It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

K9 Deputy Left in Squad Vehicle Dies

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 11:28 AM
link   
You can Google This Anywhere. Mods, Move if need be..

"Kela," a 9-year-old Belgian Malinois, said Duplin County Sheriff Blake Wallace. She had been with her handler, Deputy Kevin Williams, for four-and-a-half years.

Deputy Williams was getting off duty on Aug. 19 when he got a call that his child was sick. Williams then drove his own squad car home, went inside to change, and left to take care of his sick child, said Sheriff Wallace. Williams left Kela in the squad car, and a family member found the dog dead the next day.

Sheriff Wallace said Williams was not charged because there was no proof of criminal intent. Sheriff Wallace said that Williams is very upset about the dog's death. Kela and Deputy Williams were members of Duplin Interstate Criminal Enforcement. The dog was trained to track down narcotics and people.

Despite the accident, Sheriff Wallace said Deputy Williams has been a great employee. Deputy Williams has not been charged, but has been reassigned to bailiff duty.

Wtf? He isn't charged? We all know that if it was anyone else besides the law, they would be charged with animal cruelty. You have been with the dog for 4 1/2 years. No excuse. This is Str8 Up Bull that he isn't' at least fired for killing a cop.

Credit - wwaytv3.com
Click to view image: '0a6_1410445524-policedog_1410445590.jpg'

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 11:39 AM
link   
This happened in the UK a few years ago. Two police dogs on that occasion. Very Sad.

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 11:45 AM
link   
a reply to: SirKonstantin

Yet another example of the law enforcement showing us to do as they say, not as they do.

A dogs mentality is that of a 2-3 year old child so to me this officer is no better than the guy who recently was convicted of leaving his child to die in a car.

edit on 11-9-2014 by TheLieWeLive because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 11:48 AM
link   

So sad...
Did your source say if it was a heat related death?

Sort of he same happened around here a year ago.
The K-9 units are supposed to be equipped with a temperature regulators to maintain the cars heat or cold.
In the case here.
The officer left the dog in the patrol care for 4 hours.
The temperature unit malfunctioned. And the result. The dog died of a heat stroke.
Even if the officer would of cracked the rear windows ( they have a cage barrier ).
There was no way for the dog to survive. Temps were high 90's and high humidity.

What gets me is. Why not bring the dogs in?

This officer was charged and fired. It makes no sense to not check your partner.
4 hours. Water!

Hopefully some day technology will supersede a k-9's nose.
And we can get these animals out of the line of fire or any other danger.

Peace.

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 11:49 AM
link   
No criminal intent?! Wtf! What does intent have to do with negligence? Complete BS! "Oops I forgot" does not relieve you of responsibility and neither does being "very upset by the death"!!!

Cops are not above the law, in fact they should be held to a higher standard because of job requirements. How is this different than a civilian doing the same thing?!

This just pisses me off to no end!
edit on 11-9-2014 by wastedown because: grammy

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Another way of interpreting this story is negligent homicide. ...for instance what I understand is if a member of the public were to assault or kill the k9 they could be charged with the same degree and punishment as assaulting or killing a human LEO....maybe I'm wrong though. ...another example of its OK for them but not for us...that's not even going into the animal rights argument. ..

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Another sad story.

We all know that if it was anyone else besides the law, they would be charged with animal cruelty.

I know that at least a negligence charge would apply if animal cruelty couldnt be proven.

It certainly was negligent of the officer to leave the dog in the car no matter what excuse he has, sick child or not.

Its a few seconds, half a minute the most to open a window, let the dog out into the back yard or in the house.

He forgot about his partner, I guess he will have to live it.

I cant make any judgement on the closeness of the relationship he had with his partner but it does seem very negligent of an officer to do such.

edit: it seems the negligence is also realized by others, Its a shame its not mentioned by the authorities who should set an example about being responsible.
edit on 11-9-2014 by InhaleExhale because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 12:03 PM
link   
I always thought a K-9 was classed as an officer. so will this K-9 officer receive the funeral it deserves after being left for dead by its partner.
After all any motion towards a K-9 by a civilian can be interpreted as assault.
so in the grand scheme of things this is a big deal, we the public have to treat the dog with the same respect as a LEO where as the LEO treats them as a dog.
penny dropping..........

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 12:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: PLAYERONE01
I always thought a K-9 was classed as an officer. so will this K-9 officer receive the funeral it deserves after being left for dead by its partner.
After all any motion towards a K-9 by a civilian can be interpreted as assault.
so in the grand scheme of things this is a big deal, we the public have to treat the dog with the same respect as a LEO where as the LEO treats them as a dog.
penny dropping..........

Except, it wasn't 'left for dead'. It was left in a very healthy and alive state of being.
If I did it to a K-9 officer, I think I would be charged with at least negligent homicide of a police officer.... if there is such a charge in that jurisdiction.
edit on b000000302014-09-11T12:09:51-05:0012America/ChicagoThu, 11 Sep 2014 12:09:51 -05001200000014 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 12:13 PM
link   
There is just no excuse for this. Sad Sad Sad. Animals look for us to be so much better than this. I am sure the officer is heartbroken but so what. This was a serious screwup.

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 12:14 PM
link   
A dog walker here was just charged in the deaths of 6 dogs that died in the back of her truck, not sure how long they were there but it was heat related.
Cops seem to get a free pass in about 90% of the bull# they are involved in.
edit on 11-9-2014 by vonclod because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 12:49 PM
link   
This guy needs to be charged like everyone else. It's called involuntary manslaughter of an officer. Plain and simple.

Poor Lil pup..

edit on 11-9-2014 by PlasticWizard because: Grammar

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 12:55 PM
link   
There's no way that animal died quietly. That animal was ignored. This death went beyond criminal, its inhumane.

It wasn't even the officer that found his own animal. This is beyond horrible.

(post by motthoople removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 01:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: SirKonstantin
You can Google This Anywhere. Mods, Move if need be..

"Kela," a 9-year-old Belgian Malinois, said Duplin County Sheriff Blake Wallace. She had been with her handler, Deputy Kevin Williams, for four-and-a-half years.

Deputy Williams was getting off duty on Aug. 19 when he got a call that his child was sick. Williams then drove his own squad car home, went inside to change, and left to take care of his sick child, said Sheriff Wallace. Williams left Kela in the squad car, and a family member found the dog dead the next day.

Sheriff Wallace said Williams was not charged because there was no proof of criminal intent. Sheriff Wallace said that Williams is very upset about the dog's death. Kela and Deputy Williams were members of Duplin Interstate Criminal Enforcement. The dog was trained to track down narcotics and people.

Despite the accident, Sheriff Wallace said Deputy Williams has been a great employee. Deputy Williams has not been charged, but has been reassigned to bailiff duty.

Wtf? He isn't charged? We all know that if it was anyone else besides the law, they would be charged with animal cruelty. You have been with the dog for 4 1/2 years. No excuse. This is Str8 Up Bull that he isn't' at least fired for killing a cop.

Credit - wwaytv3.com
Click to view image: '0a6_1410445524-policedog_1410445590.jpg'

I love to see posts, rants, and everything else to describe the hypocrisy going on that emphasizes the harsh reality of the world while making many others question the objectivity and maybe wake up to smell the bs.

He should have the book thrown at him like the rest of us would, but it ain't gonna happen. That seems like today's world, maybe on a good day for many places.

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 02:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Philippines

The Cops are Judged by There Peers..Other Cops in the Court System. So They Will Never See Bars.
This is Truly Upsetting News.

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 02:56 PM
link   
I am so sick of seeing cops walk away from stuff like this without charges. It shows that not only do cops think they are above the law, they actually are above the law.

In NC they have a law that gives any authorized person the right to break in to the car to save the animal when they are locked in a hot car. The law states that animal cruelty charges may apply and in this situation i think they need be applied and the officer charged. Not only did he leave a dog unattended in a hot car over night, but he do so with a trained police dog.

Anytime a police dog is injured or killed in the line of duty, the person responsible is facing up to 10 years in prison per federal law. If the average person would face up to 10 years in prison for the exact same situation, why isnt this police officer facing any charges?

Because the police are above the law and can have a complete disregard for the safety of the animals and people in their care. They get a free pass, so they don't care. Why should they? They are untouchable.

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 06:49 PM
link   

Police dogs are only cops if a civilian kills or injures one. Duhhh..

top topics

join