It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

T-ray Goggles Could See Through Walls and Skin !

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 07:04 AM
link   
Before this invention everything had to be super cooled or as low as -452 degrees Fahrenheit.. Not easy to carry around that type of rig !

But now a group of researchers from the University of Maryland has used graphene — an atom-thick sheet of carbon — as a sensor that can detect T-rays at room temperature.

Because the graphene detector can be made fairly easily, the researchers think arrays of detector pixels could be amassed into lenses in night-vision goggles that could see through walls or through clothing, the way that airport scanners do.

news.discovery.com...

I can think of all kinds of good things such goggles could be used for such as fire and rescue, military applications and even as the article states applications in radio astronomy to detect faint radiation in the cosmos.

One of the comments on the article did mention how Nudity was illegal in most places yet they spend money to see through clothes.. I thought that was rather cute !

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 07:28 AM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

pfff...through skin ?

Not good enough. It should stop at the skin, but go through clothing...now that would be an invention worth buying.

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 07:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: MarioOnTheFly

pfff...through skin ?

Not good enough. It should stop at the skin, but go through clothing...now that would be an invention worth buying.

And a Victoria Secret fashion show worth attending...

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 07:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: MarioOnTheFly

pfff...through skin ?

That should be fairly simple with an adjustable power rheostat for it's sensitivity. Maybe?

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 07:46 AM
link   

I have to say, that was somewhat dismayed to be alerted to a virus threat from the linked website. I am not sure what countermeasures you have on your computer, but mine had two alerts from that page, just FYI.

On the matter of the technology itself, I am all for anything which increases the efficacy of search and rescue, and anything which allows human visual acuity to be augmented to allow vision in low light conditions, foggy, misty, smokey, or blizzard conditions, and the like. However, I say that with the rather obvious caveat that these technologies must be above all other things, safe. If there is even the slightest chance that a user might suffer ocular complaints through exposure to some unforeseen radiation issues, or indeed that people targeted with this device for any reason, might suffer as a result, then the whole idea needs to be scrapped in favour of something more passive.

However, aside from those concerns, I am all for it and cannot wait to see what the full range of the applications for this technology will look like long term!

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 08:05 AM
link   

Because the graphene detector can be made fairly easily, the researchers think arrays of detector pixels could be amassed into lenses in night-vision goggles that could see through walls or through clothing, the way that airport scanners do.

Finally after all these years those X Ray specs I ordered as a kid are going to turn up.

I'm sure the security services or local police wouldn't think of using it to spy on me in my house ...would they ?
I love tech but sometimes it scares me.

No virus alerts here.

edit on 11-9-2014 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 04:14 PM
link   
This tech could totally be used by LEO to gain access to homes.

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 04:16 PM
link   
We're going to see a SLEW of new gadgets and inventions utilizing graphene

Tis only the beginning boys and girls, buckle up!

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 08:11 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex
"I'm sure the security services or local police wouldn't think of using it to spy on me in my house ...would they ? "

Of course not, gortex. That would be morally unacceptable and a violation of your constitutional right to privacy. I simply can't believe that our police and security service professionals would do such a thing. Their mission is to protect and serve, and peering into your bedroom is not part of the protocol. Now, I hope that makes you feel better about all this.

That's not to say, however, that your discomfort over the technology is totally unjustified. These goggles will surely fall into the hands of people the likes of me, in which case noone is safe. I love technology...

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Wonder if it would work on the sneaky rat bastards using "invisibility" cloaking devices?

top topics

join