It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Chicago high-rise fire injures 25

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by cyberdude78
Winds are between 7-9 mph at the building. BTW Nerdling do you live around Chicago? CBS says the fire is expanding laterally, 5 alarm fire now. Now casualty reports at this time.

I'm in Scotland. I just have a wide network of informants and news sites

There were some fireballs a few minutes ago, looks like there was some kind of backdraft that blew out a window.

The fire has expanded laterally to double its original size!

posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 07:56 PM
link   
Confirmed 12 injuries.

posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 07:59 PM
link   
Reports seem to indicate that there is only one stairwell that is not filled with smoke. I'm seeing firefighters on the floor under the fire, talk about heroism. Reports also seem to indicate that the building does not have sprinklers, fire departments will attempt to put out fire starting at stairwell, expert says fire is most likely between 12,000-16,000 degrees farenheat.

[edit on 12/6/2004 by cyberdude78]

posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Drudge updated.

FLASH: Fire has been going for 1.5 hours and its not contained.... LaSalle Bank Building, 135 South Lasalle in the Loop... Large explosion seen on WLS ... fire moving from one window to another... WLS TV reporting confusion in the stairwells...doors locking... 'firefighters say go back up.....but doors locked'... people shown on CBS WBBM injured in lobby... MORE...

I think they're letting this burn.

posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 08:01 PM
link   
I'll cover ABC or NBC, your choice, Je.

posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 08:03 PM
link   
New report says 8 people have been sent to hospitals. Apparently the firefighters will attempt to use the buildings water system to attack fire directly soon.

posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 08:03 PM
link   
How about we meet in the chat room Skulls and Crossbones? It'd be more effeceint.

posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 08:05 PM
link   
Chats not working for me, another report on ABC 7 says they recently practiced escape routes, thank goodness.

posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 08:06 PM
link   
Practicing doesn't necissarly mean it'll work. For anybody interested in chat I'll be I'll be in Skulls and Crossbones.

posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 08:15 PM
link   
I've been in this building several times over the years

It was built in the 1930s. most of the transit points are centrally located.

Last year we had a fire in the state's high rise building downtown... the fallout from that is still going on. This fire could have a big impact on the political scene in chicago if it looks like Daley and co. didn't learn from their previous mistakes and instaed chose to blow off safety reform suggestions.

posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 08:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by AeroQuake

How did it start in the first place? Is it Arson? Maybe something else? Or a fire in the wiring? What?

Well how on earth do you expect answers like that the fire just broke out less then an hour ago according to my clock.?

Lets worry about getting them out of the building before asking how when and why ok?

posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 08:19 PM
link   
Ah yes, wasn't it the Cook County building that burned down earlier this year? I'm pretty sure Chicago doesn't have much of a sprinkler ordinance. Dailys been taking a lot of heat from various accidents concerning fire, anybody remember the nightclub that burned down. Chicagos full of curses, first the cubs, now it appears Mrs. O'Leary's cow has cursed Chicago.

In the mean time it seems most people have been evacuated and I'm not seeing much new activity on the actual fire.

posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 08:20 PM
link   
CBS2 Reports that Fire Chief has said that they have not and will not put water on this fire until its controllable.

posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 08:21 PM
link   
No news what so ever here in New York. CNN, FOX, MSN! What's up with that?

posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 08:22 PM
link   
yes, it was the county building (though it had some state offices). My memory flubbed up for a second.

In any other city there would have been regime changing fallout from that fire... but in chicago daley can bulldoze an airport and get away scot free. This time, however, a lot of people might have had enough with the sprinkler ordinances.

posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 08:24 PM
link   
Thankfully there doesn't appear to be any loss of life at this time. More than 1/3 of the city's fire department is on the scene. Apparently the only injuries have been from smoke inhalation but no burns luckily. At least ten windows are filled with fire. This fire seems to be expanding laterally quite quickly.

As for Meigs Field being bulldozed, Daily was able to use terrorism as his excuse.

posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 08:24 PM
link   
A sprinkler official said that Daley put in place some laws that would require a full citywide rollout of sprinkler and alarm systems within 12 years. Done in 4 year blocks.

Basic Update from Spokesman: Minor injuries, no hard numbers, hazardous situation.

posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 08:26 PM
link   
btw, I'm at work and so can't check out how this is being reported on other local stations (like WGN or Fox here). People might want to look for the wgn 9 feed on the net since WGN has good chicago coverage (its owned by the Chicago Tribune's parent company). Also... the Trib/WGN have been feuding with Daley for almost a year, now, and so they might have a more critical take on all of this.

posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 08:28 PM
link   
the trib's article
:

www.chicagotribune.com...

posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 08:33 PM
link   
Channel 5 says 2 firefighters are in serious condition, bless their soul. I hate to see heros like them get hurt.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join