It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Mysterious Hellhound of World War I

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 02:28 PM
link   
I'm glad you all are enjoying the story.

Yes, it's definitely the type of story to tell while sitting around the campfire... out in the wilderness... miles from civilization...listening to all the limbs popping in your surroundings... eyes wide... in alert mode...
waiting... just waiting, for something to come out of the bushes and eat you up!!!

LOL

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 01:29 AM
link   
Pretty sure King Arthur & his men had a similar issue with a rabbit...

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 02:32 AM
link   
a reply to: CallmeRaskolnikov

It is an easy mistake to make, unless you had two grandfathers who were in the thick of the Second World War, and would speak about it from time to time, which lends one an innate familiarity with the subject, and renders one easily capable of telling the two apart at a glance!

Generally speaking, if there is a focus on trench warfare, and a no mans land features heavy in the tale, you can be pretty sure that the story relates to the First World War. Obviously it was not the only example of trench fighting, but it is one of the most discussed examples, since so much of that war was fought by people who were up to their eyeballs in mud and corpses. The tactical approach to the Second World War was much more fluid and mobile, with paratroopers, beach landings, tanks, outflanking manoeuvres, bombing runs, bouncing bombs. The First World War was static where the second was in constant motion.

If the allies had been using First World War tactics during the Second World War, they would have had German tanks roll over them and crush their entire force. Luckily the response to the lightning war was as fierce and fluid as was required to counter the threat, and beat those Nazis till their eyeballs bled.

The other difference is, that the civilian death toll during the Second World War was higher, between the gassing, burning, and other sundry executions of unarmed non-combatants by the Nazis, and the industrial slaughter by air raids which both sides participated in, not to mention the use of nuclear weapons near its end. The First World War however had a static battlefront, so aside from the odd drift of chemical weaponised gas floating over and taking out a village, and sickness caused by blockade, it was mostly combatants who died. First World War casualties list about forty percent of their number being non-combatant, where as the Second saw between sixty and sixty seven percent of casualties being inflicted upon those who were not fighting.

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 08:50 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

i couldn't agree more. my grandfather on my dads side was in the ole WWII as a gunners mate. Believe most of his days were spent in the pacific theater side of things. he passed when i was young so unfortunately I never got to really pick his brain when i got older about everything he did and saw during those days. i do have some pictures of him in his navy regale and such and was privy to a some stories when i was young but, i wish i had the foresight to record them so i could listen to them these days.

ATS has become a haven for me during my work days. I'm always trying to squeeze in reading threads and articles between doing my duties at my job. but, yeah, in retrospect it was a pretty dumb oversight. ya know, they're only two completely different world wars and all, lol.

anyway...

it seems that every war has it's paranormal type of horror stories. whether fact or fiction. but, i would think that such gruesome affairs like world wars would really serve as the ideal time for paranormal things to come out of the woodwork. so much negative energy going around.

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 05:41 PM
link   
Yes that is where this theory also lost me-but i do think it could have been a dog that has been trained to kill,maybe augmented by some substance/chemical that would take the aggression into overdrive.Fascinating thread though.a reply to: defcon5

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 06:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Raxoxane

Good to see you, Raxoxane!
Just saying hi. I'm about to leave for work soon.

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 02:51 PM
link   
could be the enemy trying to scare them , trying to weaken their spirits with stories of hell hounds , # with there heads , mess with the bodies to freak them out , great strategy , just my opinion ,

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 03:22 PM
link   
a reply to: sled735
Hyena

Great documentary on the lore of Werewolves.

True Horror: The Werewolf

It turned out that the beast was a Hyena from a
Collector. The people that had been killed had
The same type of wounds.

edit on 18-9-2014 by TucsonOne because: Doc name

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join