It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Honolulu to move homeless people from tourist hubs into former internment camps/waste dumps.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 12:20 AM
link   
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

But not a toxic waste dump.
Please show where the article says that the facility would be located on the former dump site.

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 12:21 AM
link   
a reply to: LDragonFire

As soon as that community is built they'll be dispersed or arrested on trumped up threats and charges. You cannot make your own way without the system intruding in some manner.

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 12:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
Here's another former dump:
www.to-hawaii.com...

But tell me, where does the article say that the facility would be on the site of the former dump?

from the OP link

The city also is planning a temporary legal campsite on a remote, mostly industrial island far from resorts, parts of which were previously used as an internment camp and former dump.

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 12:24 AM
link   

I'm sure lots of the material in the dump is toxic in some way. But I don't think the dump was specifically formed to handle hazardous or even radioactive materials.

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 12:24 AM
link   
There used to be a dump on Sand Island.
Sand Island covers more than 500 acres. Do you think the dump covered the whole island? How big do you think the facility is going to be?

edit on 9/11/2014 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 12:25 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

I think the facility is only 5 acres. I'm assuming after the dump was closed in 1999 it became a racetrack eventually.

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 12:29 AM
link   

There used to be a dump on Sand Island.
Sand Island covers more than 500 acres. Do you think the dump covered the whole island? How big do you think the facility is going to be?

i have no idea how large it will be ..do you ?...all i know is the article says the homeless will be moved to this are where parts of it used to be a waste dump.....and we do not know which parts they are going to be moved to and which parts were the dump...unless of course you know something that no-one else seems to at this stage

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 12:30 AM
link   
If you've never enjoyed the first-hand experience, let me say, that the homeless people living on Honolulu are a major problem. You can't have anything nice if they're around. They'll steal it or piss all over it.

The homeless there are like a gang ... like those monkeys in India ... good for absolutely nothing, but protected from great offense by TPTB and political correctness. They 'hang out' in any area long enough and feel like it's their right to be there ... like they own it. The cops won't arrest 'em 'cause it's not worth the time, effort, and trouble. They'd be back a week later doing the same things anyway.

Those a-holes broke into my truck and ripped the entire dash out to steal a $40 stereo. Probably did well over a thousand dollars in damages and the passenger door was never the same again. I lost all sympathy for 'em and have recommended against selecting Hawaii as a vacation destination since (I wouldn't go back to Guam again either ... almost as bad).

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 12:34 AM
link   
a reply to: ArchPlayer
Yes, a growing and concerning trend in cities and states across the nation. While I can understand the concerns of public safety and to a lesser extent, beautification, the method is rather Orwelian. As noted, many disregard because they see internment or FEMA camp and dismiss it as half-baked despite its validity. Though I think we can all agree, our conspiracy minds wonder if this is part of a larger test bed.

That aside, I think this is another example of Government waste, we should consider, for example, that the Government has much land, States and Federal. So, we need to ask, why are homeless not offered room and board in return for maintaining, taking care of, and working these lands? If any Government program would be of use, one such as this could work wonders. Also, if I owned a huge ranch, I would do this myself.

Good post ArchPlayer.

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 12:45 AM
link   
a reply to: urmenimu

Yeah, homelessness isn't such a fun prospect. I'm only days from homelessness myself. That sort of humor isn't appreciated. Thank you for sticking up for common sense and reasoning. That sort of "humor" is part of what's wrong with the homeless issue in the US. People make light of it, ignore it, distort it, and are just glad it's not happening to them. Everyone is distancing themselves from anything to do with anything about reality they do want to face. I'm not too familiar with Hawaii or it's laws and this whole idea of camps, but it's becoming ridiculous that people can't find better solutions than to treat people like scum because of financial hardships that lead to homelessness. Or helping them get out of it. Sometimes people need a little kindness. When stuff happens, people show their true colors. People you thought cared, turn away, or they think it will turn out okay and won't happen.

Believe it or not, it does happen. Sometimes people run out of options.

It's happening to me. Everything I knew and loved will be gone, my safety and my chance at a future, being raped and beaten becomes a huge possibility. My mental health will suffer, it already is shaky as it is dealing with this situation. I can't relax, my anxiety is so high I cannot think about anything else, I panic, I wish to die at times. I'm alone. These are things I have to face whether I like it or not. Some people will tell me that's dramatic. I'm sorry but that's how it is. People are too sheltered from the truth of the matter. They assume too much. It's not funny. It shouldn't ever be. I'm not laughing.

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 12:49 AM
link   
I live near Portland and Portland is a homeless friendly city, and so it is a magnet for them. With that said though I understand their plight it is a serious issue. Every corner has them with their nifty signs and you can not walk down any street without a group always there.

At some point a city needs to setup a camp of some kind because the main streets is not good for them nor everyone else. They already live in in rather nasty areas so what does the OP suggest?

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 12:59 AM
link   
a reply to: rbkruspe

Believe it or not, it does happen. Sometimes people run out of options.

Living in a cardboard tent on a sidewalk is better than living in a place where there are showers, toilets, and health care readily available in a centralized location?

Of course, for some, the notion of a homeless facility is synonymous with internment camp. The people who take advantage of the site will not be trapped there. Yes, there will be curfews. Yes there will be rules. I've never been houseless but I think that situation sounds a lot better than living on a sidewalk and seeing the looks of derision and resentment from passersby. Better than crapping on my "floor".

What do you suggest? Buy them a house?

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 01:06 AM
link   
Decided to not get involved in this topic. But hopefully they can fix the problem.
edit on 9/11/2014 by OptimusCrime because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 01:15 AM
link   
The homeless in Honolulu and many other areas of the island are a huge problem. They are not like the homeless community I was familiar with in areas on the mainland. As Snarl said, they are destructive, often violent and I'm sorry but filthy. When you walk down most sidewalks in many areas of Honolulu you must often walk into the street because they have set up camp with truckloads of belongings, LOTS of (stolen) shopping carts, makeshift shelters and bags and bags of rubbish. Many times I've seen mice, rats, roaches and the like infested in the belongings that are just everywhere. They literally just pee anywhere they please and defecate right along the public walkways as well. It is a truly filthy town. They have no respect for property either and yes, often act like they own the place. Drug use like meth (ice) is rampant and often fuels attacks on other homeless people, passersby, people who confront someone peeing right next to the picnic table they are eating at, anybody really. Certain public parks at times are filled with people camped out with enough belongings to fill a small apartment.
Don't get me wrong, there are also a lot of good people just down on their luck. Those are the people who take advantage of the many shelters, programs and services that are readily available. If you really don't want to be homeless you can make it happen here moreso than other areas I've volunteered at. Sadly, for so many here it has become a chosen way of life.
I just wish that they could realize that if they really want to live a free lifestyle such as homelessness, they could do it by not having piles of trash and dangerous stuff laying all around, using the multitude of free toilet/shower houses at most every beach (all beaches are public) and not roaming around tweeking balls and causing trouble including violence.
The area I live in has tent cities. They are dangerous, filthy and violent. The smell of human waste is horrendous near them and you can literally see people relieving themselves almost every time you drive by if you are looking in that direction. At the same time there are 6 public shower houses in the immediate vicinity, each of which offer at least 4 toilets, water spigots and multi head showers - all free and there is usually toilet paper and electricity. 3 I know are never closed and the others only sometimes are locked up. If they didn't want to be jerks and pee and poop all over the place and in front of everyone they could easily take care of their needs there - for free.
I will have to admit it felt safer and didn't look as bad before, when they were more spread out and mostly in the area of town that was undeveloped. The biggest one is pretty much across the street from 2 homeless shelters and another facility that offers aid. Both shelters have vacancies. Many people refuse to relocate to the shelters because of the zero alcohol and drug policies. It feels hopeless.
The Sand Area location looks like a good idea. I've been in that area and although it wouldn't be my ideal location for a weekend camping trip it would be great for this project.

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 01:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Celestial1

I wasn't thinking about the rats and the roaches, but man does that brings back some memories.

I grew up in Florida. We didn't call 'em roaches ... Floridians called 'em palmetto bugs ... they were huge (and would bite you while you slept. No kidding!! LOL). Honolulu had Florida beat though, in sheer volume. I have Never seen one place with so many roaches.

And the rats ... OMFG. I had a job right off of Waikiki before I moved away. Remember how they had all those shrubs lining the sidewalk? I used to watch the rats 'running' through those shrubs at lunch time. The rats used those bushes like a frikkin' highway ... and 99% of the people walking down the sidewalk right next to 'em were entirely oblivious to their presence. I loved stopping the tourists and pointing that out to them. LOL You'd see the girls just absolutely freak out, because once you've seen it you can't un-see it ... and there are hundreds of 'em just hauling ass through the bushes a foot or two from your legs.

And all the mongooses running all over the place at night. I heard they imported those to kill the rats and just created a second infestation of vermin. LOL

I don't blame those infestations on bums. But, they're another great reason just to avoid Honolulu altogether.

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 01:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Snarl

And all the mongooses running all over the place at night. I heard they imported those to kill the rats and just created a second infestation of vermin. LOL

Mongooses don't really come out at night very much. They are diurnal. They work a different shift from the rats.
A slight miscalculation by the sugar magnates who imported them.

They don't like city life much either, not like rats.
edit on 9/11/2014 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 01:55 AM
link   

a reply to: Snarl

Mongooses don't really come out at night very much. They are diurnal. They work a different shift from the rats.
A slight miscalculation by the sugar magnates who imported them.

They don't like city life much either, not like rats.

Yeah. Come to think of it, I'd mostly catch a glimpse of them when I was coming or going to a dive site, which would've been very early morning or slightly after nightfall ... and definitely outside of the city. Man ... it has been a Long time since I was there.

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 02:21 AM
link   
THey don't build these camps unless they plan to use them. THey just don't build just because.

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 02:33 AM
link   
a reply to: CHinauser

Nothing has been built. But yes, they are planning to build a facility where the houseless can go when they are evicted from the streets.

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 03:25 AM
link   
a reply to: ArchPlayer

I was watching this on the devil box in the u.k a couple of night's ago ,The people on the beach were saying they were getting kicked of and would have to go and live in the mountain's ???

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join