zippyshare.com...
www44.zippyshare.com...
www44.zippyshare.com...
www44.zippyshare.com...

Hopefully Nettlas can get some more/better shots of Gripen.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join