It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mike Tyson Lashes at Reporter For Bringing up Rape Conviction

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 10:06 AM
link   
Caution: Extreme Language

uproxx.com...

Mike Tyson is currently in Toronto to stump for Rob Ford for mayor. While appearing on local news station CP24 earlier today, he was asked whether his endorsement could actually hurt Ford’s campaign, considering he’s a convicted rapist. It’s a legitimate question, but Tyson was having none of it.

“Thank you for coming.” “F--- you.”

theurbantwist.com...

Former world champion boxer Mike Tyson made news for recently meeting with controversial Toronto mayor Rob Ford, who is running for re-election.

During an interview on Canada’s CP24 News, which was first posted by deadspin.com, Tyson went on an expletive-filled rant after host Nathan Downer asked him if his past as a convicted rapist would hurt Ford’s chances for another term in office.

Tyson, was accompanied by his representative during the segment, who tried to direct the conversation toward the retired fighter’s one-man show, “Mike Tyson: Undisputed Truth,” but Tyson continued to direct his ire toward Downer.

After Tyson called the host a “rat piece of s–t,” Downer quickly brought the interview to a close.

Downer later took to Twitter to apologize for the exchange.

Man I am so surprised how well Mike handled his composure to not knock out this guy for bringing up his past. That comment was totally inappropriate...but I still wished Tyson would have knocked him out.
edit on 11-9-2014 by Skywatcher2011 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 10:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Skywatcher2011

Man I am so surprised how well Mike handled his composure to not knock out this guy for bringing up his past.

He didn't bite his ear off either!
Mike seems to be very subdued nowadays.

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 10:13 AM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

I like Mike Tyson, I think he means well in life (nowadays) and has a good heart. Sure he did a "few" bad things in his past, but who hasn't put skeletons in their closet right?

That said, I did think about the ear biting too...but MT is a very calm pitbull....I am glad he made those comments to the reporter - questions like that are so slimy and disrespectful.
edit on 11-9-2014 by Skywatcher2011 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Mike handling his composure to not knock this guy out is a joke. For one that would have been assault, two it was a valid question to be asked and offense shouldn't have been taken. He knows what running for mayor entails and being asked questions about your past is one of them. Mike's response and his conviction are two reasons alone he shouldn't be in the running let alone the winner. People who think Mike handled this well are partly whats wrong with society... Just like the rest of us.

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 10:15 AM
link   

Skeletons in the closet sure... biting off someones ear and raping one or possibly more people are not skeletons that should be forgotten.

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 10:20 AM
link   
a reply to: Antipathy17

Sometimes you have to be yourself and not a fake on tv. People like honesty....and if you speak how you feel about someone, at least you are being yourself. Kudos to Mike for calling out Downer for his commentary....Downer chose to step into the ring with it, so expect a fighter to respond accordingly.

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Downer could have worded it quite differently if he was not trying to antagonize Tyson directly. I heard the interview on radio this morning and it was a sleazy approach meant to bait him.

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 10:31 AM
link   
a reply to: aboutface

I agree with you 100%...but even if Downer didn't mean to bring up the rape word but unconsciously he did, that alone would tell you what kind of personality the reporter has...doesn't it?

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Mike Tyson is an asshat with an entitlement complex. I can't say enough bad about him. He's a huge cry baby. He didn't "handle this well" at all! Stop making excuses for him. He's a rapist.

He had a rough past. VERY rough. But it's time he grew up and stopped responding the way he did at 13. If he's going to be on LIVE TV, he needs to learn how to talk to people. Not everyone is going to handle him with kid gloves.
edit on 9/11/2014 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 10:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: Skywatcher2011

I like Mike Tyson, I think he means well in life (nowadays) and has a good heart. Sure he did a "few" bad things in his past, but who hasn't put skeletons in their closet right?

That said, I did think about the ear biting too...but MT is a very calm pitbull....I am glad he made those comments to the reporter - questions like that are so slimy and disrespectful.

Rape and biting someone's ear off are pretty sizeable skeletons.
Tyson is a prick and him running for Mayor is an embarrassment..... the guy is seriously unhinged and messed up.

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 10:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic
But it's time he grew up and stopped responding the way he did at 13. If he's going to be on LIVE TV, he needs to learn how to talk to people. Not everyone is going to handle him with kid gloves.

Exactly... he wants a position of responsibility and authority but can't deal with some tough questions?
He'll never make it man, he'll end up attacking someone before he's ever elected.

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Yeah, we've all raped someone haven't we?

The man has a tattoo on his face for Christ sake, give him both barrels, there is no salvation for what he did.

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 10:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: blupblup

Tyson is a prick and him running for Mayor is an embarrassment...

He's not running for Mayor (Thank Gawd!) He's stumping for Rob Ford, the drugged and drunk Mayor of Toronto. Typical!

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Those of you who don't think its right to call a rapist a rapist need your heads examined.
The fact that anyone would associate with this beast let alone plug him on telly is disgusting.
The reporter had to ask the question about his rape conviction or what kind of a reporter would he be?
Once a beast,always a beast,he wont of changed a bit and probably couldn't even if he maybe for the slightest second wanted to.
O.P.-Liking a rapist and thinking that he should knock people out on tv who even mention that he is a rapist speaks volumes about you.

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 11:14 AM
link   

a reply to: aboutface

I agree with you 100%...but even if Downer didn't mean to bring up the rape word but unconsciously he did, that alone would tell you what kind of personality the reporter has...doesn't it?
Oh the irony from you who thinks it's not OK to use the "rape word" to a convicted rapist and thinks he should"knock out"a reporter for doing so.
Questionable personality much?
I would hate to be a woman and encounter you with that attitude.
edit on 11/9/2014 by glen200376 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 11:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: blupblup

Tyson is a prick and him running for Mayor is an embarrassment...

He's not running for Mayor (Thank Gawd!) He's stumping for Rob Ford, the drugged and drunk Mayor of Toronto. Typical!

Yes, and that was the point that the reporter was making... Is it a good idea to have a convicted rapist (not to mention serial assaulter and ear-biter!) out on the campaign trail for you? The reporter would not have been doing his job if he hadn't asked the question.
edit on b000000302014-09-11T12:10:47-05:0012America/ChicagoThu, 11 Sep 2014 12:10:47 -05001200000014 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 12:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: aboutface
Downer could have worded it quite differently if he was not trying to antagonize Tyson directly. I heard the interview on radio this morning and it was a sleazy approach meant to bait him.

And I think he needs to show he is up to such challenges, ***if he expects to be elected to an office. This is what (good) reporters do... they challenge people to prove their intent. I don't think Mike responded well-- he cussed the guy out. He can't use his fame-name and expect his past to not tag along.

***Just saw above post that Mike is not running, he is stumping, so please accept this alteration to the above:

"if he expects to stump for a guy running for office."
edit on 9/11/2014 by new_here because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 09:51 AM
link   

Oh well... what do I know?

I thought that's what they said... I was more looking at Tyson and thinking he was going to smack the guy.
After Arnie, Reagan and whoever else, I wouldn't be surprised if Tyson ran for something.

new topics

top topics

join