It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Chicago high-rise fire injures 25

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 07:31 PM
link   
A 5-11 alarm fire with 2 special alarms broke out at the 45 story LaSalle Bank highrise in downtown Chicago late Monday. The fire started on the 29th floor around 6:30 p.m. (7:30 p.m. ET), and spread to the 30th floor, before it was extinguished. There were people trapped in the building, they were waving their hands out windows and leaning outside to get air. At least thirty ambulances had been dispached to the scene. The fire injured 25 - 12 are fire fighters - 8 of those injured are in critical condition. The cause of the fire remained unknown.

2 Firefighters in "red" condition, seriously injured.
18 people taken to Hospital.
Unknown number of people trapped in building.

CHICAGO (CBS 2) Firefighters battled a four-alarm blaze Monday night in a downtown high-rise, where flames could be seen shooting from the windows.

The fire was reported about 6:3 0 p.m. on possibly the 29th floor of the building of the LaSalle Bank headquarters at 135 South LaSalle Street. There are 45 floors in the building

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

LaSalle Bank is headquartered in Chicago and has $62.8 billion in assets and $36.4 billion in deposits. One of the largest banks in the Midwest and second largest in Chicago, LaSalle Bank serves individuals, small businesses, middle market companies and institutions with streamlined solutions to meet the scope of customers' financial needs. LaSalle has more than 140 retail locations and 500 ATMs throughout Chicago and the neighboring suburbs. Online banking is offered through lasallebank.com.

CBS2
NBC5

More as we get it. Casualty reports at this time are unknown. Terrorism has not yet been discussed. According to reports from the local NBC affiliate it seems the people above the fire were ordered to hold their location.

Live Webcam of Fire

[edit on 8-12-2004 by Banshee]

posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 07:35 PM
link   
How did it start in the first place? Is it Arson? Maybe something else? Or a fire in the wiring? What?

posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 07:36 PM
link   
OMG, it's on the news right now. I doubt it's terrorist in origin though, I'll provide info as I watch the news.

posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 07:37 PM
link   
I'll check too, this is big, really big.

posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 07:38 PM
link   
Currently the fire appears to be restricted to one floor. I don't think it was arson, other wise it would have spread faster, much faster, plus a bigger building would have been targeted. Well this could be worse.

posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 07:39 PM
link   
Fire upgraded from 3 Alarm Fire to 4 Alarm fire. All local units being rerouted to location.

posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 07:40 PM
link   
Here in Central time it's 7:47, so it's after rush hour, this means most likely this was not created intentionally to hurt people, this points away from a well planned terrorist attack.

posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 07:41 PM
link   
It might be terrorist, although me thinks it might be a plane crash if at that. Aheh... It could be Terrorist related, or maybe an accident, hopefully an accident, Lord knows we have enough war going on.

posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 07:42 PM
link   
I'm watching channel 5, and the fire is coming out of only five windows that I can see. The news says that there are still people in need of assistance near the fire.

posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 07:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by cyberdude78
I'm watching channel 5, and the fire is coming out of only five windows that I can see. The news says that there are still people in need of assistance near the fire.

Are you in Chicago? I'm in Missouri and not getting anything on any news channel, local or on Satellite.

posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 07:44 PM
link   
I'm watching a webcast of CBS2 Chicago.

Smoke billowing into stairwells from the 29th and 30th floors.

link   
Do they know if anybody is actually there?

link   
Currently there is no evidence of it being a terrorist attack, seeing as it's a bank most likely there were few highly flamable materials other than paper, furniture etc. Fire starrted on 29th floor according to news, fire department is already rescueing numerous people.

posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by AeroQuake
Do they know if anybody is actually there?

We can see people in the windows leaning out for air.

posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 07:47 PM
link   
I live in a town about 50miles west of Chicago, so I'm getting this on the news a lot. There is a staging area at 30 S. Lasalle St. for family members wanting info. Apparently panic levels weren't too high in the building, things are looking good so far.

posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 07:49 PM
link   
I've just switched to channel 7. Building was supposedly built during Great Depression. It's a 44 story building. Currently at 4 alarm fire. For anybody watching don't watch ABC, currently it's only giving background on the building. Channel 5 is pretty good right now.

[edit on 12/6/2004 by cyberdude78]

posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by cyberdude78
I live in a town about 50miles west of Chicago, so I'm getting this on the news a lot. There is a staging area at 30 S. Lasalle St. for family members wanting info. Apparently panic levels weren't too high in the building, things are looking good so far.

Thank goodness! We don't want more people dead especially if this is associated with a Terrorist attack, although Al Qaeda promised another 9/11 if W. Was elected, (Thank goodness he was!) But like previously stated, it would have been in the morning in the morning rush hour rather then 7:30 p.m.

[edit on 6-12-2004 by AeroQuake]

posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 07:52 PM
link   
CBS2 has ground teams at the site. Best coverage so far.

*UPDATE*

Upgraded to FIVE ALARM fire.

posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 07:54 PM
link   
Winds are between 7-9 mph at the building. BTW Nerdling do you live around Chicago? CBS says the fire is expanding laterally, 5 alarm fire now. Now casualty reports at this time.

posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Ok Nerdling seems to be covering CBS, which is doing an excellent job, so I'll cover NBC and ABC.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join