It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bicyclist are the new scourge of the earth

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 10:22 AM
link   
Alright so in my state of Washington state and one my cities Seattle, there putting in this new bike lane in major artery street that is probably going to make traffic even worse here. and to that point we are one of the worst states for traffic and now I think it's partly the bicyclist fault I believe. But they put these bicycle lanes in thinking that this is going to reduce traffic and accidents but it is just going to increase accidents. Because everyone knows these bicycle people don't follow the law. No! they don't. Well I'm not a car so I can just go at a red. You can't get in front of me I am taking this space like I am a car you have to treat me like I am a car.

But then I guess it goes even deeper because all these city councils keep putting bike lanes even where there is not that much bicyclist using them. And of course if you have a bike lane by residential's that turns parking into a nightmare from Elm street. I mean when are people going to learn that bicycle lanes are the road to damnation. alright maybe I went a little to far there. But it is just frustrating when traffic is major issue here and we don't do anything to alleviate the issue but add a burden to it.

But bicycle lanes are the Worst!

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 10:33 AM
link   
a reply to: American-philosopher

Maybe if more people rode bikes the traffic wouldn't be such a problem......

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 10:35 AM
link   
We have miles of beautiful, off the road bike paths by me. It runs along a creek greenbelt, a wide smooth cement lane. Perfect for long rides and no traffic for cyclists to worry about. But there is a group of cyclists, probably almost 100 of them, that would rather ride around an office park where my husband works, right about the time people are trying to leave to go home. They are not commuting, this is training/recreation. They completely clog the road en masse so it is impossible to go around them. Sometimes I swear when they see a car behind them they slow down.

I've heard from some cyclists that they actually believe it's safer to ride in a car lane, because they think cars will see them better, and cars are forced to slow down or go around. They prefer to take partial possession of the roadway even if there is a bike lane on the side. It really doesn't make sense to me.

I do think more people should be walking and biking to get around local areas, and bike lanes are a great way to encourage this, but you have to understand that bike vs car never ends well, and take all the extra precautions necessary.

edit on 11-9-2014 by eeyipes because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 10:37 AM
link   
a reply to: Briles1207Some people are trying to make a living by using the roads to get to there destinations on time. Why should traffic get held up on a 45mph road because someone wanted to practice for a marathon?

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 10:40 AM
link   
Ha!! A thread worthy of one of my favorite pics.

Be safe out there folks. Let the picture be your release.

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 10:41 AM
link   
a reply to: StratosFear

The same as if you get stuck behind a tractor going 15mph or a bin lorry going 5mph?

Do you shout at old people who dawdle down the road hand in hand going nowhere in particular when you get stuck behind them as apedestrian? Because theyre "Not going to work"?

We apologise for delaying your inevitable destruction of the earth. :-)

I'm being facetious, I apologise :-)

edit on 11-9-2014 by Briles1207 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 10:42 AM
link   
a reply to: StratosFear

From what I see around here it's the marathon trainers that are the most danger in the roadway. They ride the fastest, are more aggressive about competing for lane space with cars, and are most likely to blow a red light because they don't want to stop (must keep up that speed and heartrate you know). When I see families on bikes or commuters, I don't worry much. But the hardcore bikers in jerseys, watch out, lol. Most ride safe, but I've seen a few take some very stupid risks.

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 10:42 AM
link   

I feel your pain as a motorist, but I'm also a bicyclist (weather permitting) and actually biked to work today. Please don't take offense but I find your rant to be selfish and devoid of logic.

One would think that the pollution from auto-emissions might anger/worry you more than bicyclists. Especially since you live in such a beautiful city like Seattle.

As the other poster said if less people drove cars there would be less traffic, your anger should be directed to other motorists who are hogging up all the roads which you seem to believe you have exclusive access to. Are you the only citizen in your city who pays taxes? If not you don't have much of an argument as to why these bike lanes should not be implemented.

Good rant though

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 10:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Briles1207Your absolutely right how stupid it was of me to assume the roads are for something other than a leisure activity. If it were up to me I`d allow Jeremy Clarkson to deal with this problem his way, Even in the U.S.

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Oh My God, I hate recreational bicyclists. We have them in North Carolina, where the roads curve, so you cant pass them. I just open my windows and crank up the Metallica untill they stop and step off the road.

I pay the taxes for these roads. They are for transportation, not recreation. They need to stop and let cars pass them. Its total BS.

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 10:55 AM
link   
You have just ranted on something I've ranted on for years. Where I live we have bike lanes but, do cyclist use them? Some do, too many don't and have major attitudes if you want to get around them.

On my way to work one morning two cyclists were in the road side by side and not in the bike lane. As I approached them I slowed down and hit my horn with a short blast to let them know I needed to get by. For the record I did not lay on the horn, and only did a short blast so as not to startle them. This idiot stopped his bike in the middle of the road and started screaming at me obscenely. Then he and his partner got back on their bikes and stayed in the road so that I could not get around them until oncoming traffic had passed.

Let me tell you, I was so angry that if I had not known better I could have rammed my car right over them and kept on going. Luckily I've never been one to give in to road rage, but I can understand why some people just cave when the rage hits.

To the poster that says more people need to ride bikes, not everyone lives within a few miles of their job site. There will always be commuter traffic to people's places of employment. Bike lanes are there for a reason, for cyclists to use and not clog up the roadways, it's really a simple to understand logic.

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 11:00 AM
link   
a reply to: 2manyholes

"Its really simple to understand logic"

Yet motorists don't have the cranial capacity to understand that traffic jams and congestion are caused by too many cars, not the odd fitness fanatic out for his morning ride.

Deary me.

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 11:15 AM
link   

haha I have to join this rant on people on bikes...I can't stand it seeing them all dressed up as lance armstrong going two miles an hour in front of my car signalling all over....I don't get why they are in the road...go drive somewhere then take your bike out where no cars are.....then they get hit and killed by crappy car drivers and we are all supposed to feel awful. If you are on a bicycle on a busy road you increase your chances of death...its the same as smoking..you smoke....you risk getting cancer etc.

Bike lanes are so confusing too. In the last city I was in they made a wonderful bike path all through nature that was basically only for bikes and it was such a good idea.

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 11:51 AM
link   
I lived in a small town for nearly 10 years. The bicyclists, ones who were weekenders, took over the entire roads. The selfishness. Even with a F350 Duly behind them, they would not move.

We get it, you believe you're in shape, you think the rules of the road do not apply to you.

Bicyclist meets airhorn that won't stop honking, bicyclist moves.

Real bikers have better manners than them.

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 01:19 PM
link   
On your left!!!!!!!

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 01:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Eliyahu

On your left!!!!!!!

LOL I hear that about a thousand times every time I go out walking on the creek trail. Often times with a little bike bell as well.

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 02:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Briles1207

Are you a city council person? hahah you sound exactly like them.

the thing of it is my city is going through like a weird period wear rent and the cost of living is going up exponentially near the downtown area where a good chunk of the populace work. so what I think is going to start trending is more people are going to do the long commute as opposed to being able to bike to work.

side note how do people do that arent you sweaty and stuff going into work if you bike ride there. we have hills here big hills! hahah

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Us Cyclists are going to take the roads back.

motorists stole them from us in the first place!

Its time for less polution!!!

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 02:40 PM
link   

no I respectfully disagree one of the problems for having congestion and traffic is to few lanes. and when you cut lanes for BICYCLE lanes(I raised my voice at bicycle) it makes traffic worse

Does city council think that adding a bicycle lane is going to convert a person who drives there car into a bicycle person.

Its almost vampiric isn't it.

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Briles, there is a huge difference between a recreational cyclist and someone trying to get to their job to earn a living.

My point was that this city I live in spent a great deal of money to put in bike lanes for the recreational cyclist so that there could be harmony on the roads. These fools I had to deal with were not happy with their allotted lanes apparently.

Yes, I'll agree with you that the roads are crammed with automobiles, but it has absolutely nothing to do with "cranial capacity". It is the world that we live in. Gone for the most part is the ability to work close to home for so many. What is their option if not a vehicle when public transportation is not available in their local? The public transportation that is available in my city is a joke. It travels the main through way and will take you to Walmart, the grocery store and points in between but not off the beaten path.

Furthermore, cyclists do not have the right away on the roadways, that is for the automobiles.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join